Re: Ace reissues: ''Honey & Wine''

  • Mick Patrick
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2009
      Jim Allio wrote:
      > I'm giving my first listen to "Honey & Wine: Another
      > Gerry Goffin & Carole King Song Collection," and I've
      > already had to stop doing what I was doing, sit down
      > and repeat the Bobby Vee, Freddie Scott and Connie
      > Stevens tracks before I could move on to the superb
      > Chuck Jackson number.
      >
      > Ace never lets me down. I am so enamoured of its
      > songwriter/producers series and eventually I'll get
      > around to writing about each of the series I've yet
      > to speak about in this forum. That includes two of
      > the Phil's Spectre sets, the Randy Newman and Jackie
      > DeShannon songwriter comps, the Brian Wilson, Burt
      > Bacharach, Jack Nitzsche discs, etc. But for now,
      > I'm gonna kick back and let the rest of "Honey &
      > Wine" flow in. Excellente!

      Thanks, Jim. With luck, Ace will release a third
      volume of Goffin & King songs. My colleague Tony
      Rounce and I haven't started work on the track
      selection yet. So, if anyone can point us towards
      some great songs for consideration, now's your chance.

      Next up is "The Real Thing: The Songs of Ashford,
      Simpson & Armstead", which will be released in about
      three weeks. I think the track list can already be
      viewed on Amazon.co.uk. The next in the series will be
      "Wild Thing: The Songs of Chip Taylor". There are
      others in the pipeline too.

      Meanwhile, the tracklist and promo blurb for "Honey &
      Wine" (Goffin & King, Vol 2) can be viewed here:
      http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7905

      Likewise, the first volume:
      http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7653

      Hey la,

      Mick Patrick
    • Kevin Patrick Hodgkiss
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2009
        Mick Patrick wrote:
        > Thanks, Jim. With luck, Ace will release a third
        > volume of Goffin & King songs. My colleague Tony
        > Rounce and I haven't started work on the track
        > selection yet. So, if anyone can point us towards
        > some great songs for consideration, now's your chance.
        >
        > Next up is "The Real Thing: The Songs of Ashford,
        > Simpson & Armstead", which will be released in about
        > three weeks. I think the track list can already be
        > viewed on Amazon.co.uk. The next in the series will be
        > "Wild Thing: The Songs of Chip Taylor". There are
        > others in the pipeline too.
        >
        > Meanwhile, the tracklist and promo blurb for "Honey &
        > Wine" (Goffin & King, Vol 2) can be viewed here:
        > http://www.acerecor ds.co.uk/ content.php? page_id=59& release=7905
        >
        > Likewise, the first volume:
        > http://www.acerecor ds.co.uk/ content.php? page_id=59& release=7653

        Mick,

        I'm in a Goffin/King haze so I'm lovin' them all but
        for the next comp may I recommend two of my recent
        very faves....Bobby Goldsboro's "The Time For Us".
        Absolutely gorgeous...and Walter Jackson's "Anything
        Can Happen." Glo Macari's "He Knows I Love Him Too
        Much" is always a big blast of beauty too!! Thanks!!

        Kevin
      • Robert Earle
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2009
          Mick Patrick wrote:
          > Ace will release a third volume of Goffin & King songs.
          > My colleague Tony Rounce and I haven't started work on
          > the track selection yet. So, if anyone can point us
          > towards some great songs for consideration, now's your
          > chance.

          I mentioned it once before, but as long as you're
          asking, I'll do so once again, Bobby Goldsboro's
          "The Time For Us".

