10865Re: looseness/tightness

  • Per Kristen Fredlund
    Jun 1, 2004
      Hey!

      In my opinion one can't spray a 3x3x3 cube too much. But remember to
      use only high quality silicon spray. Personally i have good
      experience with Chesterton silicon spray, but i guess most brands
      work very well. There has been suggested and used many other
      lubricants for the cube. Some i think u should not use are : oilbased
      sprays like WD40. The cube will be smooth initially. But after a
      while the cube goes real stiff :-( I have seen here in this group
      that some use olive oil. I don't recommend it. Any oil can
      potentially break down the plastic mould that makes up the cubicles.
      But if the cube is looked upon as a pure commodity then some might
      not care the cube will not last long ;-) Any excess lubricant can be
      wiped off easily with a dry cloth. To remove oilbased lubricants can
      be a pain. Silicone spray is washed off easily using lukewarm water.

      When it comes to 4x4x4 cubes, taking them apart for lubing/spraying
      is a bit more involved. The eastsheens are probably best disassembled
      like this :

      Put the cube firmly on a flat surface. Remove the four centercaps of
      the top layer with a pointed knife. They come off quite easily if u
      do it correct. Try a few different points/angles until it works. When
      this is done it's time to unscrew the top "center lock" slightly. It
      can be taken off if so desired. Now u can spray inside the cube. Do
      not remove more pieces or lift the cube. If the cube "falls apart" in
      ur hands it's a pain to assemble it properly :-(. After spraying put
      back the "centre lock". Tighten the screw again. Put on the center
      caps. If necessary repeat for more faces.

      Other 4x4x4 cubes u can remove one or more edgepairs (1 at a time!!)
      and then spray into the cube. The rubiks.com cube is actually quite
      strong. The facecenters have a much stronger foot than the old 4x4x4
      like Master/Revenge. But best way to remove an edge is to turn a
      layer so that an edge is right above another edge. Then use a knife
      to pop the edge out.

      After spraying the cube turn all layers around several times to make
      sure the spray spreads "everywhere" inside. When this is done leave
      the cube for couple of hours to let the silicone dry inside.

      Hmm .. maybe someone should make lubing videos of the various
      cubes ?? ;-)

      -Per K

      > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, stradivariuscuber
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I have two questions about the looseness/tightness of a cube.
      >
      > I just got a 3x3x3 that is extremely loose. It pops on the F2L
      > every time. The spring can stretch up to 1.5 mm. I am wondering
      > if there is a way to tighten it so I don't have to return it.
      >
      > Also, can 4x4x4's be lubed? I know they pop easily, but would you
      > recommend it?
      >
      > Thanks for your help
      > Austin
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic