Re: [Speed cubing group] Petrus- breakdown # of moves

  • Lars Petrus
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      It depends what you mean. If you're solving for speed, you'll use more
      moves than if you think about every step.

      If you mean the average for a perfect solution treating each step in
      isolation, I would guess it's something like this:

      S1: 5-6
      S2: 5 or so
      S3: 5
      S4: Hardest to say... 10-12 maybe

      If you're doing the final layer strictly as the individual steps I
      think you'll get S5: 6, S6: 9, S7: 9

      That adds up to about 50. I expect anyone who does it seriously to
      learn more than those simple steps, and you'll get fewer moves the
      better you get. In my new final layer approach I get under 15 moves for
      the final layer, which would give you 41.

      An other sample is my 13 solutions on my example page which had these
      averages:

      * S1+S2: 10.2 turns
      * S3: 5.6 turns
      * S4: 11.3 turns
      * S5-7: 15.4 turns
      * Total: 42.5 turns

      This method is much less explored than Fridrich, so there isn't nearly
      as much info around.

      /Lars