Re: The Sundowners: "Always You"

  • John Berg
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 3:16 PM
      Below is what I found in 5 minutes of "Googling". Apart
      from the "Always You" track appearing on several
      compilations and the Rev-Ola label CD listed below,
      there is also a 12minute and 28 second performance by
      the Sundowners on the Monkees tour in which they
      perform a medley of songs -- file attached here.

      1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFDyeaHVZQ
      "The Sundowners were a music group from Lake George,
      New York. The original line-up included Bobby Dick (bass
      & vocals), Dominick DeMieri (guitar & vocals), Eddie
      Placidi (guitar & vocals), Eddie Brick (lead vocals),
      and Kerim "Kim" Capli (drums). They opened for the
      Monkees famous tour in 67 with Jimi Hendrix. The
      lackluster sales doomed this single but it makes a good
      vehicle for Jenni. Enjoy!"

      2.
      http://www.musicaltaste.com/showsong.php?songtitle=Always%20You%20(Single%20Version)&performer=The%20Sundowners&song_id=2238
      Always You (Single Version) performed by The Sundowners
      (1968)
      Composed by Nichols/Asher
      Arranged by Dominick De Mieri
      From: USA
      Recommended by eftimihn [profile] on Sunday 20th
      June 2004

      "To me this is certainly a pinnacle of pure late 60s
      sunshine pop. Composed by pop genius Roger Nichols the
      timeless, idealistic lyrics were written by Tony Asher
      (who wrote most of the lyrics with Brian Wilson on Pet
      Sounds) not by his regular partner Paul Williams.
      Sunshine pop hardly gets any sunnier than on this
      track: great production, strings galore, Beach Boys-
      esque vocal harmonies, great bassline & trumpet and
      catchy as hell with it's uplifting chord progressions
      throughout. While the album version (recently included
      on the highly recommended "The Get Easy! Sunshine Pop
      Collection") is good already, the single version is
      just crisper, lusher, just perfect."

      3. http://www.answers.com/topic/sundowners and also:
      http://www.weblo.com/music/artist/Sundowners/7812/
      Formed: 1959, Lake George, NY Biography. While pop/
      rockers the Sundowners never scored a hit during their
      career in the mid-'60s, for such a little-known band
      they managed to cast a long shadow, touring with some
      of the biggest acts of the day and appearing on
      television and in major motion pictures. Formed in
      Lake George, NY in 1959, the original lineup of the
      Sundowners consisted of Eddie Brick on lead vocals,
      Dominick DeMieri on lead guitar and vocals, Eddie
      Placidi on guitar and vocals, Bobby Dick on bass and
      vocals, and Kim Capli on drums. In 1965, after earning
      a loyal local following, the group cut a single for
      the Coed Records label, "Leave Me Never" backed with a
      cover of Chuck Berry's "Around and Around." In 1966,
      the Sundowners moved to Los Angeles in hopes of
      shifting their career into high gear, and cut a second
      single for Filmways Records featuring two original
      songs, "Ring out Wild Bells" b/w "When the Sun Goes
      Down." In 1967, the Sundowners were playing an
      engagement at the famed Sunset Strip club Ciro's when
      Michael Nesmith of the Monkees saw the band perform;
      impressed, he invited them to join the group's summer
      concert tour as their opening act, and they also
      backed the Monkees for a show-closing medley of rock
      oldies. (The tour's openers also included Jimi Hendrix
      and Ike & Tina Turner, putting the Sundowners in
      excellent company.) In 1967, they were signed to Decca
      Records, and released the Beatlesque single "Always
      You" b/w "Dear Undecided"; the A-side was written by
      Tony Asher and Roger Nichols, and the sessions were
      produced by studio legend Bones Howe. In 1968, the
      band released their only LP, Captain Nemo, which was
      produced by guitarist DeMieri. While the album would
      become a cult favorite with fans of sunshine pop and
      light psychedelia, it didn't sell well, and the group
      fared better as actors in the year of its release. In
      February, the Sundowners guest starred as "The
      Raspberry Wristwatch" on "A Very Warm Reception," an
      episode of the espionage drama It Takes a Thief, while
      in September they appeared as "Sonny and the
      Sundowners" (with Paul Petersen playing their lead
      singer) on the "Song of Bertrille" episode of the
      comedy The Flying Nun. The Sundowners can also be seen
      and heard briefly in the movie Don't Make Waves, which
      starred Tony Curtis, Claudia Cardinale and Sharon Tate.
      ~ Mark Deming, All Music Guide

      4.
      http://itsgreatshakes.blogspot.com/2006/09/sundowners-dear-undecided.html?showComment=1165468260000
      Friday, September 01, 2006
      The Sundowners - "Dear Undecided"
      A happy holiday weekend to everyone! Today, I thought
      that I'd write about a great pop single. You know, the
      kind with an irresistible hook, that you might spin
      several times in a row. And since The Sundowners have
      been a recent topic of discussion over at the Psychotic
      Reactions forum at garagepunk.com (see link on this
      page), there's not been a better time to blog "Dear
      Undecided". I found this record way over a year ago and
      though I've filed it several times, it always finds its
      way right back on my turntable. That's about the best
      testimonial that I can give a record.

