Negative Time Cubing

  • psycho_tycho@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
      There is only one day of the year where one can leave the drudgery of Caltech academic
      life and sprint off for a chili burger, chili dog, and chili fries in a timely manner. A very
      timely manner indeed... so timely that one can actually return before he departs.

      This is the way of the Negative-Time Tommy's run. On one day of the year, a little bit
      before the first 2 AM, Caltech students hope in their cars and make a dash for the
      originally Tommy's in Beverly Hills for some items with a lot of chili. The goal is to simply
      return before you left. If you are skilled, you may attempt the trifecta which consists of
      the burger with extra chili, the hot dog with extra chili, and the fries with extra chili.

      Last year, I missed achieving negative time because of an accident on Highway 101. Our
      total time was 4 minutes. Of course, last year, I did achieve negative time cubing at a time
      of negative 59 minutes and 1 second. (I was not very fast back then.)

      I challenge all of you to take part in the negative time solving tradition. We will have a
      website with the one, yes only ONE scramble which you will use for this entire year. The
      date I believe will be October 31, 2004.
    • GameOfDeath2
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
        With hinsight, you could have tried to do much the same on Concorde
        (whilst crossing the international dateline) - of course, it's quite
        difficult to get the timing right.