          Thanks, Robert
        • John Black
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2009
            Jim Allio wrote:
            > I'm giving my first listen to "Honey & Wine: Another
            > Gerry Goffin & Carole King Song Collection," and I've
            > already had to stop doing what I was doing, sit down
            > and repeat the Bobby Vee, Freddie Scott and Connie
            > Stevens tracks before I could move on to the superb
            > Chuck Jackson number.
            >
            > Ace never lets me down. I am so enamoured of its
            > songwriter/producers series and eventually I'll get
            > around to writing about each of the series I've yet
            > to speak about in this forum. That includes two of
            > the Phil's Spectre sets, the Randy Newman and Jackie
            > DeShannon songwriter comps, the Brian Wilson, Burt
            > Bacharach, Jack Nitzsche discs, etc. But for now,
            > I'm gonna kick back and let the rest of "Honey &
            > Wine" flow in. Excellente!

            I've ordered "Honey & Wine," but haven't received it
            yet. I'm especially excited to have Carolyn Daye's
            version of "A Long Way to be Happy" on CD, as it's
            very different from the Darlene Love classic. Never
            thought I'd have that track on CD. Still, it seems
            somewhat odd to have Carolyn Daye on CD, but not any
            tracks from Christine Quaite (at least in the US).

            John Black
          • Mike Dina
            Message 5 of 13 , May 10, 2009
              Mick Patrick:
              > With luck, Ace will release a third volume of
              > Goffin & King songs. My colleague Tony Rounce
              > and I haven't started work on the track selection
              > yet. So, if anyone can point us towards some
              > great songs for consideration, now's your chance.

              Please give some thought to The Chiffons's "Easy To Love,
              But So Hard To Get", written for them by Goffin & King in
              1963 on Laurie Records. A great tune, which was always my
              favorite by The Chiffons. I would love to see this on a
              CD some day.

              Thank you,
              Mike
            • Alan V Karr
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2009
                Mick Patrick:
                > With luck, Ace will release a third volume of
                > Goffin & King songs. My colleague Tony Rounce
                > and I haven't started work on the track selection
                > yet. So, if anyone can point us towards some
                > great songs for consideration, now's your chance.

                There's "Show Me Girl" by Herman's Hermits, "Goin' Back" by Goldie/
                Dusty/Byrds, "I Want To Stay Here" by Steve & Eydie/Miki & Griff,
                "When My Little Girl Is Smiling" by Drifters/Craig Douglas/Jimmy
                Justice, "Sometime In The Morning" by Monkees/Barley-Bree (Factotums),
                "Go Away Little Girl", "The Porpoise Song", any of the Dimension hits ...

                Heck, why not just use the notes from the Goffin-King compilation you
                put together back in 2000 for Sanctuary (now in the Universal fold)
                as reference?

                Maybe the UK-only "What You Got" (Eccentrics) or the Tokens-ish
                "So This Is How It Feels" (The Countrymen) ...

                --Alan V. Karr
              • Tom Diehl
                Message 7 of 13 , May 12, 2009
                  Alan V Karr:
                  > There's "Show Me Girl" by Herman's Hermits, "Goin' Back" by Goldie/
                  > Dusty/Byrds, "I Want To Stay Here" by Steve & Eydie/Miki & Griff ...

                  I always loved Steve & Eydie's version of "I Want To Stay Here", but I've
                  never heard it in stereo. I know they still posess the session master for
                  it but it's unlikely I'll get to hear it in stereo in my lifetime. If anyone
                  could convince them to let a stereo remix be done, the folks at Ace could.

                  Let me add one more song to this list: "Can't Stop Talking About You",
                  by Tobin Matthews on Warner Brothers (#5398). It was also recorded by
                  Steve & Eydie, but I much prefer Tobin's version (which predates the S&E
                  version, I believe). Since Tobin's track is not available on any legitimate
                  CD I have played it to musica.

                  --Tom Diehl
                • Hasse Huss
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2009
                    Mick Patrick:
                    > With luck, Ace will release a third volume of
                    > Goffin & King songs. My colleague Tony Rounce
                    > and I haven't started work on the track selection
                    > yet. So, if anyone can point us towards some
                    > great songs for consideration, now's your chance.

