Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: Valentine's Day

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
      So I was in lab and I came back to my room and it was on my desk. I
      actually didn't notice it at first because Macky was in my room using
      the computer but then suddenly, we realized it was a cube. Then, we
      realized it wasn't just a cube, but it was actually a solve state on
      the cube.

      The hand writing is definitely from a girl but it could easily have
      been a guy's idea and they asked a girl to write it. Still no idea who
      did it. When I find out, I'll put a mug shot of them up or something.

      Tyson Mao
      MSC #631
      California Institute of Technology

      On Feb 14, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Jason Preissig wrote:

      > Thats really funny. Where did you find it? Did someone plant it in
      > your house?
      > That poem was funny! Any idea who wrote it? was it a guy or a girl?
      >
      > More info please, and let the drama unfold!
      >
      > Jason Preissig
    • Terje Kristensen
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
        I think it's very romantic :) Let's hope it's not a prank :)

        Terje

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
          Yeah, it would be nice wouldn't it? To have someone in love with me
          like that? I went around doing some handwriting analysis. My friend
          has a burned CD with a message written on it by a girl who lives very
          close and is good friends with Leyan Lo... so we might be getting
          somewhere. Of course, it's still under investigation. I should scan
          the handwriting sample sometime.

          On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Terje Kristensen wrote:

          > I think it's very romantic :) Let's hope it's not a prank :)
          >
          > Terje
        • mikaelnybrg
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
            Hehe!

            That´s really cool!

            Have you studied different algs for solving that state? Maybe there is
            a "hidden" message in the alg? ;)

            Quite unlikely but if it were, it would prove that the whole thing was
            planed to the last detail.

            Happy hunting,
            Mikael
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
              Hey Mikael,

              Let me know if you find an OLL that produces a z-permutation for the
              PLL.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                Haha, that's brilliant! I love it!

                I think the handwriting is definitely from a girl and the text is from
                a serious speedcuber. I don't want to insult the girls but experience
                shows that these don't go together very often. Also, in "i yearn for
                you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
                right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
                text and the person just writing it weren't the same...

                But even if it's a prank, don't give up hope! Maybe a girl is in love
                with you and asked a speedcuber to help her write a nice text for you
                and then she wrote it :-)

                Hmm, but is that chocolate around the cube? Then you can eliminate
                most people who'd rather eat it than give it away.

                Awaiting the conclusion... Cheers!
                Stefan

                --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>
                wrote:
                > Hey Everyone,
                >
                > I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?
                >
                > http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG
                >
                > (On the sheet of paper.)
                >
                > to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
                > the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
                > to let you try your finger tricks on me
                > and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve
                >
                > i'd pull the first two layers off myself
                > 'cause that's the algorithm that i know
                > but you would need to do the PLL
                > maybe give the z-permutation a go
                >
                > after the initial inspection is done
                > let me know the orientation that you want
                > i promise that it will be lots of fun
                > just like your tournaments that i haunt
                >
                > i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
                > for you're the best solve i have ever seen
                >
                > Tyson Mao
                > MSC #631
                > California Institute of Technology
              • d_j_salvia
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                  <pochmann@g...> wrote:

                  > [snip] Also, in "i yearn for
                  > you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
                  > right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
                  > text and the person just writing it weren't the same...[snip]
                  > Stefan

                  Hi Stefan,

                  The sentence form used by the writer is correct.

                  English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from a
                  text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                  "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                  has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for] a
                  sub-fifteen."

                  Regards,

                  David J

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                    <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:

                    > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                    > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                    > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                    > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                    > sub-fifteen."

                    Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                    celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                    cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                    Grumble... Americans...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                      It goes on. I was working on physics today. I left my room (I left
                      the door open) for about 10 minutes and went two doors down the hall.
                      When I came back, a yellow rose was placed on my desk. I'm getting
                      kinda scared now... all my friends so far have denied any involvement
                      with this whatsoever.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                        Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                        religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.

                        Hide a webcam somewhere.

                        Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                        R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                        R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                        (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                        ACube finish its work...)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                          So... I actually borrowed a webcam but I have a mac... and it doesn't
                          have the right driver. Oh well.

                          Yeah, shortest orientation algorithm from that state to get to a
                          z-permutation anyway? I doubt the culprit put THAT much thought into
                          it... it's already a very elaborate scheme.

                          On Feb 16, 2005, at 2:43 AM, Stefan Pochmann wrote:

                          > Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                          > religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.
                          >
                          > Hide a webcam somewhere.
                          >
                          > Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                          > R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                          > R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                          > (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                          > ACube finish its work...)

                        • d_j_salvia
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 21, 2005
                            <pochmann@g...> wrote:

                            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                            > <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                            > > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                            > > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                            > > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                            > > sub-fifteen."
                            >
                            > Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                            > celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                            > cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                            > Grumble... Americans...

                            Hi Stefan,

                            That simile *is* written in "clean" Engish; in fact that usage
                            dates back to a time between Chaucer and Shakespeare.

                            Believe it or not, some Americans speak English well.

                            Regards,

                            David J