Re: [spectrasonics] Omnisphere contest legal question

  • Daniel Stecko
    Message 1 of 21 , May 6, 2008
      So if I use Ivory on a commercial release, it's mandatory that I credit them in my liner notes? Did they give me the software for free to endorse it for them?
      Smells funny to me.

      plurye2001 <peterlurye@...> wrote: All right, it's not exactly a legal question, but sort of. In the FAQ
      for the contest, the rules say that the need to credit sample
      libraries/virtual instruments from other companies could affect your
      chances to win. Here's a line from the Ivory license:

      "Music producers may use Synthogy libraries on any commercial music
      release (including music libraries)... However, all products require a
      specific crediting for Ivory in the liner notes of the music release.
      Screen credit for Film/TV use is not required."

      So... would Spectrasonics' use of the submissions require credit or not?

      At the very least, this contest makes you read some of that fine print
      that's generally ignored... :)

      Peter

    • Claude Castonguay
      Message 2 of 21 , May 6, 2008
        Great!

        Thanks Eric! Sorry should have checked the FAQs but i need to do 30
        cues for friday...Arrgh!

        Best,

        Claude
        On 08-05-06, at 00:23, spectrumep wrote:

        > Yes! :-)
        >
        > This is answered in the FAQs of the licensing section.
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > spectrum
        >
        > > Hi Eric,
        > >
        > > since we're talking legal stuff, i've already found use for one of
        > > the patches in the opening of a documentary i'm scoring, may i
        > > consider that the sounds may be used in the same way as the ones
        > i've
        > > purchased when buying Atmosphere and RMX? In other words may i use
        > > these sounds in Film?
        > >
        > > Best,
        > >
        > > Claude
        > > On 08-05-05, at 18:56, spectrumep wrote:
        > >
        > > > Use of Ivory is no problem with crediting.
        > > >
        > > > spectrum
        > > >
        > > > --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "plurye2001" <peterlurye@>

        > the
        > affect your

        > music
        > > > require a
        > > > release.

        > > > or not?

        > > > print

      • plurye2001
        Message 3 of 21 , May 6, 2008
          Yes - that's the sentence that triggered my post to begin with (which
          you can see from my post). It was unclear from the Ivory license
          language whether the type of use Spectrasonics plans to make of these
          cues would trigger a need to credit. BTW many library/VI licenses
          have similar language, so I thought it would be a question of general
          interest.

          PL

          --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "philaudiomicro"
          <philaudiomicro@...> wrote:

          > Hey, music brotha,
          >
          > Do pay serious attention to the words of contest FAQs ; you can read :
          >
          > "Can I use sample libraries or sample based virtual instruments from
          > other companies?
          > Yes, but if those companies need to be credited that may affect your
          > chance to win. "
          >
          > "May the best win",
          > Phil.
          >

          > --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "plurye2001" <peterlurye@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > All right, it's not exactly a legal question, but sort of. In the FAQ
          > > for the contest, the rules say that the need to credit sample
          > > libraries/virtual instruments from other companies could affect your
          > > chances to win. Here's a line from the Ivory license:
          > >
          > > "Music producers may use Synthogy libraries on any commercial music
          > > release (including music libraries)... However, all products require a
          > > specific crediting for Ivory in the liner notes of the music release.
          > > Screen credit for Film/TV use is not required."
          > >
          > > So... would Spectrasonics' use of the submissions require credit or
          > not?
          > >
          > > At the very least, this contest makes you read some of that fine print
          > > that's generally ignored... :)
          > >
          > > Peter

        • charles graef
          Message 4 of 21 , May 11, 2008
            It was exciting to go through the entire installation process over again
            from my Atmosphere CDROMs, following the Atmosphere / Digital Performer
            instructions to the letter, reauthorizing, validating the AU, only to find
            that once installed, the wrapper didn't actually work.

            Yes, the wrapper didn't work.

            Did it work? No, it didn't. It didn't work.

            Non-workage. The absence of functioning.

            Can't really say what's going on, tried it over again as well, using the
            do-over instructions on the website, re-installed, re-validated ...

            Non-function. Zero doing.

            This is to say, the wrapper comes up, the plugin appears, I can load
            programs into it, and it will save their info from one session to the next.
            They simply make no sound whatsoever. Not even when I press the "Preview"
            button. The plugin / wrapper isn't communicating its audio to the host in
            any way. Impossible to say whether MIDI is being communicated.

            It's all rather curious since it worked fine in Garage Band. Which would be
            great if I had the least interest in using Garage Band.

            Anyone have a similar experience? I must have put at least a few hours of
            my day into this unholy gibberish, only to find that it was incompatible
            with reality. Any hints? Clues? Tips? Ideas?

            --Chuck
          • Paul Johnson
            Message 5 of 21 , May 11, 2008
              Now this does sound like a lovely way to spend the day. I feel your
              pain. I don't have the same setup as you, but my guess is that it has
              something to do with the MAS format plugs vs. the VST or AudioUnit
              version. Not much to go on, I know, but maybe it will spark an idea
              of something else to try.

              Anyone else dealt with this lately?

              On May 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, charles graef wrote:

              > It was exciting to go through the entire installation process over
              > again
              > from my Atmosphere CDROMs, following the Atmosphere / Digital
              > Performer
              > instructions to the letter, reauthorizing, validating the AU, only
              > to find
              > that once installed, the wrapper didn't actually work.
              >
              > Yes, the wrapper didn't work.
              >
              > Did it work? No, it didn't. It didn't work.
              >
              > Non-workage. The absence of functioning.
              >
              > Can't really say what's going on, tried it over again as well,
              > using the
              > do-over instructions on the website, re-installed, re-validated ...
              >
              > Non-function. Zero doing.
              >
              > This is to say, the wrapper comes up, the plugin appears, I can load
              > programs into it, and it will save their info from one session to
              > the next.
              > They simply make no sound whatsoever. Not even when I press the
              > "Preview"
              > button. The plugin / wrapper isn't communicating its audio to the
              > host in
              > any way. Impossible to say whether MIDI is being communicated.
              >
              > It's all rather curious since it worked fine in Garage Band. Which
              > would be
              > great if I had the least interest in using Garage Band.
              >
              > Anyone have a similar experience? I must have put at least a few
              > hours of
              > my day into this unholy gibberish, only to find that it was
              > incompatible
              > with reality. Any hints? Clues? Tips? Ideas?
              >
              > --Chuck

              > In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus
              > RMX Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs,
              > patches, and help files. You may find the answer to your questions
              > here:
              > http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Johnna
              Message 6 of 21 , May 13, 2008
                Are you using a VST wrapper ?

                --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, Paul Johnson <rhodiad@...> wrote:

                > Now this does sound like a lovely way to spend the day. I feel your
                > pain. I don't have the same setup as you, but my guess is that it has
                > something to do with the MAS format plugs vs. the VST or AudioUnit
                > version. Not much to go on, I know, but maybe it will spark an idea
                > of something else to try.
                >
                > Anyone else dealt with this lately?
                >

                > On May 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, charles graef wrote:
                >
                > > It was exciting to go through the entire installation process over
                > > again
                > > from my Atmosphere CDROMs, following the Atmosphere / Digital
                > > Performer
                > > instructions to the letter, reauthorizing, validating the AU, only
                > > to find
                > > that once installed, the wrapper didn't actually work.
                > >
                > > Yes, the wrapper didn't work.
                > >
                > > Did it work? No, it didn't. It didn't work.
                > >
                > > Non-workage. The absence of functioning.
                > >
                > > Can't really say what's going on, tried it over again as well,
                > > using the
                > > do-over instructions on the website, re-installed, re-validated ...
                > >
                > > Non-function. Zero doing.
                > >
                > > This is to say, the wrapper comes up, the plugin appears, I can load
                > > programs into it, and it will save their info from one session to
                > > the next.
                > > They simply make no sound whatsoever. Not even when I press the
                > > "Preview"
                > > button. The plugin / wrapper isn't communicating its audio to the
                > > host in
                > > any way. Impossible to say whether MIDI is being communicated.
                > >
                > > It's all rather curious since it worked fine in Garage Band. Which
                > > would be
                > > great if I had the least interest in using Garage Band.
                > >
                > > Anyone have a similar experience? I must have put at least a few
                > > hours of
                > > my day into this unholy gibberish, only to find that it was
                > > incompatible
                > > with reality. Any hints? Clues? Tips? Ideas?
                > >
                > > --Chuck

                > > In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus
                > > RMX Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs,
                > > patches, and help files. You may find the answer to your questions
                > > here:
                > > http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • charles graef
                Message 7 of 21 , May 14, 2008
                  VST wrapper was not involved. The subject was Spectrasonics' wrapper
                  program that adapts -- in most respects, and if you do it right -- the Power
                  PC version of Atmosphere/Trilogy to Intel mac. Particularly sensitive to
                  installation order when used with DP, and thereafter to buffer setting,
                  which apparently should be low.

                  --Chuck

                  > Now this does sound like a lovely way to spend the day. I feel your
                  > pain. I don't have the same setup as you, but my guess is that it has
                  > something to do with the MAS format plugs vs. the VST or AudioUnit
                  > version. Not much to go on, I know, but maybe it will spark an idea
                  > of something else to try.
                  >
                  > Anyone else dealt with this lately?
                  >

                  > On May 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, charles graef wrote:
                  >
                  > > It was exciting to go through the entire installation process over
                  > > again
                  > > from my Atmosphere CDROMs, following the Atmosphere / Digital
                  > > Performer
                  > > instructions to the letter, reauthorizing, validating the AU, only
                  > > to find
                  > > that once installed, the wrapper didn't actually work.
                  > >
                  > > Yes, the wrapper didn't work.
                  > >
                  > > Did it work? No, it didn't. It didn't work.
                  > >
                  > > Non-workage. The absence of functioning.
                  > >
                  > > Can't really say what's going on, tried it over again as well,
                  > > using the
                  > > do-over instructions on the website, re-installed, re-validated ...
                  > >
                  > > Non-function. Zero doing.
                  > >
                  > > This is to say, the wrapper comes up, the plugin appears, I can load
                  > > programs into it, and it will save their info from one session to
                  > > the next.
                  > > They simply make no sound whatsoever. Not even when I press the
                  > > "Preview"
                  > > button. The plugin / wrapper isn't communicating its audio to the
                  > > host in
                  > > any way. Impossible to say whether MIDI is being communicated.
                  > >
                  > > It's all rather curious since it worked fine in Garage Band. Which
                  > > would be
                  > > great if I had the least interest in using Garage Band.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone have a similar experience? I must have put at least a few
                  > > hours of
                  > > my day into this unholy gibberish, only to find that it was
                  > > incompatible
                  > > with reality. Any hints? Clues? Tips? Ideas?
                  > >
                  > > --Chuck

                  > > In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus
                  > > RMX Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs,
                  > > patches, and help files. You may find the answer to your questions
                  > > here:
                  > > http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus RMX
                  Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs, patches, and help
                  files. You may find the answer to your questions here:
                  http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • chris schulze
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 24, 2008
                    Hey - I swear it's true I saw it with my own eyes - here's proof!

                    http://www.gomusicinmotion.com/myspace/burning_piano_tour.jpg

                    That Diego, he sure gets around.

                    Chris

                  • philaudiomicro
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 25, 2008
                      Here, we can see him playing "Light my fire" ! ;-)

                      --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, chris schulze
                      <specialisthawaii@...> wrote:

                      > Hey - I swear it's true I saw it with my own eyes - here's proof!
                      >
                      > http://www.gomusicinmotion.com/myspace/burning_piano_tour.jpg
                      >
                      > That Diego, he sure gets around.
                      >
                      > Chris

                    • chris schulze
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 25, 2008
                        Hello,

                        I installed RMX and for the very first time after a hard-drive wipe and reinstall, when I copy the challenge and go to Spectrasonics to register and get the response, I get an invalid challenge code, even though I'm using RMX's "copy" button to copy the code.

                        So I wrote to the tech support and they suggested using the move tool to find RMX and if the repair option was available, to perform the repair to fix it, then try it again. Well I opened the tool, but the only thing that showed up in the tabbed drop down menu to select which file I wanted to move was atmosphere. I tried deleting RMX completely off my drive and reinstalling it, but I'm having the same problem.

                        I am really in a rush to get RMX functional again and wondered if any of you have had this problem and could recommend a manual fix that will get to the heart of the problem.

                        Thanks,

                        Chris

                      • plygtrloud
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 25, 2008
                          Hi Chris, I had that same problem once. I simply un-installed and
                          re-installed a second time and it validated. Hope it works.

                          peace

                          <specialisthawaii@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I installed RMX and for the very first time after a hard-drive
                          wipe and reinstall, when I copy the challenge and go to Spectrasonics
                          to register and get the response, I get an invalid challenge code,
                          even though I'm using RMX's "copy" button to copy the code.

                          > So I wrote to the tech support and they suggested using the move
                          tool to find RMX and if the repair option was available, to perform
                          the repair to fix it, then try it again. Well I opened the tool, but
                          the only thing that showed up in the tabbed drop down menu to select
                          which file I wanted to move was atmosphere. I tried deleting RMX
                          completely off my drive and reinstalling it, but I'm having the same
                          problem.

                          > I am really in a rush to get RMX functional again and wondered if
                          any of you have had this problem and could recommend a manual fix that
                          will get to the heart of the problem.

                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Chris

                        • Khor Seowsun
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 25, 2008
                            hi, me too..
                            i deleted entire RMX from my drive and reinstall,
                            with new challenge code, it works.
                            Regards

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 26, 2008
                                I had the same problem with copy button !
                                the response code failed because it had a space after the last
                                character...

                                <specialisthawaii@...> wrote:

                                > How do you delete it properly? I deleted the folder with the RMX
                                in it and went to my host applications' VST folder and deleted the dll
                                file, but even after reinstalling from that point, I had the same
                                problem.

                                > Chris
                                >
                                > Khor Seowsun <khorseowsun@...> wrote:
                                > hi, me too..
                                > i deleted entire RMX from my drive and reinstall,
                                > with new challenge code, it works.
                                > Regards

                              • David Bourke
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 26, 2008
                                  I think phil is right here. I had exactly the same thing happen on my
                                  first Mac installation. I ended up having to copy the Challenge code
                                  from the plug-in into the web-page by hand, then copy the web-page's
                                  Response code back into the plug-in, also by hand. The Copy button
                                  seems to be funky for some people.

                                  Kind regards

                                  Dave Bourke
                                  – ideation –