9862[Speed cubing group] Re: "Officialness"

  • tmao@its.caltech.edu
    Apr 1, 2004
      I guess I do see some of their concern in having too many events and thus diffusing the
      "hype" about the Rubik's cube... I am beginning to believe that the idea of the record for
      "fastest solve" is flawed. As you all have mentioned, if the record is broken with a lucky
      solve and set at something ridiculous such as 8 seconds, the record becomes
      meaningless. Perhaps the RCC would consider changing their idea of the record to the
      average.

      The Rubik's Cube record is unlike other sporting events. There isn't really a lucky "100
      meter dash". How fast you can run that race is determined by your physical body as well
      as your mental concentration.

      I understand that pressure is a large factor in an international competition... but is it really
      fair to consider pressure as to determine a record? It could also be argued that pressure
      provides an advantageous andrenaline rush or something... I don't know.

      Well, the April 3rd competition will most certainly go on. The July 10 summer
      championships is still on... even if we aren't allowed to break world records, there's no
      reason why speedcubing.com can't have a record category for unofficial official
      tournament records and such. Hopefully we can get some more concrete answers for the
      July 10 tournament.

      Does anyone know if the French competition is official?

      -Tyson

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Kristensen"