Valentine's Day

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
      Hey Everyone,

      I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?

      http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG

      (On the sheet of paper.)

      to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
      the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
      to let you try your finger tricks on me
      and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve

      i'd pull the first two layers off myself
      'cause that's the algorithm that i know
      but you would need to do the PLL
      maybe give the z-permutation a go

      after the initial inspection is done
      let me know the orientation that you want
      i promise that it will be lots of fun
      just like your tournaments that i haunt

      i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
      for you're the best solve i have ever seen

      Tyson Mao
      MSC #631
      California Institute of Technology
    • Frank Morris
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
        lmao.. cool though

        Tyson Mao <tmao@...> wrote:Hey Everyone,

        I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?

        http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG

        (On the sheet of paper.)

        to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
        the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
        to let you try your finger tricks on me
        and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve

        i'd pull the first two layers off myself
        'cause that's the algorithm that i know
        but you would need to do the PLL
        maybe give the z-permutation a go

        after the initial inspection is done
        let me know the orientation that you want
        i promise that it will be lots of fun
        just like your tournaments that i haunt

        i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
        for you're the best solve i have ever seen

        Tyson Mao
        MSC #631
        California Institute of Technology

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        document.write('');

      • Jason Preissig
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
          Thats really funny. Where did you find it? Did someone plant it in
          your house?
          That poem was funny! Any idea who wrote it? was it a guy or a girl?

          More info please, and let the drama unfold!

          Jason Preissig

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>
          wrote:
          > Hey Everyone,
          >
          > I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?
          >
          > http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG
          >
          > (On the sheet of paper.)
          >
          > to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
          > the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
          > to let you try your finger tricks on me
          > and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve
          >
          > i'd pull the first two layers off myself
          > 'cause that's the algorithm that i know
          > but you would need to do the PLL
          > maybe give the z-permutation a go
          >
          > after the initial inspection is done
          > let me know the orientation that you want
          > i promise that it will be lots of fun
          > just like your tournaments that i haunt
          >
          > i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
          > for you're the best solve i have ever seen
          >
          > Tyson Mao
          > MSC #631
          > California Institute of Technology
        • rubikscubewhiz
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
            that is by far the greatest thing i've seen/heard all day! i wish
            somebody would do something like that for me :[

            ~bobby b

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Preissig"

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
              So I was in lab and I came back to my room and it was on my desk. I
              actually didn't notice it at first because Macky was in my room using
              the computer but then suddenly, we realized it was a cube. Then, we
              realized it wasn't just a cube, but it was actually a solve state on
              the cube.

              The hand writing is definitely from a girl but it could easily have
              been a guy's idea and they asked a girl to write it. Still no idea who
              did it. When I find out, I'll put a mug shot of them up or something.

              On Feb 14, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Jason Preissig wrote:

              > Thats really funny. Where did you find it? Did someone plant it in
              > your house?
              > That poem was funny! Any idea who wrote it? was it a guy or a girl?
              >
              > More info please, and let the drama unfold!
              >
              > Jason Preissig
            • Terje Kristensen
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
                I think it's very romantic :) Let's hope it's not a prank :)

                Terje

                I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?

                http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG

                (On the sheet of paper.)

                to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
                the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
                to let you try your finger tricks on me
                and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve

                i'd pull the first two layers off myself
                'cause that's the algorithm that i know
                but you would need to do the PLL
                maybe give the z-permutation a go

                after the initial inspection is done
                let me know the orientation that you want
                i promise that it will be lots of fun
                just like your tournaments that i haunt

                i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
                for you're the best solve i have ever seen

                Tyson Mao
                MSC #631
                California Institute of Technology

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 14, 2005
                  Yeah, it would be nice wouldn't it? To have someone in love with me
                  like that? I went around doing some handwriting analysis. My friend
                  has a burned CD with a message written on it by a girl who lives very
                  close and is good friends with Leyan Lo... so we might be getting
                  somewhere. Of course, it's still under investigation. I should scan
                  the handwriting sample sometime.

                  On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Terje Kristensen wrote:

                  > I think it's very romantic :) Let's hope it's not a prank :)
                  >
                  > Terje
                • mikaelnybrg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                    Hehe!

                    That´s really cool!

                    Have you studied different algs for solving that state? Maybe there is
                    a "hidden" message in the alg? ;)

                    Quite unlikely but if it were, it would prove that the whole thing was
                    planed to the last detail.

                    Happy hunting,
                    Mikael
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                      Hey Mikael,

                      Let me know if you find an OLL that produces a z-permutation for the
                      PLL.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                        Haha, that's brilliant! I love it!

