"In The Sunshine"/"HisTrue Love For You"/ Jeff & Ellie comp

  • Julio Niño
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hola everybody,

      I'm rabidly in love with a couple of songs I
      discovered last week. The fantastic Van McCoy
      composition (yes I'm insatiable) "In The Sunshine" by
      The Marvellos (by the way, are they the same group
      that recorded for Loma in the mid sixties?) It's a
      very uplifting song that transmits an irresistible
      feeling of euphoria. I found it in a compilation of
      songs inspired or reminiscent of The Impressions,
      although to me this song is just totally Van.

      And my favorite one, "His True Love For You" by Al
      McCarter, written by Chip Taylor and Ted Daryll. The
      type of Soul flavored pop song, so characteristic of
      the early to mid sixties. The arrangement by Dennis
      Randell is just sublime. It sounds to me beautifully
      inevitable. A perfect song. Does somebody have any
      info about about Al McCarter? I really love his voice.

      The track is included in "Northern Soul's Classiest
      Rarities Vol. 3." The Northern Soul compilations tend
      to exhaust me, but this collection is very special,
      perhaps more *classiest* than *Northern*. One of my
      favorite reissues so far this year.

      Mick Patrick announced:
      > "Do-Wah-Diddy: Words and Music by Ellie Greenwich
      > & Jeff Barry". http://tinyurl.com/4r3p7n
      > Ellie and Jeff are both interviewed in the booklet.
      > Any question?

      This CD looks fantastic Mick. I have a very
      frivolous and silly question: Do the interviews
      include any special gossip or revelations?

      Chao,
      Julio Niño.
    • Mick Patrick
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Me (on the CD "Do-Wah-Diddy: Words and Music by Ellie
        Greenwich & Jeff Barry"):
        > Ellie and Jeff are both interviewed in the booklet.

        Julio:
        > This CD looks fantastic Mick. I have a very frivolous
        > and silly question: Do the interviews include any
        > special gossip or revelations?

        I promised not to repeat any of the gossip (well, not
        in print!) but here's an interesting quote from Jeff:

        Jeff: “What I remember most about Sam Hawkins is that
        we wrote him a song that I ended up recording myself.
        For some reason, I can’t quite remember why, after we
        finished the [backing] track, he couldn’t record it,
        so I did it instead. That was ‘I’ll Still Love You’,
        which was a single for me on Red Bird. Maybe it
        wasn’t in the right key for Sam. Jerry Leiber and
        Mike Stoller pretty much left Ellie and me in charge
        at Red Bird. We wrote and produced most of the
        records. They realised we didn’t need supervision.
        Everything about those days was so informal, and it
        all happened so quickly, that I don’t remember too
        many details. It was like, ‘Next!’ They were crazy
        days. We were making history, but we didn’t know we
        were doing it.”

        Find more info on the CD here:
        http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7841

        Hey la,

        Mick Patrick
      • Kevin Patrick Hodgkiss
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
          Julio Niño wrote:
          > I'm rabidly in love with a couple of songs I
          > discovered last week. The fantastic Van McCoy
          > composition (yes I'm insatiable) "In The Sunshine"
          > by The Marvellos (by the way, are they the same
          > group that recorded for Loma in the mid sixties?)
          > It's a very uplifting song that transmits an
          > irresistible feeling of euphoria. I found it in a
          > compilation of songs inspired or reminiscent of The
          > Impressions, although to me this song is just
          > totally Van.

          Thanks for the name dropping Mr. Julio! I've had
          this song In The Sunshine on my want list for awhile
          and I have never seen or heard it. Where did you
          hear it? Anything Van is good for me. Thank you!

          Kevin

        • Dave Monroe
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
            Kevin Patrick Hodgkiss wrote:
            > I've had this song In The Sunshine on my want list
            > for awhile and I have never seen or heard it. Where
            > did you hear it? Anything Van is good for me.

            Always a good source for vintage soul sound clips:

            http://www.soul-source.co.uk/refosoul

            http://www.soul-source.co.uk/

            Viz. (or, rather, hear):

            http://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern-soul-clips/sound-clips/the-marvellos-in-the-sunshine-modern

            As with Musica here, you do have to be a member, but,
            as here, it's a simple matter of being an actual
            sentient being, registering, and reamining at least
            civil thereafter, if a participant at all:

            http://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=00

            Also:

            THE MARVELLOS / In The Sunshine from KENT MODERN LP
            (currently available) also available on: IMPRESSED!
            24 Groups Inspired by the Legendary Impressions

            http://acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=600

            And let me know if this is of any help:

            "... The Mighty Marvelows are the same group as the
            Marvelows (who recorded the mighty ‘I Do’ which
            I will be posting in the future), but not the same
            group as the West Coast group the Marvellos who
            recorded for Loma (who apparently threatened legal
            action, forcing the addition of the 'Mighty' to the
            group’s name)."

            http://funky16corners.blogspot.com/2006/05/mighty-marvelows-im-so-confused-plus.html

            I can't nail down whether the Modern Marvellos are
            the same as the Loma Marvellos, but might I speculate
            that, if the latter sued a band with a homophonic
            name (not to mention a bigger hit) and won, another
            band certainly would not have been allowed to use a
            straight up homonym.