42742Re: devil's algorithm

  • Alien
    Sep 20, 2011
      Happy fun cube

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5miheTXjQ

      The cuber

      devil's algorithm
      does anyone know the devil's algorithm?... h_howee
      Jan 5, 2005
      3:38 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      ... You mean the shortest way to scramble a cube? Or what is it?... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 5, 2005
      5:55 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      More like the worst way to solve it. Devil's algorithm is an imagined algorithm that, by being applied over and over again, sorts through every single possible... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 5, 2005
      7:15 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      How about a devil's algorithm that cycles through every LL situation while leaving the F2L intact. That would most likely be easier to find and possibly... Chris Sz...
      dishwashersa...
      Jan 5, 2005
      8:50 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      If you find it, please don't post it here. Assuming it looks random, it'd take a lot of memory: M = 12!*2^12*8!*3^8/12/1260 = 3.43*10^16 That's the minimum... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 5, 2005
      9:35 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Oh, before I forget it: 4325 - The number of years to download it with a 1MBit/sec internet connection. So yeah, please don't fucking post it here ;-) Stefan ... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 5, 2005
      9:46 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      What if I am smart instead? http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~eivindfo/devalg.txt It's 3,847,762,288,469,010,006,992 moves long, but only 3 KiB large. I bet a 1MBit/sec... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 5, 2005
      10:58 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Yaeh yaeh... ok... remember I was assuming it's random ;-) And hey, where's your proof? Ok, not necessary to prove it perfectly formally, but could you... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 6, 2005
      12:09 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      how about god's algorithms? is there a site where i can find them?... h_howee
      Jan 6, 2005
      12:12 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      *Sigh*, always the assumptions ruin my hour of triumph! :) CO stands for Corner Orientation. COC1 twists UFR clockwise and UBR counterclockwise. COC2 does the... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 6, 2005
      12:30 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Ok, thanks a lot. Very very nice! Actually I've once done something quite similar a while ago, so I should've had that idea, too :-) Damn. .. You've built it... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 6, 2005
      5:05 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      ... post. ... Ok, I'm too tired for it tonight, but the point is that these two algorithms, cleverly combined over and over again, will be powerful enough to... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 6, 2005
      5:10 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Ok here's an attempt: Let AC be the cycling alg and AS the swapping alg. My Devil's alg does 3*AC, then AS, then 1*AC, then AS, then 4*AC, then AS, and so on.... Stefan Pochmann
      stefan_pochmann
      Jan 6, 2005
      5:47 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      I would have thought that the "devil's algorithm" would be the shortest way to cycle through all N positions of the cube, i.e. a move sequence N-1 moves long... _jaap
      Jan 6, 2005
      7:40 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      I wasn't aware that it would have to be the shortest one. That makes the problem a bit more delicate. :P Stefan: Nice... your's a bit more elegant :). The Pi... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 6, 2005
      10:29 am
      Re: devil's algorithm
      ... I really like the idea of an explicit algorithm for this; the problem is distinct from finding a Hamiltonian circuit, though obviously that would solve the... mike_go_uk
      Jan 6, 2005
      12:33 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Your depth-first algorithm is this long (worst case scenario): 11,081,777,224,076,574,027,294,514,344,648,207,681,624 moves So I gather mine is _slightly_ more... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 6, 2005
      12:57 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      ... True, indeed. Let's not neglect the practicalities ;) Mike... mike_go_uk
      Jan 6, 2005
      1:20 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Excactly. :) I wrote a little script for those who really have time on their hands: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~eivindfo/devalg.php It serves up the moves in... Eivind Fonn
      betrayedfiber
      Jan 6, 2005
      2:48 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      ... hands: Thank you! This should be a wonderful resource for anyone new to speedsolving. Please, make sure that it is available for the next 120 trillion... mike_go_uk
      Jan 6, 2005
      3:11 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      Woow! A good candidate for next weeks's FMC ;-) "What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again ..." -Frankie goes to Hollywood (1984) </Per> ... into ... Per Kristen Fredlund
      aspiring_to_...
      Jan 6, 2005
      5:39 pm
      Re: devil's algorithm
      I love it :-) Though I think in the recursion steps you should do all 18 possibilities, not only six. It gave me the idea of using this with my two algs: Let...

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, h_howee <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > does anyone know the devil's algorithm?

    • Show all 46 messages in this topic