Leiber & Stoller

  • Paul Underwood
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
      Previously on S'pop:
      > One of my favourite recordings in the Bacharach style
      > is now playing at musica:
      >
      > Brook Benton
      > Do Your Own Thing
      > Cotillion 44007, 1968
      > Written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
      > Arranged by Mike Stoller
      > Produced by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

      Many thanks for posting this track, one of Leiber &
      Stoller's later outings. Could other L&S productions
      from this period also be posted (if they qualify)?
      I'm thinking of sides by Arthur Prysock, Shark
      Wilson, Leslie Uggams, Dino & Sembello and so on.
      Unless, of course, there are plans for a fourth
      volume of the Leiber & Stoller story on Ace.

      Paul
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2010
        Hello All,

        Is there anyone who is willing to re-upload the Leiber & Stoller song "Que Pasa Muchacha" by The Cheers in the musica folder?

        I've been on the trail of L&S songs on-and-off for years and recently got bach into it. Finding Peter Stoller's list and this group on the web made it easier to know what to look for.

        I should have a few 45 coming in, hopefully in not too long which have a few of the rarer tracks on them. Can someone tell me which ones are sort of sought after or hard to get? I already collected quite a few of them in varying quality so I might be able to help as well.

        Cheers,
        Dennis
      • Phil X Milstein
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2010
          Dennis:
          > Is there anyone who is willing to re-upload the Leiber & Stoller song "Que
          > Pasa Muchacha" by The Cheers in the musica folder?

          The requested track is now playing at musica:

          --Phil M.
        • Peter Stoller
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11, 2010
            Dennis,

            The update I'm working on to the online L&S discography has around five thousand listings, including over one thousand new/updated entries. So, I'd say it's nigh impossible to make a quick list of which are hard to get. Still, I would guess some collectors here could say which they've had trouble finding. I've obtained copies in some form (if only MP3) of roughly half of the recordings of which I'm aware; but, I have no idea how many more there are of which I haven't yet heard.

            Meanwhile, if you let us know what you've acquired, we could let you know whether or not we've got them and/or seen them around.

            Best,

            Peter Stoller
          • Hans Huss
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
              Sadly, the great General Johnson passed away on Wednesday. Lead singer on stone classics like The Showmen's "It Will Stand" (which he wrote) and the Chairmen of the Board's "Give Me Just A Little More Time", he was also the author of Clarence Carter's "Patches" and The Honey Cone's immortal "Want Ads".

              The L.A. Times obituary - http://tinyurl.com/2ujjpy9%c2%a0- has a smashing pic, but links to a rather curious Youtube clip, which shows The Radiants performing "Baby You Got It" while "Give Me Just A Little More Time" plays. For a glimpse of the real thing, look no further than this wonderful (though poor-sounding) clip of the Chairmen of the Board - the original quartet - doing "(You've Got Me) Dangling On A String": http://tinyurl.com/23k7j6h

              A sad loss. General Johnson, R.I.P.

              Hasse Huss
            • Joe
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                Peter Stoller wrote:
                > The update I'm working on to the online L&S discography
                > has around five thousand listings, including over one
                > thousand new/updated entries. So, I'd say it's nigh
                > impossible to make a quick list of which are hard to get.
                > Still, I would guess some collectors here could say
                > which they've had trouble finding. I've obtained copies
                > in some form (if only MP3) of roughly half of the
                > recordings of which I'm aware; but, I have no idea how
                > many more there are of which I haven't yet heard.
                > Meanwhile, if you let us know what you've acquired, we
                > could let you know whether or not we've got them and/or
                > seen them around.

                Hello Peter,

                I have made mp3's of some 45's I have so if you are interested in any of these, I can send them over. Note that some of them aren't in the best of quality and have some pops and crackles on them.

                -Arthur Prysock-The Girls I Never Kissed
                -Billy Edd Wheeler-Not Me
                -Chris Connor-I only Want Some
                -David Hill-Cha! Bull! (The Crowd)
                -Eddie Fisher-Blues For Me
                -Francis Faye-Hey Mister
                -Frankie Marshall-Every Minute Of The Day / Over And Over
                -Honey Bears-Whoa!
                -Jack Jones-You Laugh
                -Jacki Fontaine-Jack O'Diamonds
                -Jaye P. Morgan-My Blind Date / Tell Me More
                -Jo Stafford-It's Been So Long
                -June Valli-Will You Love Me Still
                -Linda Leigh-I Cry
                -Myrna March-I Can't Say No
                -Patty Andrews-Broken
                -Tony Travis-Footsteps / Young And In Love (in your L&S list but on the recordlabel credited to Sherman/Richards ??)

