Stickers for the Megaminx

  • jbohanon3
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
      I had only had my Megaminx for about a month and noticed that the
      stickers started falling off. What would be a good way to replace
      them without having to send off?
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
        I worked at Stanford this summer as a counselor and teaching assistant
        and the instructor for the course I was working with (cosmology) was a
        big Rubik's Cube freak. She wasn't very fast at anything but she liked
        the challenge of actually figuring the stuff out.

        Anyway, she had a Megaminx which had the same problems and one night,
        she asked for a few Rubik's Cube sticker sets and proceeded to cut out
        each and every individual sticker for her Megaminx. It looked very
        very good in the end.

        If you've got that type of patience, then go for it and get to work.

        Tyson Mao
        MSC #631
        California Institute of Technology

        On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:22 AM, jbohanon3 wrote:

        > I had only had my Megaminx for about a month and noticed that the
        > stickers started falling off.  What would be a good way to replace
        > them without having to send off?
      • Daniel Hayes
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
          If you can find 12 colors of electrical tape, i swear by the stuff as
          a stickering medium lately. I've got 8 as it is, and I know I can
          get at least one more (not counting black). Wal-mart has a package
          of red,white,yellow,blue, and green for about 4-5 bucks. Then home
          Depot had orange, purple, brown (I haven't bought yet), grey, and
          maybe a few other colors.

          I also made a megaminx sticker template (and cube sticker template) a
          while back. I'll touch it up a bit and post it if you'd like!

          Daniel

          --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@i...>

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
            Megaminx has 12 colors? Or does it have 6?

            On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:40 AM, Daniel Hayes wrote:

            > If you can find 12 colors of electrical tape, i swear by the stuff as
            > a stickering medium lately.  I've got 8 as it is, and I know I can
            > get at least one more (not counting black).  Wal-mart has a package
            > of red,white,yellow,blue, and green for about 4-5 bucks.  Then home
            > Depot had orange, purple, brown (I haven't bought yet), grey, and
            > maybe a few other colors.
            >
            > I also made a megaminx sticker template (and cube sticker template) a
            > while back.  I'll touch it up a bit and post it if you'd like!
            >
            > Daniel

          • Daniel Hayes
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
              You can do it either way. The only ones sold by mefferts are the 6
              color versions now, which allows you to run into parity errors, that
              can't happen on the 12 color minx. I have a mefferts megaminx I've
              painted to be 12 colors, and a 12 color tomy megaminx as well. I
              prefer 12 :)

              I recall on the twisty puzzles forum someone mentioning a 10 color
              version as well, though I don't remember which company made it.

              wrote:
              > Megaminx has 12 colors? Or does it have 6?
              >
              > Tyson Mao
              > MSC #631
              > California Institute of Technology
              >
              > On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:40 AM, Daniel Hayes wrote:
              >
              > > If you can find 12 colors of electrical tape, i swear by the
              stuff as
              > > a stickering medium lately.  I've got 8 as it is, and I know I
              can
              > > get at least one more (not counting black).  Wal-mart has a
              package
              > > of red,white,yellow,blue, and green for about 4-5 bucks.  Then
              home
              > > Depot had orange, purple, brown (I haven't bought yet), grey, and
              > > maybe a few other colors.
              > >
              > > I also made a megaminx sticker template (and cube sticker
              template) a
              > > while back.  I'll touch it up a bit and post it if you'd like!
              > >
              > > Daniel

            • j_rueth
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                I dont think this is really cheating. It s just eliminating a step
                in your solution. If this is considered scheating then we all are
                cheaters. If you have the time and patience to figure out how to
                avoid the parity then more power to you! Its like memorizing the 2
                look. We are eliminating a step, or just condencing the other two.
                But either way we avoid a step in our solution. Thats the way i'm
                looking at it, i guess, maybe i'm misunderstanding this whole thing...
                jake
              • Jonas Koelker
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                  > maybe i'm misunderstanding
                  > this whole thing...
                  > jake

                  I think you are. It's not so much about methods, but
                  about the fact that you can obtain information from
                  the scrambling algorithm which you were actually
                  supposed to spend pre-inspection time on.

                  In other words, the effect of a scramble algorithm
                  _should_ be the same, no matter who does it: zero
                  information for the cuber before inspection; the cube
                  is sufficiently randomized (or semi-randomized, if you
                  wanna go into that discussion).

                  -- Jonas

                • jbohanon3
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                    It seems to me that the parity error should only show up about 50% of
                    the time, but I managed to have to deal with it every time I tried
                    solving it. I was planning on doing a 12-color Megaminx anyway.
                    Maybe I could get two sets of colors for the regular cube (but don't
                    most of them have white?).

                    I'd like to get the template if you don't mind.

                    Someone suggested I superglue the pieces back on. I thought about
                    that, but the problem is, when the first few fell off I didn't notice
                    until a day or two later so I have no clue where all of the pieces
                    are. I was halfway in the middle of a solve and didn't feel like
                    remembering where the missing pieces went so I took it apart and re-
                    assembled the best I could, then peeled off the remaining bad
                    stickers to get it in the solved state (sort of). I must say it was
                    a lot more fun than when a seven-year old was playing with my Revenge
                    and one of the pieces fell out. It was sufficiently screwed up that
                    I didn't want to guess which way the piece went back in, so I
                    literally had to take the whole thing apart.

                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hayes"

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                      > In other words, the effect of a scramble algorithm
                      > _should_ be the same, no matter who does it: zero
                      > information for the cuber before inspection;

                      I totally agree with that. For example, I also think that it should be
                      forbidden to orient the cube as a whole when you do non-inspection
                      records (some people do). I also use random initial button states for
                      Rubik's clock. Simply because when I'm alone I try to simulate the
                      situation that somebody who doesn't know the puzzle scrambles it for
                      me. One exception, though: For Square-1 I don't leave the puzzle with
                      a quarter turn through the middle (e.g. the way it's sold I think).
                      Maybe I/we should ;-)

                      Stefan
                    • Per Kristen Fredlund
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                        Hey!

                        Speaking of megaminx and getting bored of 3x3x3 speedcubing ;-)

                        Does anyone have any idea if there exists an easy solution for the
                        megaminx 2-generator problem? Ie a solution for the <U,F> subgroup.
                        Speaking about the megaminx. Has anyone tried supersolving a
                        megaminx? That is, does anyone take into consideration center
                        orientation when they solve it? Anyone has easy supergroup algs for
                        it? Well, at least the latter problem is much harder than for the
                        3x3x3 cubes due to the lack of middle slice moves ;-)

                        And how about a "5x5x5" equivalent version of the megaminx? That
                        would be quite awesome. I'd rather see that than a 6x6x6 cube or
                        7x7x7 cube, which is just more of the same :D

                        Cheers!

                        -cubix-

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                          > Speaking about the megaminx. Has anyone tried supersolving a
                          > megaminx? That is, does anyone take into consideration center
                          > orientation when they solve it? Anyone has easy supergroup algs for
                          > it?

                          Haven't really tried it yet, but a while ago I constructed an
                          algorithm to orient a single center in 20 moves or so I think. It was
                          just a commutator that was a five-cycle of the corner-edge pairs of
                          the face/layer, you should be able to find it easily. It's easy to
                          choose any orientation you want just by choosing x in U^x. Thank god 5
                          is prime.

                          > due to the lack of middle slice moves ;-)

                          What are you talking about? Think of "R L'" as a middle slice move.
                          Using this, it's also easy to build a two-U-edge-flip using a
                          mono-flip (at UF) in a commutator. That's... uh... 18 face turns. Can
                          you find it?

                          > And how about a "5x5x5" equivalent version of the megaminx? That
                          > would be quite awesome. I'd rather see that than a 6x6x6 cube or
                          > 7x7x7 cube, which is just more of the same :D

                          I agree, though of course I'd like to have *all* these puzzles ;-)

                        • Per Kristen Fredlund
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                            Hey!!

                            > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Pochmann"
                            <pochmann@g...> wrote:
                            > > Speaking about the megaminx. Has anyone tried supersolving a
                            > > megaminx? That is, does anyone take into consideration center
                            > > orientation when they solve it? Anyone has easy supergroup algs
                            for
                            > > it?
                            >
                            > Haven't really tried it yet, but a while ago I constructed an
                            > algorithm to orient a single center in 20 moves or so I think. It
                            was
                            > just a commutator that was a five-cycle of the corner-edge pairs of
                            > the face/layer, you should be able to find it easily.

                            Well, i can see how it's gonna be done. Should be 21 or 23 moves
                            using 2 edge-corner-pair 3-cycles and then finally turning the
                            affected layer to "restore" the 5-cycle. Umm cancellations could
                            bring this number down ;-)

                            It's easy to
                            > choose any orientation you want just by choosing x in U^x. Thank
                            god 5
                            > is prime.
                            >
                            > > due to the lack of middle slice moves ;-)
                            >
                            > What are you talking about?
                            > Think of "R L'" as a middle slice move.

                            Hmm yes, but combining several of those don't have the nice
                            preserving properties of the 3x3x3 equivalents. On 3x3x3 cube one can
                            construct many nice supergroup algs solely using middle slice moves ;-
                            ) However i have found an "easy" but not too short single center
                            rotation like this on the megaminx : (U'R'UR')12 = [R]

                            > Using this, it's also easy to build a two-U-edge-flip using a
                            > mono-flip (at UF) in a commutator. That's... uh... 18 face turns.
                            Can
                            > you find it?

                            Yes thank you i have found that one. But out there exists an 16 move
                            solution which does not appear to be a commutator: M3a 2 flip...(ul,
                            uf) R- F- U+ L- U- L+ F+ R+ L+ F+ U- R+ U+ R- F- L-...(16f, 16u)
                            Taken from : http://web.idirect.com/~cubeman/mega2.html

                            > > And how about a "5x5x5" equivalent version of the megaminx? That
                            > > would be quite awesome. I'd rather see that than a 6x6x6 cube or
                            > > 7x7x7 cube, which is just more of the same :D
                            >
                            > I agree, though of course I'd like to have *all* these puzzles ;-)

                            U didn't answer about the 2-generator problem. Anyone else has any
                            ideas?

                            Good night folks :D

                            -cubix-
                          • Daniel Hayes
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
                              >*snip*
                              > I'd like to get the template if you don't mind.
                              > *snip*

                              http://members.cox.net/swedishlf/Minxtemplate.bmp should work for a
                              Meffert's megaminx. Sorry the quality isn't great, but it should get
                              you approximately the right size stickers. It's big too, about 0.9MB
                              BMP file.

                              Daniel
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 3, 2004
                                > Well, i can see how it's gonna be done. Should be 21 or 23 moves
                                > using 2 edge-corner-pair 3-cycles and then finally turning the
                                > affected layer to "restore" the 5-cycle. Umm cancellations could
                                > bring this number down ;-)

                                Actually I meant what I said: A (direct) 5-cycle. I just tried it
                                again, it's 24 moves. Let "D" be the whole megaminx, just not the
                                U-layer. Now do [(R'DR)Ux(R'D'R)Ux]*3 where x is the rotation you want
                                for the center.

                                > Yes thank you i have found that one. But out there exists an 16 move
                                > solution which does not appear to be a commutator: M3a 2 flip...(ul,
                                > uf) R- F- U+ L- U- L+ F+ R+ L+ F+ U- R+ U+ R- F- L-...(16f, 16u)
                                > Taken from : http://web.idirect.com/~cubeman/mega2.html

                                Bah! Mine is easy to understand and execute ;-)

                                > U didn't answer about the 2-generator problem.

