Cheating by looking

  • Lars Petrus
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28 8:52 PM
      Not to imply that cheating is a big problem or anything, but since
      we're talking about it, I don't think anyone has mentioned the perhaps
      most practical and serious form.

      Since ever competitor gets the same mix, I can look at those solving
      before me and study the position for much longer than 15 seconds. Well,
      personally I can't do much with it, but with blindfolders being able to
      memorize the entire cube in around a minute, I have to think others
      could. And even I could take a few pictures with a digital camera and
      reconstruct the entire position in a few minutes.

      One way to fix that would be to not let competitors see previous
      attempt in the same round, as was done in Budapest 1982, but that makes
      it a lot less fun and requires more organizing resources. And to stop
      cooperating competitors you'd have to take away people's cell phones.

      The rounds go by pretty quickly in the Caltech tournaments, and that
      does minimize the risk, but the only real way to remove this problem
      seems to be to have a unique random mix for each individual solve. That
      would take away a bit of the fun, but I don''t think that would make
      the competitions any less fair.

      /Lars
      PS. I *really* like the two plane version of the rubik timer that
      several people suggested. It's much simpler than my suggestion, and
      solves both the U problem and the 2 second problem.