                I hope your up-dated list will be on-line soon. Searching around, I found a few tracks that aren't on the current list that might be an addition to the new one:

                René Shuman: Set The Clock On Rock (Pamala Philips,Mike Stoller,René Shuman) 2001

                The Monkees recorded the following songs all in 1967:
                -She Hangs Out (L&S/Greenwich/Barry)
                -You Can't Tie A Mustang Down (L&S/Barry)
                -Gotta Give It Time (L&S/Levine/Barry) Unreleased
                -The Love You Got Inside (L&S/Barry/ Andy Kim) Unreleased
                -Black And Blue (L&S/Neil Diamond) Unreleased
                -Eve Of My Sorrow (L&S/Levine/Barry) Unreleased

                Cheers,

                Dennis
              • Peter Stoller
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
                  Joe wrote:
                  > I have made mp3's of some 45's I have so if you are
                  > interested in any of these, I can send them over. Note
                  > that some of them aren't in the best of quality and
                  > have some pops and crackles on them:
                  > -Arthur Prysock-The Girls I Never Kissed
                  > -Billy Edd Wheeler-Not Me
                  > -Chris Connor-I Only Want Some
                  > -David Hill-Cha! Bull! (The Crowd)
                  > -Eddie Fisher-Blues For Me
                  > -Francis Faye-Hey Mister
                  > -Frankie Marshall-Every Minute Of The Day / Over And Over
                  > -Honey Bears-Whoa!
                  > -Jack Jones-You Laugh
                  > -Jacki Fontaine-Jack O'Diamonds
                  > -Jaye P. Morgan-My Blind Date / Tell Me More
                  > -Jo Stafford-It's Been So Long
                  > -June Valli-Will You Love Me Still
                  > -Linda Leigh-I Cry
                  > -Myrna March-I Can't Say No
                  > -Patty Andrews-Broken
                  > -Tony Travis-Footsteps / Young And In Love (in your L&S
                  > list but on the recordlabel credited to Sherman/Richards ??)

                  Although I have vinyl for all of these, I haven't transferred them yet, so I have digital audio only for Chris Connor, Frances Faye, Jack Jones, and Jaye P. Morgan's "My Blind Date." So, by all means, send 'em or put 'em up in Musica. I can clean up the audio easily enough.

                  Nearly all of these would qualify as obscure, but I'm not sure about "rare." I don't believe any of these records command much of a price for collectors.

                  And, yes, the Tony Travis listing for "Young And In Love" is an error; same title, different song. I'll fix it in my long-overdue update.

                  > Searching around, I found a few tracks that aren't on
                  > the current list that might be an addition to the new one:
                  > René Shuman: Set The Clock On Rock

                  Yes, I'll have to add that one, thanks!

                  > The Monkees recorded the following songs all in 1967:
                  > -She Hangs Out (L&S/Greenwich/Barry)
                  > -You Can't Tie A Mustang Down (L&S/Barry)
                  > -Gotta Give It Time (L&S/Levine/Barry) Unreleased
                  > -The Love You Got Inside (L&S/Barry/ Andy Kim) Unreleased
                  > -Black And Blue (L&S/Neil Diamond) Unreleased
                  > -Eve Of My Sorrow (L&S/Levine/Barry) Unreleased

                  I believe that those writing credits are erroneous. Mike has stated that he and Jerry had nothing to do with writing "She Hangs Out" and "You Can't Tie a Mustang Down," both of which were copyrighted as having words and music by Jeff Barry. (This indicates that Ellie didn't cowrite "She Hangs Out," either.) The copyright for "Gotta Give It Time" credits Jeff Barry and Joe Levine only. Neil Diamond is the only name on the copyright for "Black and Blue (From Kicking Myself)." I've never heard of the other two songs before.

                  Jeff Barry was published by Trio Music, which was owned by Leiber & Stoller. Consequently, their names were sometimes on reels of tape containing Jeff Barry's compositions and productions. The same goes for Neil Diamond c. 1965, when "Black and Blue" was copyrighted. I suspect this is how L&S came to be credited with coauthoring these songs.