                                That's because I haven't even thought about it for the 3x3 ;-) But I
                                want to think about it for the Square1 sometime...

                              • jbohanon3
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                                  --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen Fredlund"
                                  <aspiring_to_love@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hey!
                                  >
                                  > Speaking of megaminx and getting bored of 3x3x3 speedcubing ;-)

                                  I'm actually not that great at speedcubing. I'm too lazy to learn
                                  all of the F2L, OLL and PLL algorithms, so I use a method I learned
                                  in a book on the solution to the cube with a few of my own tricks to
                                  speed things up. I just recently broke 60 seconds.

                                  > And how about a "5x5x5" equivalent version of the megaminx? That
                                  > would be quite awesome. I'd rather see that than a 6x6x6 cube or
                                  > 7x7x7 cube, which is just more of the same :D

                                  That was one of the first things I thought of after figuring out the
                                  megaminx. It's too bad that the mechanics of something like that
                                  would be such a pain in the butt (although quite fascinating). It
                                  would be much easier to just write a program to simulate it.
                                  Mathematically, you can only fit 12 spheres around an inner sphere,
                                  so you'd probably have very little wiggle room.

                                  Incidentally, are there any pictures online of a dis-assembled
                                  5x5x5? I would never dream of taking mine apart. I'm scared of
                                  breaking it, but I'm even more scared of having to re-assemble it.

                                  It's at times like these that I wish there were more than five
                                  regular polyhedra. Maybe someone could make something analogous to
                                  the 4-dimensional Rubik's cube using the five other regular 4-
                                  dimensional polytopes. The analogue to the Megaminx is an object
                                  with 120 3-dimensional faces, all of which would have to have some
                                  sort of star pattern on them! Oy vey!
                                • Austin Chen
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                                    5x5x5 mechanism:
                                    http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=596

                                    Austin

                                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "jbohanon3"
                                    <jbohanon3@h...> wrote:
                                    > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen
                                    Fredlund"
                                    > <aspiring_to_love@y...> wrote:
                                    > > Hey!
                                    > >
                                    > > Speaking of megaminx and getting bored of 3x3x3 speedcubing ;-)
                                    >
                                    > I'm actually not that great at speedcubing. I'm too lazy to learn
                                    > all of the F2L, OLL and PLL algorithms, so I use a method I
                                    learned
                                    > in a book on the solution to the cube with a few of my own tricks
                                    > speed things up. I just recently broke 60 seconds.
                                    >
                                    > > And how about a "5x5x5" equivalent version of the megaminx? That
                                    > > would be quite awesome. I'd rather see that than a 6x6x6 cube or
                                    > > 7x7x7 cube, which is just more of the same :D
                                    >
                                    > That was one of the first things I thought of after figuring out
                                    the
                                    > megaminx. It's too bad that the mechanics of something like that
                                    > would be such a pain in the butt (although quite fascinating). It
                                    > would be much easier to just write a program to simulate it.
                                    > Mathematically, you can only fit 12 spheres around an inner
                                    sphere,
                                    > so you'd probably have very little wiggle room.
                                    >
                                    > Incidentally, are there any pictures online of a dis-assembled
                                    > 5x5x5? I would never dream of taking mine apart. I'm scared of
                                    > breaking it, but I'm even more scared of having to re-assemble it.
                                    >
                                    > It's at times like these that I wish there were more than five
                                    > regular polyhedra. Maybe someone could make something analogous
                                    > the 4-dimensional Rubik's cube using the five other regular 4-
                                    > dimensional polytopes. The analogue to the Megaminx is an object
                                    > with 120 3-dimensional faces, all of which would have to have some
                                    > sort of star pattern on them! Oy vey!
                                  • Tyson F. Mao
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
                                      Speaking of stickers, the Caltech Rubik's Cube Club (along with Adam) is
                                      thinking about buying a sticker machine. We would basically have a
                                      machine capable of cutting all types of stickers. I'm just writing this
                                      interest so we can gauge the interest of people wanting stickers.