                        I think the handwriting is definitely from a girl and the text is from
                        a serious speedcuber. I don't want to insult the girls but experience
                        shows that these don't go together very often. Also, in "i yearn for
                        you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
                        right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
                        text and the person just writing it weren't the same...

                        But even if it's a prank, don't give up hope! Maybe a girl is in love
                        with you and asked a speedcuber to help her write a nice text for you
                        and then she wrote it :-)

                        Hmm, but is that chocolate around the cube? Then you can eliminate
                        most people who'd rather eat it than give it away.

                        Awaiting the conclusion... Cheers!
                        Stefan

                        wrote:
                        > Hey Everyone,
                        >
                        > I'm either the victim of a really funny prank, or... or else?!?
                        >
                        > http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tmao/valentine.JPG
                        >
                        > (On the sheet of paper.)
                        >
                        > to feel your hands holding my sides firmly
                        > the same way you grab Rubik's cube to solve
                        > to let you try your finger tricks on me
                        > and have my will, with lubricant, dissolve
                        >
                        > i'd pull the first two layers off myself
                        > 'cause that's the algorithm that i know
                        > but you would need to do the PLL
                        > maybe give the z-permutation a go
                        >
                        > after the initial inspection is done
                        > let me know the orientation that you want
                        > i promise that it will be lots of fun
                        > just like your tournaments that i haunt
                        >
                        > i yearn for you like you a sub-fifteen
                        > for you're the best solve i have ever seen
                        >
                        > Tyson Mao
                        > MSC #631
                        > California Institute of Technology
                      • d_j_salvia
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                          <pochmann@g...> wrote:

                          > [snip] Also, in "i yearn for
                          > you like you a sub-fifteen" I think the second "you" is too much,
                          > right? That makes me think even more that the person inventing the
                          > text and the person just writing it weren't the same...[snip]
                          > Stefan

                          Hi Stefan,

                          The sentence form used by the writer is correct.

                          English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from a
                          text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                          "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                          has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for] a
                          sub-fifteen."

                          Regards,

                          David J

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 15, 2005
                            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                            <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:

                            > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                            > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                            > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                            > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                            > sub-fifteen."

                            Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                            celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                            cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                            Grumble... Americans...

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                              It goes on. I was working on physics today. I left my room (I left
                              the door open) for about 10 minutes and went two doors down the hall.
                              When I came back, a yellow rose was placed on my desk. I'm getting
                              kinda scared now... all my friends so far have denied any involvement
                              with this whatsoever.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                                Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                                religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.

                                Hide a webcam somewhere.

                                Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                                R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                                R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                                (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                                ACube finish its work...)

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 16, 2005
                                  So... I actually borrowed a webcam but I have a mac... and it doesn't
                                  have the right driver. Oh well.

                                  Yeah, shortest orientation algorithm from that state to get to a
                                  z-permutation anyway? I doubt the culprit put THAT much thought into
                                  it... it's already a very elaborate scheme.

                                  On Feb 16, 2005, at 2:43 AM, Stefan Pochmann wrote:

                                  > Maybe it comes straight from God? Maybe you'll want to embrace Greek
                                  > religion, I think they have female gods... not sure.
                                  >
                                  > Hide a webcam somewhere.
                                  >
                                  > Try to find out who knows one of these orientation algs:
                                  > R U' L' B' R B L R2 F' U F (12q, 11f, 11s)
                                  > R B' R' U' R B L R' F U F' L' (12q, 12f, 12s)
                                  > (reaching the other Z-perm takes 16 or 18 quarter turns, didn't let
                                  > ACube finish its work...)

                                • d_j_salvia
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 21, 2005
                                    <pochmann@g...> wrote:

                                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "d_j_salvia"
                                    > <d_j_salvia@y...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > English is structured where sometimes there are parts missing from
                                    > > text which are "understood" to be there. If you remove the second
                                    > > "you" the sentence reads, "i yearn for you like a sub-fifteen" which
                                    > > has a different meaning from, "i yearn for you like you [yearn for]
                                    > > sub-fifteen."
                                    >
                                    > Ah, ok... I've seen that in written interviews with politicians and
                                    > celebrities, but I would've expected a love letter to be written in
                                    > cleaner English ;-) At least the "for" should've been added I'd say.
                                    > Grumble... Americans...

                                    Hi Stefan,

                                    That simile *is* written in "clean" Engish; in fact that usage
                                    dates back to a time between Chaucer and Shakespeare.

                                    Believe it or not, some Americans speak English well.

                                    Regards,

                                    David J