1G-3G modes

  • swetterlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
      I know many people are assembling their MSA modules and may not be into operational details. But I have latched onto the 1G, 2G and 3G Modes, which allow the MSA to be operated to 3 GHz. Perhaps that capability will be a motivation to some builders.

      I have posted an MS Word document to the Files section, titled 1G, 2G, 3G Modes.doc, explaining the details of the various modes. I will not give the URL here because I will get it messed up.

      This document contains an explanation and some sample scans, and supplants the scans I posted earlier.

      1G mode is the normal 0-1 GHz mode. 2G mode is the 1-2 GHz mode. 3G mode is 2-3 GHz. Earlier, I stated that only the SA works in 3G mode. But Scotty pointed out a software change that allows the tracking generator to function in 3G mode. So the only thing missing at the moment is phase measurement in 3G mode. Overall, this is a vast expansion of the MSA's capabilities.

      Sam W.
    • n1rx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
        --- In spectrumanalyzer@yahoogroups.com, "swetterlin" <swetterlin@...> wrote:

        > I know many people are assembling their MSA modules and may not be into operational details. But I have latched onto the 1G, 2G and 3G Modes, which allow the MSA to be operated to 3 GHz. Perhaps that capability will be a motivation to some builders.

        Thanks for all your great work with this project, Sam. it truly -is- motivational for me.

        73,
        Bruce, N1RX
      • wb7dmx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
          --- In spectrumanalyzer@yahoogroups.com, "swetterlin" <swetterlin@...> wrote:

          > I know many people are assembling their MSA modules and may not be into operational details. But I have latched onto the 1G, 2G and 3G Modes, which allow the MSA to be operated to 3 GHz. Perhaps that capability will be a motivation to some builders.
          >
          > I have posted an MS Word document to the Files section, titled 1G, 2G, 3G Modes.doc, explaining the details of the various modes. I will not give the URL here because I will get it messed up.
          >
          > This document contains an explanation and some sample scans, and supplants the scans I posted earlier.
          >
          > 1G mode is the normal 0-1 GHz mode. 2G mode is the 1-2 GHz mode. 3G mode is 2-3 GHz. Earlier, I stated that only the SA works in 3G mode. But Scotty pointed out a software change that allows the tracking generator to function in 3G mode. So the only thing missing at the moment is phase measurement in 3G mode. Overall, this is a vast expansion of the MSA's capabilities.
          >
          > Sam W.

          you guys are blowing my mind, comming up with all this new stuff and I don't even have mine all built yet.

          I am going to have fun just learnning how this works in basic mode/functions.
          never used a VNA but read about them all the time, hopefully I will have this all working soon.

          thanks a bunch for all the work you guys have put into this project, its mind boggling for sure.

          bob
          WB7DMX
        • swetterlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2009
            It gets better. I was mistaken about the VNA not operating in 3G Mode. I have updated the documentation and included a VNA scan of a bandpass filter near 3 GHz, with both magnitude and phase response. The filter is actually intended to operate at 1 GHz, but has a secondary passband near 3 GHz, which I could not have seen without 3G mode.

            So all features of the MSA are functional in the 2-3 GHz range. The actual max frequency for mine is 3250 MHz.

            Sam W.

            --- In spectrumanalyzer@yahoogroups.com, "swetterlin" <swetterlin@...> wrote:

            > I know many people are assembling their MSA modules and may not be into operational details. But I have latched onto the 1G, 2G and 3G Modes, which allow the MSA to be operated to 3 GHz. Perhaps that capability will be a motivation to some builders.
            >
            > I have posted an MS Word document to the Files section, titled 1G, 2G, 3G Modes.doc, explaining the details of the various modes. I will not give the URL here because I will get it messed up.
            >
            > This document contains an explanation and some sample scans, and supplants the scans I posted earlier.
            >
            > 1G mode is the normal 0-1 GHz mode. 2G mode is the 1-2 GHz mode. 3G mode is 2-3 GHz. Earlier, I stated that only the SA works in 3G mode. But Scotty pointed out a software change that allows the tracking generator to function in 3G mode. So the only thing missing at the moment is phase measurement in 3G mode. Overall, this is a vast expansion of the MSA's capabilities.
            >
            > Sam W.

          • william sprowls
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2009
              Hi Bob,
               So you think you are having fun now.  Just wait.  When you get the hang of the VNA, you will become the go-to Elmer in your local ham club.  "hey Bob, come over to my house and analyze my antenna".  "hey Bob, come over to the repeater and re-tune the cavities".  "hey Bob.........."
              he he
              Scotty