29739Re: [Speed cubing group] Last Minute Stuff for Nationals 06

  • d_funny007
    Aug 1, 2006
      Good tip, but failing that, do bring a print out of your e-mail
      registration confirmation in order to exploit their half price
      admission offer. I made a reminder a few weeks ago, but even I nearly
      forgot about it when I was packing.

      Anyhow, SanF is *amazing*. It's my first time here. However, it's
      rather crowded downtown between 11am to 7pm for my taste. I guess I
      don't look forward to a dense city as much as I would if I wasn't
      from a dense city myself. Still the archetcture, landscape, and
      diversity here is great. Just becareful of getting mugged (this
      comming form a person who frequents downtowns of Toronto, Detroit,
      and New York). I really didn't think it would be as bad, but I was
      walking around at 1-2am and it got a bit scary. Do avoid Civc Center
      area, as I was later warned by hotel front desk, lol.

      Also if you are a big academic freak, then do visit BerkeleyU. It's
      one of the top 3 when it comes to most branches of mathematics. The
      nieghborhod is reminicent of AA, so it was right up my alley; felt at
      home :). Hem, makes me want to plaster that campus with tournament
      flyers, cuz I bet we could've gotten +20 audience that way.

      Have a safe trip. BTW, your ears might pop riding the subway here...
      BART takes you everywhere, it's very convienient. Well the
      Exploratorium is requires a 15 minute cab ride though (form the
      hotels I suspect you will likely be at).

      Also, when/where will Mr. Cubesmith be?

      Hem, Atante has several computers for internet access, but they
      charge me a little... o_O

      -Doug

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, Tyson Mao <tmao@...>
      wrote:

      > If you show up at the Exploratorium at 9 AM on Friday, you can get
      in
      > free with the rest of the Caltech crew.
      >
      > Tyson Mao
      > Astrophysics '06
      > California Institute of Technology
      >
      > On Jul 30, 2006, at 12:31 PM, d_funny007 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Since I'm about to leave soon, I thought it would be a good idea
      > > start a thread for people to exchange some last-minute info.
      > >
      > > Although most ppl are staying at the Coventry Motor Inn, me,
      Bob, and
      > > ChrisH worked out something over at the Adante Hotel.
      > >
      > > My cell num. is seven three four, 9 tree for, sx 3 sx too. (I am
      > > parinoid of internet bots/cralwers, lol.) Call me if you need a
      ride,
      > > I rented a car and plan to be there for 2 weeks. Say if you want
      to be
      > > picked up from either airport, I'll see what I can do, if you
      contact
      > > me a couple hours prior.
      > >
      > > Is there anything going on Thursday? Setup and going to see the
      > > Exploratorium would be good to do in the afternoon or something.
      > > don't know if that would be a welcome idea though. I think that
      > > Thursday night there might be something at either one of the
      hotel
      > > lobbies or Clancy's place (contact me or him about that).
      > >
      > > I will be doing a lot of touristy stuff, and taking a lot of pics
      > > becasue I'm a photography freak. This time I brought my favorite
      > > camera and will be sure to take many pictures of you guys (some
      vid
      > > too).
      > >
      > > So far I got a good idea of who is and isn't comming. I do hear
      that
      > > Brent is having some difficulty with making arrangments, I fear.
      > > Perhaps if someone is driving from TX and can give him a lift...
      > >
      > > I know San Francisco pretty well guys, probably as well as any
      non-
      > > local that will be attending. Btw, the public transit system
      (BART) is
      > > one of the best in the country. It will take you from the
      airport to a
      > > few blocks from almost anything I can think of (most notably
      Berkeley
      > > U, Union Square, and the Wharf/Piers). Well except maybe the
      > > Exploratorium... I'm not sure how to get there using only BART
      and
      > > cable cars (busses perhaps?). I can help shuttle ppl form the
      Coventry
      > > to the Exploratorium though if that becomes a problem. I know
      that not
      > > all of you can afford a hefty series of cab fares.
      > >
      > > If you want to contact me, call me; I won't be reading this
      forum till
      > > after I come back. Good luck with getting things together, and
      have a
      > > safe trip.
      > >
      > > -Doug (almost packed!!)

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic