9865Re: "Officialness"

  • adam_s_
    Apr 1, 2004
      A record should be based on whether the rules for the record are met,
      not where the record attempt is made.

      In many sports that are based on performance time, competitors
      wanting to make a record attempt often hand-pick where they will to
      compete. And they usually don't pick world competitions for those
      attempts; in fact, it's well known that the Olympics is not a great
      place for trying to set world records. But as far as I know there's
      no sport where rules specify that records can only be set at the
      Olympics!

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, tmao@i... wrote:
      > I've been hit... I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen right
      now but there will be
      > impacts on the summer tournament and any tournament that Chris
      decides to hold. Read
      > below... we're working it out right now.
      >
      > Hi Tyson
      > I have had quite a lot of negative feedback from people who don't
      think that
      > a local event should be allowed to break the records - the pressure
      of a
      > local event being much less than a world or national event.
      > Not sure what to suggest but think that the record if it gets
      broken can
      > still be submitted as a new record to rubiks.com, speedcubing.com
      and
      > Guinness but the "official" fastest time and "official" record
      remain until
      > beaten at National or International level ?
      > Thoughts ?
      > Dave
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic