Waterman (Re: Yet another method)

  • Gilles Roux
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 7:57 AM
      > > Well, too bad they don't describe more precisely how they can
      > > anticipate and avoid this last M-permutation, that's the only thing
      > > I'm really interested in. I've been trying to do this for months,
      > and
      > > it makes me think that it's only interesting in a few special
      > cases.
      >
      > Just my experience:
      > the last turns before the M-permutation are Ux Mx(sometimes Rx) U2.
      > Quite often, you can merge these moves with the last M-permutation
      > and it just disappears (using max. 1 additional) turn...
      > It is not so hard to see that...

      Uh?! Really? :-) Please give an example.
      Is it just about merging it, or avoiding it?

      > Not so good situation is connecting last Ux turn with first U2 turn
      > of M-permutation (saves 2 turs).

      Yes, that's the only optimization I can see. Ok, it's not just a few
      special cases as I said, it happens relatively often (25%, or a little
      bit more if you're thinking about optimizing UE2ME2 for HTM) (I have
      to slow down a bit if I don't want to miss it).
      Is it possible to optimize further and merge Table 5 and the
      M-permutation in a more clever way?

      Gilles.
    • Gilles Roux
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 8:16 AM
        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Gilles Roux"
        <grrroux@f...> wrote:

        > > > Well, too bad they don't describe more precisely how they can
        > > > anticipate and avoid this last M-permutation, that's the only thing
        > > > I'm really interested in. I've been trying to do this for months,
        > > and
        > > > it makes me think that it's only interesting in a few special
        > > cases.
        > >
        > > Just my experience:
        > > the last turns before the M-permutation are Ux Mx(sometimes Rx) U2.
        > > Quite often, you can merge these moves with the last M-permutation
        > > and it just disappears (using max. 1 additional) turn...
        > > It is not so hard to see that...
        >
        > Uh?! Really? :-) Please give an example.
        > Is it just about merging it, or avoiding it?

        Oh ok, with sequences that end with U2.
        But they seem to be pretty rare ;-)