Re: Sidechaining a Gate?

  • timbreimperia
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
      Rick,

      I was going to suggest using a bus from the RMX track to send signal to the sidechain
      input of the plug-in on the "pad" track or in Nano's case "trilogy" track. But I guess that's a
      moot point if the plug's sidechain input won't accept a bus signal.

      Erik
    • Rick Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005

        Yep, that is the tricky part since you need to get two signals going to the
        same plug-in instance, one to be processed and one to be the trigger. The
        only other thing I can think of is if you put the plug-in on a bus, and are
        using a mono signal for the pad. Then you might be able to send a
        hard-panned hi-hat to one side as the trigger, and the hard-panned pad to
        the other side to be gated, with the gate plug-in on the bus (i.e. for a
        plug-in that works with two sides of the stereo signal only). However, that
        wouldn't be ideal for a pad since often you want stereo.

        Whereas the dB-D solution doesn't have these kind of limitations. It's
        works more like hardware patch cables work, except that you can also send
        multiple signals into it from multiple instances, even on the same channel,
        and can trigger multiple instances of the plug-in off a single trigger (or
        the same multiple triggers) if you like. I've also used this feature to
        gate multiple background vocals off a lead vocal.

        Rick
        Rick Paul
        Closet Cowboy Music (ASCAP)
        Web: http://home.earthlink.net/~rickpaul
        MP3s: http://www.soundclick.com/rickpaul
      • Kendall Jackman
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thanks for this tip! I use Sonar AND I have the db-audioware plugins, so
          I'll have to try this. I could have done sidechains all this time and
          didn't even know it!

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
            Fantastic!! I look forward to testing this out tonight - thanks Rick
            and Erik!

            --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Paul" <rickpaul@e...>