      I don't know a lot about The Sundowners, except that
      they released at least three singles and an album for
      Decca in 1968. They also probably hailed from California,
      since they got to appear on an episode of The Flying Nun
      and also the Robert Wagner spy drama, It Takes A Thief.
      It was on that program that they lip synched to today's
      record.

      "Dear Undecided" was written by band member, Domenic
      DeMurri. It could loosely be called garage pop and even
      has a bit of a mod sound. It's tuneful, with guitars,
      lots of good drumming and background vocals galore. And
      the hook is just incredible. Lyrically, the song is
      about a guy who's willing to wait for a girl's current
      relationship to washout before he gets his chance.

      I've seen "Dear Undecided" described as Beatles
      influenced and I suppose that's true. I also think it
      sounds like The Sundowners had listened to a lot of Who
      singles. Anyhow, the British Invasion plays a major role
      but The Sundowners certainly put their best spin on it
      here and whipped up an unforgettable tune of their own.
      It seems ripe for a revival. I'm surprised that some
      contemporary outfit hasn't remade this with a bigger
      guitar sound and a bit faster tempo.

      The flipside of this gem, "Always You" isn't bad either.
      It falls more into the sunshine pop category but is also
      tuneful, with a few strings added to the mix. I'm not
      sure how common the record is but I don't think it's
      very pricy. My copy cost a whopping 50 cents. I'm now on
      the lookout for The Sundowners' other 45's and their
      album.

      The Sundowners entertain on It Takes A Thief, circa 1968
      [click on the URL above to visit this blog for the photo
      and more]

      Their Website is http://www.bobbydick.com

      5. current eBay listing:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Hear-45-The-Sundowners-Decca-32171-Always-You-Undecided_W0QQitemZ260396017149QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090419?IMSfp=TL090419153001r19806

      6. http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/sundowners.htm

      "Captain Nemo" CD by The Sundowners on Rev-Ola CRREV201
      Tracks:
      Sunny Day People
      Edge Of Love
      Let It Be Me
      Dear Undecided
      Ring Out, Wild Bells
      Plaster Casters
      Captain Nemo
      Always You
      Easy Does It
      Blue-Green Eyes
      So Sad

      "This mysterious band has become something of a legend
      in its own lunchtime.

      The Sundowners released a string of singles between 1966
      and 1968 and the amazing 1968 album Captain Nemo which
      blends Beatlesque melodies, West Coast cool, frantic
      showmanship, psychedelic production flourishes and a
      mile-wide cheeky grin.

      They also appeared in the Tony Curtis movie Don't Make
      Waves (the one with the Byrds theme tune) and the
      popular TV shows It Takes A Thief and The Flying Nun.
      As if that wasn't enough, they toured with The Monkees
      and Jimi Hendrix!

      Quite how a band this good with these credentials
      slipped so far off the radar in the intervening years
      is a mystery. However, us splendid fellows at Rev-Ola
      have leapt to the rescue by issuing this neglected gem
      on CD for the first time ever and have wrapped it all
      up in the kind of dazzling audio and visual package
      you've grown to expect from us. How could we not?"
    • Various
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 4:06 PM
        Jim Shannon:
        > I came across a record a few nights ago in the garage
        > band category. "Always You" was released in 1967 by
        > an upstate New York band called The Sundowners. Does
        > anyone know if this was part of a film soundtrack? I
        > don't recall the single charting that well.

        Bob Haldeman:

        I don't much about it, but I found a copy of the song on vol. 4
        of "Melody Goes On."

        -----

        Paul Carr:

        The Sundowners did appear in a 1967 movie with Tony Curtis,
        "Don't Make Waves", but I don't know if "Always You" is in it. It
        was just on TMC about a month ago. Their album, "Captain Nemo",
        is available on CD:

        http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7385439

        -----

        Michael Coxe:

        Not on any soundtrack except the ones playing constantly in
        the heads of pop-psych lovers worldwide. The song was written
        by Roger Nichols and Peter Asher, with a different version
        subsequently included in the Sundowners' album "Captain Nemo".

        I'm happily surprised that "Captain Nemo" now has its own
        Wikipedia article, which contains additional Sundowners info:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Nemo_(Album)

        According to this article the "Always You" single was produced
        by Bones Howe, and arranged by noted jazz chartist Hill Holman.

        -----

        Rich Grunke:

        Neat sounding record. This side has an Association feel. Flip it
        over and you get the Beatles with "Dear Undecided".

        -----
      • Justin McDevitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 6:25 AM
          Bob Haldeman:
          > I don't much about it, but I found a copy of the song
          > on vol. 4 of "Melody Goes On."

          Is this a series of Sunshine Pop compilations (as that is a favorite genre
          of mine)? On a related note, I have searched off and on for the Get Easy
          Sunshine Pop collection. Any suggestions other than eBay (e.g. special
          import sites) where I might be able to find a copy would be greatly
          appreciated.

          Best,
          Justin McDevitt