First sub-20 average

  • Mike Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      I got a 19.92 average a little while ago and thought I'd share some
      things I noticed. It was only sub-20 by .08 seconds, but it still
      counts enough for me. My average average is a little under 23.00
      seconds, so this was somewhat unexpected. It beats my previous
      average record by more than a second.

      I was taking an average of 100 (21.67 seconds), and it came 70 or so
      solves in. I got so flustered after I realized I'd broken 20 that I
      got nervous and slowed way down for almost another whole average.
      After that, I got it down to about 20.75 for a while. I did a few
      things different than I usually do, and I think they helped.

      Normally, I can find the cross in the 15 seconds, but I generally
      can't do it blindfolded. For a while, though, tonight, I noticed I
      was able to see the cross within 4 or 5 seconds, and could spend the
      rest of the time memorizing it and planning for my first pair.
      Forcing myself to find at least an edge that will be in the U layer
      after the cross seemed to help a lot. Also, I noticed that I was
      doing the cross much more efficiently than usual. Good cross leads to
      good solves.

      Be flexible in your F2L technique. I made a lot of blocks to start
      with, and made a lot of extended cross solves, or finished my cross
      and conserved a c/e pair. It always gave me great times. I need to
      go read Lars Petrus' page again for more pointers on block starts.

      I know that going slowly for F2L until you get used to it, and then
      gradually speeding up is very helpful for avoiding pauses, but I've
      never been really very good at doing that. Tonight, I focused on just
      being fluid and always doing some sort of turn. I didn't worry so
      much about the speed, just making sure to always be moving something
      (usefully). It helped a lot.

      If you're learning algorithms, decide to yourself ahead of time
      whether or not to use those. I have all but one of the algs for the U
      orientation on COLL down. The last one has been giving me a lot of
      trouble. I'm probably going to switch to a different alg. Anyway,
      the point is that if you have to split second decide whether or not to
      use an alg, it hurts. Just commit yourself to using your older,
      slower method until you can for sure remember your new one.

      Anyway, just thought I'd share a little of my excitement, and offer
      some of the things I noticed to the group. Hopefully this will be of
      use to someone other than me.

      Happy cubing, and may the force be with you.

      -Mike Bennett