Re: looseness/tightness

  • Per Kristen Fredlund
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hey!

      In my opinion one can't spray a 3x3x3 cube too much. But remember to
      use only high quality silicon spray. Personally i have good
      experience with Chesterton silicon spray, but i guess most brands
      work very well. There has been suggested and used many other
      lubricants for the cube. Some i think u should not use are : oilbased
      sprays like WD40. The cube will be smooth initially. But after a
      while the cube goes real stiff :-( I have seen here in this group
      that some use olive oil. I don't recommend it. Any oil can
      potentially break down the plastic mould that makes up the cubicles.
      But if the cube is looked upon as a pure commodity then some might
      not care the cube will not last long ;-) Any excess lubricant can be
      wiped off easily with a dry cloth. To remove oilbased lubricants can
      be a pain. Silicone spray is washed off easily using lukewarm water.

      When it comes to 4x4x4 cubes, taking them apart for lubing/spraying
      is a bit more involved. The eastsheens are probably best disassembled
      like this :

      Put the cube firmly on a flat surface. Remove the four centercaps of
      the top layer with a pointed knife. They come off quite easily if u
      do it correct. Try a few different points/angles until it works. When
      this is done it's time to unscrew the top "center lock" slightly. It
      can be taken off if so desired. Now u can spray inside the cube. Do
      not remove more pieces or lift the cube. If the cube "falls apart" in
      ur hands it's a pain to assemble it properly :-(. After spraying put
      back the "centre lock". Tighten the screw again. Put on the center
      caps. If necessary repeat for more faces.

      Other 4x4x4 cubes u can remove one or more edgepairs (1 at a time!!)
      and then spray into the cube. The rubiks.com cube is actually quite
      strong. The facecenters have a much stronger foot than the old 4x4x4
      like Master/Revenge. But best way to remove an edge is to turn a
      layer so that an edge is right above another edge. Then use a knife
      to pop the edge out.

      After spraying the cube turn all layers around several times to make
      sure the spray spreads "everywhere" inside. When this is done leave
      the cube for couple of hours to let the silicone dry inside.

      Hmm .. maybe someone should make lubing videos of the various
      cubes ?? ;-)

      -Per K

      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, stradivariuscuber
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I have two questions about the looseness/tightness of a cube.
      >
      > I just got a 3x3x3 that is extremely loose. It pops on the F2L
      > every time. The spring can stretch up to 1.5 mm. I am wondering
      > if there is a way to tighten it so I don't have to return it.
      >
      > Also, can 4x4x4's be lubed? I know they pop easily, but would you
      > recommend it?
      >
      > Thanks for your help
      > Austin
    • stradivariuscuber
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2004
        thanks, guys, for all your help.
        I just have one question- i have never seen an Eastsheen cube.
        where could i possibly get one?

        Austin

        --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Per Kristen

      • Raul
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Brent,

          I'm not ron, macky, or frank, nor am I a sub-20 cuber, but I've noticed myself when I solve in fast and not so fast times. The times when I do the best I'm in a what I call a 'tense' mood. I usually sit while I cube, and I found that sitting up leads to better results than slouching back (which I thought would lead to me being more relaxed and hence faster, but that's not the case). That may seem like an obvious thing, but in fact everything has to be like that, every aspect of your mood/position (body/mind) has to be saying "READY!" because that's when you are best able to focus and look ahead (and actually find useful information). Usually being tense is something we label as negative, but it has some positive side effects that can enhance solving times.

          Brent Morgan <brentmorganmaster@...> wrote:

          hi...
          ok, when im solving, like the fast way... i find myself tense, completely focused, and trying hard to get fast times...and do ok. but when i relaxfully do it, its about 2-5 seconds slower. for you other sub-20ers, (ron, macky, frank, many others..), do you relaxfully get the sub-20s or is it tense and fully-focused?
          -bm

          :)
          --Brent

          - hmmm... forbidden donut -

        • Kyle Bryant
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2004
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=363&item=6100190354&rd=1

            If anyone wants to purchase this FOR ME to celebrate
            my recent graduation, feel free! ;)

            -K-

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Frank Morris
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2004
              Brent Morgan <brentmorganmaster@...> wrote:
              hi...
              ok, when im solving, like the fast way... i find myself tense, completely focused, and trying hard to get fast times...and do ok. but when i relaxfully do it, its about 2-5 seconds slower. for you other sub-20ers, (ron, macky, frank, many others..), do you relaxfully get the sub-20s or is it tense and fully-focused?
              -bm

              :)
              --Brent

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Brent,

              I get my best times when I am relaxed. When I am tensed up, I get a ridiculous number of lock ups and piece pops. I am still very focused, but loose and relaxed.

              Frank

            • Ron van Bruchem
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2004
                Hi friends,

                I think the best mood depends a lot on your style.
                I cube faster when I am concentrated and my hands and head are fully
                relaxed. In that mood I can tell what my times are without watching the
                clock (0.5 second accuracy). When my hands are not relaxed I set bad times,
                even when I think that I set a good time.

                My worst times are set when I am eager to set a good time. So in front of
                people I always say that I will set a time of 17 seconds, which is a good
                target going "slowly", and I often solve in a fluent 15-16 seconds.

                I use some simple tricks (like washing my eyes with cold water, and
                visualizing myself solving a cube with random cases for the steps) to get
                into the best mood.
                One lesson Guus (WC 1982 runner-up) taught me, was to convert the "negative"
                energy from adrenaline into positive energy to set a good performance.
                Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me in competitions yet. :-(
                But it will work for Euro 2004!

                Have fun,

                Ron

                > I'm not ron, macky, or frank, nor am I a sub-20 cuber, but I've noticed
                myself when I solve in fast and not so fast times. The times when I do the
                best I'm in a what I call a 'tense' mood. I usually sit while I cube, and I
                found that sitting up leads to better results than slouching back (which I
                thought would lead to me being more relaxed and hence faster, but that's not
                the case). That may seem like an obvious thing, but in fact everything has
                to be like that, every aspect of your mood/position (body/mind) has to be
                saying "READY!" because that's when you are best able to focus and look
                ahead (and actually find useful information). Usually being tense is
                something we label as negative, but it has some positive side effects that
                can enhance solving times.

                > Brent Morgan <brentmorganmaster@...> wrote:
                >
                > hi...
                > ok, when im solving, like the fast way... i find myself tense, completely
                focused, and trying hard to get fast times...and do ok. but when i
                relaxfully do it, its about 2-5 seconds slower. for you other sub-20ers,
                (ron, macky, frank, many others..), do you relaxfully get the sub-20s or is
                it tense and fully-focused?
                > -bm
                >

                > :)
                > --Brent
                >
                > - hmmm... forbidden donut -

              • Eivind Fonn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2004
                  Hey Per,

                  Where do you get that Chesterton stuff? I figure if you can get it,
                  so can I. Personally I use CRC Silicone Spray which I get at
                  Statoil, but if you have a better option I'm happy to switch.

                • joel_vn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Hey Ron,

                    Thanks for that usefull tip! When I tried this, I told myself to
                    fully relax, and be satisfied with 28 seconds, wich is very slow for
                    me. The first solve I did this way was sub-20, wich is very fast for
                    me. A few solves later, I broke my record for one solve! Funny to
                    see how big the phsychological factor really is.

                    --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ron van Bruchem"