Red Roses For Jack Nitzsche

  • Carol Kaye
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2000
      Neil Young had sent 100s of beautiful roses for the
      chapel service for our friend and great arranger/composer
      Jack Nitzsche. It wasn't easy to keep from crying....Jack
      was 2 years younger than me and we all were shocked to be
      there, but united in our respect and grief for him. His
      great personality, humor, and yes some obstinance too
      (who in this business doesn't have that! It takes that
      to be successful).

      We were a big part of his early days of copying, and then
      arranging as were many others there: Don Randi, Earl
      Palmer, Don Peake, Tommy Tedesco being represented by his
      widow, Carmie and son Denny, Phil Spector (who himself
      lost his son) -- his eulogy for Jack was very moving as
      were the others by Don Randi, HB Barnum, Christie (name?)
      Bono. Nancy Sinatra was there, Jewll Akens, Tony Newton,
      Don Peake, David Blumberg, the place was packed. And we
      were all glad to see each other too, even at a time like
      this. Jack Jr. gave a nice eulogy for his father, and it
      was wonderful to share old stories with Gracia and Billie
      Barnum - Gracia was glad we were there, most of us she
      hasn't seen in about 34 years - it was good to see her
      again.

      Very wonderful people there. Earl and I were standing in
      front of Jack (open coffin) and Earl gave Jack a Catholic
      blessing, reaching in to bless him. Sean Penn who was
      friends with Jack was there also, so many others. It was
      truly wonderful to see Phil Spector again, he looked good,
      the same Phil we all worked for, and we all congregated
      around him....all of us united in our feelings. And we
      each received a beautiful rose as commemoration. It's a
      gentle reminder of how fragile life is. As I told Jack Jr.,
      his father's love won't stop, he'll feel Jack watching
      over him, and then of course, there's the great music
      legacy he leaves. Darn it Jack, why did you go?

      Carol Kaye