Re: my new cube

  • jasmine_ellen
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2002
      The label said Maestro Magic Cube. It was very smooth once I'd lubed
      it. Not perfectly and evenly smooth all around, but mostly pretty
      smooth. Also, it was only AUS$11.95 which is cheaper than the Rubik's
      brand cubes I've seen in Toys 'r' Us and Kmart.

      I've taken this cube apart yet, but I did remove the centre white
      cap. Had this weird plasticy thing unlike other cubes I've seen.

      Apparently a local puzzle store is about to get in some Revenge cubes
      (finally!), but now that I've ordered the Mefferts Xmas pack of cubes
      (which includes a 4x4x4) I will probably just wait for Mefferts.

      Good to hear that the Revenges are making their way to your side of
      the country too! :)

      Jasmine.

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@y..., cubed68 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > cool stuff indeed,if a good cube can be found in Australia than
      that
      > sounds real good to me.most of mine come from the USA via ebay and
      > hate dealing that way,total pain some times.
      >
      > my new cube is still a bit stiff but i think it will be good,except
      > when i have to adjust the spring inside,getting te centre caps off
      > look to be a task in itself.trying to get them out without damaging
      > the caps etc may be tricky...plus glueing the stickers back on
      > with "WHAT" kind glue is another problem.
      >
      > i stumbled across the Rubiks Revenge in my local puzzle shop
      today,i
      > bought it for the heck off it.i`ve heard they are`nt that great
      > although i find the action pretty smooth myself,anyone here got
      one??

      > that all for now
      >
      > Peter
    • Robert Roue
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2002
        > The label said Maestro Magic Cube. It was very smooth once I'd lubed
        > it. Not perfectly and evenly smooth all around, but mostly pretty
        > smooth. Also, it was only AUS$11.95 which is cheaper than the Rubik's
        > brand cubes I've seen in Toys 'r' Us and Kmart.
        >
        > I've taken this cube apart yet, but I did remove the centre white
        > cap. Had this weird plasticy thing unlike other cubes I've seen.

        I had one of them cubes! On the packaging it claimed that it's the
        smoothest turning cube ever. It sure was smooth but I found that it
        would lock up sometimes. I used it for a long time without any lube
        and I didn't think much of it. Then I put a little drop of silicone in
        it and WOW! It stopped locking up and it just flew along! The only
        trouble is, I found it too loose. That could be because I'd worn it in
        a bit too much before the lube.

        If you rub the centre stickers, you should find that there is a hole.
        The plasticy thing is like a rivet. I wonder if these are actually
        made my Mefferts.
      • Kåre Krig
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2002
          From: jasmine_ellen <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Sunday, December 1, 2002 10:38 pm
          Subject: [Speed cubing group] Re: my new cube

          > The label said Maestro Magic Cube. It was very smooth once I'd
          > lubed
          > it. Not perfectly and evenly smooth all around, but mostly pretty
          > smooth. Also, it was only AUS$11.95 which is cheaper than the
          > Rubik's
          > brand cubes I've seen in Toys 'r' Us and Kmart.

          I am using the Maestro cube too. Its the same as Mefferts assambley cube. At least the patent nr. on the box is the same as the nr at mefferts homepage to they should be the same. With the help of some silicon they are good but after a few months they get too loose for my taste. There are no springs to tighten so I just bought a new one. They sell for 39sek, around us$4.

          /Kåre
        • jasmine_ellen
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2002
            Yep. I had totally the same experience with the silicon. I've found
            that silicon always improves a cube, but the difference it made with
            the Maestro cube was AMAZING!!

            The cube is great at the moment but I'd been concerned that it would
            become too loose. I was hoping to find screws when I took off the
            centre white cap, but alas, no. I'm going to go back to the same
            puzzle store on the weekend and get a spare or two if they still have
            any. It's so difficult to find a good cube in Canberra!

            Jasmine.

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@y..., Robert Roue <r.roue@b...> wrote:
            > > The label said Maestro Magic Cube. It was very smooth once I'd
            lubed
            > > it. Not perfectly and evenly smooth all around, but mostly pretty
            > > smooth. Also, it was only AUS$11.95 which is cheaper than the
            Rubik's
            > > brand cubes I've seen in Toys 'r' Us and Kmart.
            > >
            > > I've taken this cube apart yet, but I did remove the centre white
            > > cap. Had this weird plasticy thing unlike other cubes I've seen.
            > >

            > I had one of them cubes! On the packaging it claimed that it's the
            > smoothest turning cube ever. It sure was smooth but I found that
            it
            > would lock up sometimes. I used it for a long time without any
            lube
            > and I didn't think much of it. Then I put a little drop of
            silicone in
            > it and WOW! It stopped locking up and it just flew along! The
            only
            > trouble is, I found it too loose. That could be because I'd worn
            it in
            > a bit too much before the lube.
            >
            > If you rub the centre stickers, you should find that there is a
            hole.
            > The plasticy thing is like a rivet. I wonder if these are actually
            > made my Mefferts.
          • cubed68
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2002
              you`ll love the mefferts 4x4 ,i picked one up last xmas and it is a
              real gem.the turning action is primo......LOL.

              this is the first time i`ve seen the rubiks 4x4 cubes here,i`m hoping
              the stickers will hold out because i`ve heard they are the shitty
              paper/laminate kind...mmmmm.

              worst comes to worst i`ll use a glue called Loctite 401 to put a
              clear hard layer over the stickers,don`t wont too though...all those
              stickers would need 3/4 coats.

              happy cubing Jasmine

              Peter
            • jasmine_ellen
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2002
                I've never heard of Loctite 401 -- I assume it is available from
                hardware stores? What about clear nail polish, would that work too? I
                remember some discussion recently about using coloured nail polish in
                replace of colour stickers. I guess this means that nail polish
                doesn't damage cubes?

                I can't wait to get my new cubes. I know they've got a long way to
                travel so I'm just going to have to wait. :( How long did it take to
                get your cubes from Mefferts to WA?

                Jasmine.

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@y..., cubed68 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > you`ll love the mefferts 4x4 ,i picked one up last xmas and it is a
                > real gem.the turning action is primo......LOL.
                >
                > this is the first time i`ve seen the rubiks 4x4 cubes here,i`m
                hoping
                > the stickers will hold out because i`ve heard they are the shitty
                > paper/laminate kind...mmmmm.
                >
                > worst comes to worst i`ll use a glue called Loctite 401 to put a
                > clear hard layer over the stickers,don`t wont too though...all
                those
                > stickers would need 3/4 coats.
                >
                > happy cubing Jasmine
                >
                > Peter
              • cubed68
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2002
                  yeppers your local hardware should have it.it dries very quick so you
                  have to be very carefull not to touch it or your finger or whatever
                  will be stuck there...LOL.

                  i`m not sure about clear nail polish,worth looking into though.the
                  glue pretty much well stays on and will not flake off like i would
                  imagine polish would.

                  my cubes from Mefferts took about 10 days,pretty quick i thought.when
                  did you order yours ?

                  Peter
                • jasmine_ellen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2002
                    I ordered the cubes last Monday (25 Nov). By 10 days, I assume you
                    mean 10 working days? If so, hopefully I'll see them next Monday!