Re: [Speed cubing group] Re: Recruiting more cubers - its a sin!

  • Duncan Dicks
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
      No, no its in the list:
      Seven Sins of speedcubers

      1.. Taking a cube to bed with you
      2.. Solving a cube when you should be working or studying
      3.. Intolerance of those who can't solve the cube
      4.. Frustration at the stupid things people say when they find out you can
      do the cube
      5.. Deliberately popping during a slow solve
      6.. Talking cube jargon to those who have no way of udnerstanding
      7.. Teaching other people to solve the cube
      Anyone want to improve the list feel free.
      I am currently guilty of sin 2 (although not actually solving)!

      Duncan

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Duncan Dicks"
        <duncan@d...> wrote:

        > Seven Sins of speedcubers
        >
        > 1.. Taking a cube to bed with you

        I think this is only a sin if you have a girl/boyfriend or similar.

        > 2.. Solving a cube when you should be working or studying

        Me guilty muchos grande.

        > 4.. Frustration at the stupid things people say when they find out
        you can
        > do the cube

        I'd say there must be a limit after which we're allowed to get
        frustrated. Cause some people get so unbelievably annoying.

        > 5.. Deliberately popping during a slow solve

        Delete "slow". Why should it be allowed in fast solves? And what's
        slow/fast? The "during a solve" should remain, cause it's ok to pop
        just to show someone the mechanism of the cube.

        > 6.. Talking cube jargon to those who have no way of udnerstanding

        It should be allowed after the same limit of #4 is reached.

        And you forgot:
        8.. Peeling stickers off in order to solve unless the cube is
        unsolvable without.

      • Lars Petrus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
          You broke the First Rule of Cube Club!

          *And* the Second Rule.

          /Lars

          On Jan 12, 2005, at 2:52, Duncan Dicks wrote:

          > No, no its in the list:
          > Seven Sins of speedcubers
          >

          > 1.. Taking a cube to bed with you
          > 2.. Solving a cube when you should be working or studying
          > 3.. Intolerance of those who can't solve the cube
          > 4.. Frustration at the stupid things people say when they find out
          > you can
          > do the cube
          > 5.. Deliberately popping during a slow solve
          > 6.. Talking cube jargon to those who have no way of udnerstanding
          > 7.. Teaching other people to solve the cube
          > Anyone want to improve the list feel free.
          > I am currently guilty of sin 2 (although not actually solving)!
          >
          > Duncan
        • Gillian Buchanan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
            At 17:04 12/01/2005, you wrote:
            >You broke the First Rule of Cube Club!
            >
            >*And* the Second Rule.
            >
            >/Lar

            I'm new to the group, what are the rules of cube club that you refer to?

            I've just about relearned how to solve the cube - I used to be able to do
            it in the 1980s in a minute and a half though I know that's slow by this
            group's standards. I'm using my old Singmaster book from 1981 to re-learn
            the basics, and had to get a new cube from Ebay because the old ones I had
            were all sticky and horrible and had lost some of their stickers.

            Got accused of cheating by someone at work today for using instructions
            just to add insult to injury!!

            Gillian

            Gillian Buchanan
            Tatting Editor at Bella Online
            http://www.bellaonline.com/site/tatting
            http://www.craftsnlace.net
          • lkyawkyaw
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
              Frankly im guilty of taking the cube to bed, and solving it as i fall
              asleep :\, and also im guilty of cubing while im suppose to be doing
              my homework, ahhhh!

              even if i do start the club in my school, ill just give them an
              appreciation for the cube, but its up to them to learn the stuff with
              the bunch of algs available on the net.

              i believe they will learn more if they they do it themselves.

              hehe a few tips wont hurt. :P

              --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Gillian Buchanan
              <gmb@c...> wrote:
              > At 17:04 12/01/2005, you wrote:
              > >You broke the First Rule of Cube Club!
              > >
              > >*And* the Second Rule.
              > >
              > >/Lar
              >
              > I'm new to the group, what are the rules of cube club that you refer to?
              >
              > I've just about relearned how to solve the cube - I used to be able
              to do
              > it in the 1980s in a minute and a half though I know that's slow by
              this
              > group's standards. I'm using my old Singmaster book from 1981 to
              re-learn
              > the basics, and had to get a new cube from Ebay because the old ones
              I had
              > were all sticky and horrible and had lost some of their stickers.
              >
              > Got accused of cheating by someone at work today for using instructions
              > just to add insult to injury!!
              >
              > Gillian
              >
              > Gillian Buchanan
              > Tatting Editor at Bella Online
              > http://www.bellaonline.com/site/tatting
              > http://www.craftsnlace.net
            • Rune Wesström
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2005
                And speaking about sins, let us not forget the seven deadly sins, the worst of which was (and is!) arrogance (superbia lat.).