4x4x4

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
      Ok i bought a 4x4x4 from Rubiks.com. I think it's fine. Just needs a little
      greasing. I tried solving it and i managed to finish matching all the edges. So
      when i start solving it like a 3x3x3, something is wrong when i get to OLL and
      PLL. I use the OLL algorithms which should have fixed up the LL but there is
      one corner twisted the wrong way. I notice that it is always twised the wrong
      direction in the OLL stage. So i looked the solution up online and ended up
      going to Chris Hardwick's page which had the solution and some very useful
      algorithms. The thing is, there is no algorithm to fix a messed up corner. He
      has one that fixes two corners when they are switched but the LL has to be
      finished for that. I cannot even finish the LL!

      Is it something wrong with my cube? Should i take that corner out and flip it
      and then try to solve it? Plz HELP!

      -Jim
    • Jim

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
          If a single corner is twisted, then you have to take it out and put it
          in the right way. It is impossible to have a single corner twisted.

          Evan

          On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:40:27 -0000, Jim <psyrules444@...> wrote:

          > Ok i bought a 4x4x4 from Rubiks.com. I think it's fine. Just needs a little
          > greasing. I tried solving it and i managed to finish matching all the edges.
          > So
          > when i start solving it like a 3x3x3, something is wrong when i get to OLL
          > and
          > PLL. I use the OLL algorithms which should have fixed up the LL but there is
          > one corner twisted the wrong way. I notice that it is always twised the
          > wrong
          > direction in the OLL stage. So i looked the solution up online and ended up
          > going to Chris Hardwick's page which had the solution and some very useful
          > algorithms. The thing is, there is no algorithm to fix a messed up corner.
          > He
          > has one that fixes two corners when they are switched but the LL has to be
          > finished for that. I cannot even finish the LL!
          >
          > Is it something wrong with my cube? Should i take that corner out and flip
          > it
          > and then try to solve it? Plz HELP!
          >
          > -Jim

        • joel_vn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2005
            Hi,

            Are you sure the cube was solved when it came out of the package? I
            am not sure if really understand what you mean, but you really make
            it sound like you have a corner twist. If you can solve seven
            corners (their position and orientation), than the last corner is
            solved as well. If this is not the case, the cube is unsolvable. You
            can fix this by taking you cube apart, and putting it back together
            again.

            -Joel

            --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Jim"
            <psyrules444@y...> wrote:

            > Ok i bought a 4x4x4 from Rubiks.com. I think it's fine. Just needs
            a little
            > greasing. I tried solving it and i managed to finish matching all
            the edges. So
            > when i start solving it like a 3x3x3, something is wrong when i
            get to OLL and
            > PLL. I use the OLL algorithms which should have fixed up the LL
            but there is
            > one corner twisted the wrong way. I notice that it is always
            twised the wrong
            > direction in the OLL stage. So i looked the solution up online and
            ended up
            > going to Chris Hardwick's page which had the solution and some
            very useful
            > algorithms. The thing is, there is no algorithm to fix a messed up
            corner. He
            > has one that fixes two corners when they are switched but the LL
            has to be
            > finished for that. I cannot even finish the LL!
            >
            > Is it something wrong with my cube? Should i take that corner out
            and flip it
            > and then try to solve it? Plz HELP!
            >
            > -Jim
          • JohnLouis Louis
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2005
              I am anewbie here. Yes, I solved 4*4*4 yesterday for the first time in 8 hours following chris hardwick's page. Thanks to him.
              I think, Jim faced the same problem I faced. I think, he means the cornors are not properly fixed and not only one cornor is twisted.
              What I did was I just switched edges and the cornors became solvable and finally I switched the edges. The cube was solved.
              I am sorry, if I have confused you furthur.

              Let me thank chris once again for making me to solve 4*4*4 cube.
              John Louis

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 1, 2006
                  i havnt been speedcubing for too long but i get low 30 averages. ive
                  been practicing the 4x4x4 solving but cant seem to do better than low
                  2 minutes solves. i think its b/c it takes me about a 1:15 to solve
                  the centers and edges. i use 2 pair chain solving for the edges. are
                  there any tips anyone can give me to help me speed that up? and the
                  parity algs really slow me down. it takes me about 13 secs to do the
                  edge flip parity and about 10 to do the edges swap one. so again if
                  anyone has anything that may help let me know.
                • pjgat09
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 1, 2006
                    I'm taking about the same ammount of time as you are. What alg are you
                    using for the edge swap? I think 10 sec is quite a bit for that alg.
                    Heres the alg I (and others) are using: r2 U2 r2 U2u2 r2 u2

                    Hope that helps!

                    Peter Greenwood

                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "washyourmonkey"
                    <washyourmonkey@y...> wrote:

                    > i havnt been speedcubing for too long but i get low 30 averages. ive
                    > been practicing the 4x4x4 solving but cant seem to do better than low
                    > 2 minutes solves. i think its b/c it takes me about a 1:15 to solve
                    > the centers and edges. i use 2 pair chain solving for the edges. are
                    > there any tips anyone can give me to help me speed that up? and the
                    > parity algs really slow me down. it takes me about 13 secs to do the
                    > edge flip parity and about 10 to do the edges swap one. so again if
                    > anyone has anything that may help let me know.

                  • eric hatch
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 1, 2006
                      for the edge swap i use U2u2 R2r2 U2 r2 U2 R2r2 U2u2 i think that right

                      <washyourmonkey@y...> wrote:

                      > i havnt been speedcubing for too long but i get low 30 averages. ive
                      > been practicing the 4x4x4 solving but cant seem to do better than low
                      > 2 minutes solves. i think its b/c it takes me about a 1:15 to solve
                      > the centers and edges. i use 2 pair chain solving for the edges. are
                      > there any tips anyone can give me to help me speed that up? and the
                      > parity algs really slow me down. it takes me about 13 secs to do the
                      > edge flip parity and about 10 to do the edges swap one. so again if
                      > anyone has anything that may help let me know.

                      Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

                    • pjgat09
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 1, 2006
                        Yes, thats correct. Its about as fast as my alg, which is about 3.5-4
                        seconds. Is that 10 seconds you mentioned correct? Perhaps you should
                        practice it more?

                        Peter Greenwood

                        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, eric hatch
                        <washyourmonkey@y...> wrote:

                        > for the edge swap i use U2u2 R2r2 U2 r2 U2 R2r2 U2u2 i think that
                        right

                        > pjgat09 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > I'm taking about the same ammount of time as you are. What alg are you
                        > using for the edge swap? I think 10 sec is quite a bit for that alg.
                        > Heres the alg I (and others) are using: r2 U2 r2 U2u2 r2 u2
                        >
                        > Hope that helps!
                        >
                        > Peter Greenwood
                        >
                        > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "washyourmonkey"
                        > <washyourmonkey@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i havnt been speedcubing for too long but i get low 30 averages. ive
                        > > been practicing the 4x4x4 solving but cant seem to do better than low
                        > > 2 minutes solves. i think its b/c it takes me about a 1:15 to solve
                        > > the centers and edges. i use 2 pair chain solving for the edges. are
                        > > there any tips anyone can give me to help me speed that up? and the
                        > > parity algs really slow me down. it takes me about 13 secs to do the
                        > > edge flip parity and about 10 to do the edges swap one. so again if
                        > > anyone has anything that may help let me know.

                        > Jigsaw puzzle game Free puzzle inlay games Educational
                        game and puzzle Word puzzle game Kid puzzle game Puzzle games

                        Service.

                      • eric hatch

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
                            Theres many sites to help you do that: