Re: [Speed cubing group] Valentine's Day

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
      Yeah, it would be nice wouldn't it? To have someone in love with me
      like that? I went around doing some handwriting analysis. My friend
      has a burned CD with a message written on it by a girl who lives very
      close and is good friends with Leyan Lo... so we might be getting
      somewhere. Of course, it's still under investigation. I should scan
      the handwriting sample sometime.

      Tyson Mao
      MSC #631
      California Institute of Technology

      On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Terje Kristensen wrote:

      > I think it's very romantic :) Let's hope it's not a prank :)
      >
      > Terje
    • mikaelnybrg
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
        Hehe!

        That´s really cool!

        Have you studied different algs for solving that state? Maybe there is
        a "hidden" message in the alg? ;)

        Quite unlikely but if it were, it would prove that the whole thing was
        planed to the last detail.

        Happy hunting,
        Mikael
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
          Hey Mikael,

          Let me know if you find an OLL that produces a z-permutation for the
          PLL.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
            Haha, that's brilliant! I love it!

            I think the handwriting is definitely from a girl and the text is from
            a serious speedcuber. I don't want to insult the girls but experience
            shows that these don't go together very often. Also, in "i yearn for
            you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
            right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
            text and the person just writing it weren't the same...

            But even if it's a prank, don't give up hope! Maybe a girl is in love
            with you and asked a speedcuber to help her write a nice text for you
            and then she wrote it :-)

            Hmm, but is that chocolate around the cube? Then you can eliminate
            most people who'd rather eat it than give it away.

            Awaiting the conclusion... Cheers!
            Stefan

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>
            wrote:
            > Hey Everyone,
            >
            > I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?
            >
            > http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG
            >
            > (On the sheet of paper.)
            >
            > to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
            > the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
            > to let you try your finger tricks on me
            > and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve
            >
            > i'd pull the first two layers off myself
            > 'cause that's the algorithm that i know
            > but you would need to do the PLL
            > maybe give the z-permutation a go
            >
            > after the initial inspection is done
            > let me know the orientation that you want
            > i promise that it will be lots of fun
            > just like your tournaments that i haunt
            >
            > i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
            > for you're the best solve i have ever seen
            >
            > Tyson Mao
            > MSC #631
            > California Institute of Technology
          • d_j_salvia
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
              <pochmann@g...> wrote:

              > [snip] Also, in "i yearn for
              > you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
              > right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
              > text and the person just writing it weren't the same...[snip]
              > Stefan

              Hi Stefan,

              The sentence form used by the writer is correct.

              English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from a
              text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
              "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
              has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for] a
              sub-fifteen."

              Regards,

              David J

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:

                > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                > sub-fifteen."

                Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                Grumble... Americans...

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                  It goes on. I was working on physics today. I left my room (I left
                  the door open) for about 10 minutes and went two doors down the hall.
                  When I came back, a yellow rose was placed on my desk. I'm getting
                  kinda scared now... all my friends so far have denied any involvement
                  with this whatsoever.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                    Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                    religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.

                    Hide a webcam somewhere.

                    Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                    R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                    R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                    (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                    ACube finish its work...)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                      So... I actually borrowed a webcam but I have a mac... and it doesn't
                      have the right driver. Oh well.

                      Yeah, shortest orientation algorithm from that state to get to a
                      z-permutation anyway? I doubt the culprit put THAT much thought into
                      it... it's already a very elaborate scheme.

                      On Feb 16, 2005, at 2:43 AM, Stefan Pochmann wrote:

                      > Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                      > religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.
                      >
                      > Hide a webcam somewhere.
                      >
                      > Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                      > R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                      > R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                      > (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                      > ACube finish its work...)

                    • d_j_salvia
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 21, 2005
                        <pochmann@g...> wrote:

                        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                        > <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                        > > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                        > > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                        > > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                        > > sub-fifteen."
                        >
                        > Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                        > celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                        > cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                        > Grumble... Americans...

                        Hi Stefan,

                        That simile *is* written in "clean" Engish; in fact that usage
                        dates back to a time between Chaucer and Shakespeare.

                        Believe it or not, some Americans speak English well.

                        Regards,

                        David J