                    One Goffin & King song to consider is the gorgeous Stu Phillips-
                    produced "When I Was 15" by Mary Sneed (Capitol 5291, 1964),
                    which we discussed on Spectropop last year. As I recall, Country
                    Paul thought her name wasn't a particularly commercial proposition,
                    but the song is beautiful, almost a forerunner to "Goin' Back"
                    lyrically, and, as Mike Carter observed, has a melody line that
                    slyly re-invents "The Loco-Motion". It's obscure, too, and there's
                    a bit of Northern Soul interest -- a worthy contender!

                    Hasse Huss
                  • Dan Nowicki
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 19, 2009
                      Mick Patrick:
                      > Next up is "The Real Thing: The Songs of Ashford,
                      > Simpson & Armstead", which will be released in about
                      > three weeks. I think the track list can already be
                      > viewed on Amazon.co.uk. The next in the series will
                      > be "Wild Thing: The Songs of Chip Taylor". There
                      > are others in the pipeline too.

                      Has Ace ever considered putting together a Feldman-Goldstein-
                      Gottehrer (FGG Productions) collection as part of this excellent
                      series? There's certainly more than enough great FGG material
                      to choose from. I would love to see a lot their more obscure
                      45 releases get the Ace CD treatment.

                      Dan Nowicki
                      Scottsdale, Ariz., U.S.A.
                    • Martin Jensen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
                        Dan Nowicki:
                        > Has Ace ever considered putting together a Feldman-Goldstein-
                        > Gottehrer (FGG Productions) collection as part of this excellent
                        > series? There's certainly more than enough great FGG material
                        > to choose from. I would love to see a lot their more obscure
                        > 45 releases get the Ace CD treatment.

                        And to follow up: how about a fourth volume of "Phil's Spectre"?
                        The previous volumes seem to have been steady sellers. Heck, why not
                        a volume that takes the concept into the '70s?

                        Martin, Denmark
                      • John Berg
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
                          Martin Jensen:
                          > And to follow up: how about a fourth volume of "Phil's
                          > Spectre" The previous volumes seem to have been steady
                          > sellers. Heck, why not a volume that takes the concept
                          > into the '70s?

                          Now would be a good time for those of you who lean to "activism"
                          to contact Ace Records (via email, phone or letter) encouraging them
                          that you would be keen on a CD compiling Garry Bonner's solo singles
                          and demos of songs he wrote -- which as you likely know include a
                          substantial number of great songs that became hits for others. The
                          Sundazed comp of tracks by Garry's '60s band The Magicians remains
                          a treasure, but there is so much more to hear -- so please let Ace
                          know you would buy such a CD if they put their minds to it!

                          John Berg, Seattle area
                        • Rick Hough
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
                            Martin Jensen:
                            > And to follow up: how about a fourth volume of "Phil's Spectre"?
                            > The previous volumes seem to have been steady sellers. Heck,
                            > why not a volume that takes the concept into the '70s?

                            Yes Martin, it's time for "Phil's Spectre, vol. 4". I always turn my nose
                            up at a some of Ace's inclusions but end up liking them anyhow. A few
                            well-chosen 70s originals like The Paley Brothers would be great.

                            Here's my wishlist suggestions:

                            Simon & Pi: Sha La La Lee
                            Darlene Love: Standby
                            Tommy Regan: I Adore You
                            Diane Castle: All For The Love Of Mike
                            Timmy Brown: If I Loved You
                            Tony Summers: Make Time Stand Still
                            Walker Brothers: Everything Under The Sun
                            The Victorians: Oh What A Night For Love
                            Jimmy Bardon & Donna Byrd: Till I Met You
                            Marianne Faithfull: Summer Nights
                            Chantrellines: Hold My Hand, Hold My Heart
                            George Bean: Will You Be My Lover Tonight
                            Eddie Hodges: She Doesn't Love Me
                            Gene Pitney: Don't Take Candy From A Stranger
                            Walker Brothers: Everything Under The Sun
                            Paley Brothers: Ecstasy

                            Sounds like a locating and licensing nightmare!