10927Re: [Speed cubing group] sub-20 HELP!?

  • joel_vn
    Jun 3, 2004
      Hey Ron,

      Thanks for that usefull tip! When I tried this, I told myself to
      fully relax, and be satisfied with 28 seconds, wich is very slow for
      me. The first solve I did this way was sub-20, wich is very fast for
      me. A few solves later, I broke my record for one solve! Funny to
      see how big the phsychological factor really is.

      --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Ron van Bruchem"
      <rvb@c...> wrote:
      > Hi friends,
      >
      > I think the best mood depends a lot on your style.
      > I cube faster when I am concentrated and my hands and head are
      fully
      > relaxed. In that mood I can tell what my times are without
      watching the
      > clock (0.5 second accuracy). When my hands are not relaxed I set
      bad times,
      > even when I think that I set a good time.
      >
      > My worst times are set when I am eager to set a good time. So in
      front of
      > people I always say that I will set a time of 17 seconds, which is
      a good
      > target going "slowly", and I often solve in a fluent 15-16 seconds.
      >
      > I use some simple tricks (like washing my eyes with cold water, and
      > visualizing myself solving a cube with random cases for the steps)
      to get
      > into the best mood.
      > One lesson Guus (WC 1982 runner-up) taught me, was to convert
      the "negative"
      > energy from adrenaline into positive energy to set a good
      performance.
      > Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me in competitions yet. :-(
      > But it will work for Euro 2004!
      >
      > Have fun,
      >
      > Ron

      I do the
      > best I'm in a what I call a 'tense' mood. I usually sit while I
      cube, and I
      > found that sitting up leads to better results than slouching back
      (which I
      > thought would lead to me being more relaxed and hence faster, but
      that's not
      > the case). That may seem like an obvious thing, but in fact
      everything has
      > to be like that, every aspect of your mood/position (body/mind)
      has to be
      > saying "READY!" because that's when you are best able to focus and
      look
      > ahead (and actually find useful information). Usually being tense
      is
      > something we label as negative, but it has some positive side
      effects that
      > can enhance solving times.
      > >

      > > Brent Morgan <brentmorganmaster@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > hi...
      > > ok, when im solving, like the fast way... i find myself tense,
      completely
      > focused, and trying hard to get fast times...and do ok. but when i
      > relaxfully do it, its about 2-5 seconds slower. for you other sub-
      20ers,
      > (ron, macky, frank, many others..), do you relaxfully get the sub-
      20s or is
      > it tense and fully-focused?
      > > -bm
      > >

      > > :)