Re: Revenge + Blind = Super!

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2004
      > I just tried it. After almost four hours and around 800 moves I take
      > off the blindfold and ... it's not solved. After analyzing the
      > situation for a while, I'm now quite sure that I forgot to undo a
      "U"
      > move during the last 3-cycle for the X-centers. Too bad. Your turn.

      Actually it can't be the only mistake. I believe now that I also
      3-cycled three X-edges instead of three outer edges at one point. I do
      know I did this at least once but I realized and fixed it. It's
      because I use very similar algorithms for the different cubie types:
      M d M' U M d' M' U'
      l d l' U l d' l' U'
      l D l' U l D' l' U'
      So if I turn d instead of D then I apply the wrong 3-cycle. And it's
      very easy to continue doing d after having done it 25 times in a row ;
      -)

      Next attempt later this week.

      Stefan
    • Rob Butler
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi Stephan and Chris,

        I have just moved to a new city for the new University year
        (Winnipeg) so I have spent the last week getting packed and
        ready etc. Thus I haven't had any time to try to tackle the 5x5x5
        blindfolded as a supercube. I am very keen on trying it. I will
        hopefully be able to work out a solution that takes all the different
        parities into account. (or as you guys point out -- it can be
        worked out while solving) If so I will then practice that solution
        style a couple of times with eyes open before sitting down to
        memorize the whole deal. I'm not too worried about the
        memorization aspect. My blindfold failures are only rarely
        caused by memory lapse - most often I simply forget to undo a
        set-up move :(

        Thanks for all your input on solution strategy. I'm sure that one of
        us will get there eventually.

        Rob

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan