What are the best RMX add ons?

  • geoffnfa
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi there,
      I am looking for some great RMX add ons. I have heard the Nine Volt Audio stuff, which I will
      soon purchase. I also read a reference to a multi pack for RMX... Who sells that one?
      Cheers,
      Geoff
    • mrdorren
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
        Hi Geoff,
        I am very happy with Metamorphosis. It is more of a soundscape,
        ambient add on.... very inspirational for me.

        Marty
        --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "geoffnfa" <geoffh@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > I am looking for some great RMX add ons. I have heard the Nine Volt
        Audio stuff, which I will
        > soon purchase. I also read a reference to a multi pack for RMX...
        Who sells that one?
        > Cheers,
        > Geoff

      • DrXparaMental
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
          I have never purchased anything other than Back Beat, Metamorphosis & just last week Ethno Techno. All are extremely good, but I have to say I was bit let down with Metamorphosis (and) Where are the bonuses? I was expecting via the description provided on the websites, something far more strange. Kind of like the Distorted Reality material on steroids. I have to say though that both Back Beat & Ethno Techno are nothing short of AMAZING percussion tools.

          What I would like to know is about that which can be incorporated into Stylus that is more musical instead of that which is drum based. Are there expanders from ILIO or Spectrasonics that are instrument specific like Bizarre Guitar/Phat Finger/Memphis Horns?

          If not, what does buying the sample libraries mean with respect to how they incorporate themselves into the scheme of sequencing in a program like Live 6.0? Do these libraries have to be used in Stylus RMX or are they much more diverse with respect to how they are applied? Why do they cost twice as much as the expanders? Could I purchase these sample libraries, slice them with Propellerhead's Recycle and then load them in Stylus? Or are they already to load into Stylus?

          Curious minds NEED to know.

          geoffnfa <geoffh@...> wrote:
          Hi there,
          I am looking for some great RMX add ons. I have heard the Nine Volt Audio stuff, which I will
          soon purchase. I also read a reference to a multi pack for RMX... Who sells that one?
          Cheers,
          Geoff

          -----

          As a reminder, please always search the archived messages for answers to your questions before creating a new post:

          In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus RMX Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs, patches, and help files. You may find the answer to your questions here:
          http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • spectrumep
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
            --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, DrXparaMental <heavyfuzzbass@...> wrote:
            > ....Metamorphosis (and) Where are the bonuses?

            The bonus section is the same on all the Spectrasonics Xpanders.

            The bonus section is the same on all the ILIO Xpanders.

            > What I would like to know is about that which can be incorporated into Stylus that is
            more musical instead of that which is drum based. Are there expanders from ILIO or
            Spectrasonics that are instrument specific like Bizarre Guitar/Phat Finger/Memphis Horns?

            No. Pitched material is pretty hard to do with slicing like RMX/Recycle use.

            Live works better with pitched material, because it uses realtime time stretching. Sonically
            inferior for percussive material (compared to RMX), but more suited to pitched phases.

            The best pitched stuff is currently what's on the SAGE Xpanders and the Nine Volt libraries.

            > If not, what does buying the sample libraries mean with respect to how they
            incorporate themselves into the scheme of sequencing in a program like Live 6.0?

            You could use them with the Live sampler or use the phrases as audio files.

            > Do these libraries have to be used in Stylus RMX or are they much more diverse with
            respect to how they are applied?

            Depends on the library, but remember that none of them were designed to be used in
            RMX. The last sample library we made was about 7 years ago.

            > Why do they cost twice as much as the expanders?

            Lots of different reasons, but mainly because they are legacy products that we still sell,
            but aren't promoting. We don't sell many of them anymore, so stock is really limited. The
            material is still great stuff, but they were formatted for older hardware samplers and
            priced for a different market and business model.

            Also, sometimes there is more material on the sample library. Like the full Vocal Planet
            library is massive compared to the little bonus section on the Xpanders. But you can only
            use that material with a proper sampler.

            We have already converted the useful material from those libraries to SAGE Xpanders for
            RMX.

            > Could I purchase these sample libraries, slice them with Propellerhead's Recycle and
            then load them in Stylus?

            Yes. You could do that with something like Vocal Planet and use the samples in any sort of
            sampler.

            Some sample libraries like Burning Grooves have sections that are not included on the
            SAGE Xpanders for technical reasons. (Burning Grooves has a full kit library of playable
            drum kits that can't translate to Stylus RMX, because SAGE is not set up to do velocity
            switching kit samples like a normal sampler is)

            > Or are they already to load into Stylus?

            If you want that ability, get the SAGE Xpander versions. You won't gain anything
            immediately in RMX by purchasing the library versions of the same titles.

            > Curious minds NEED to know.

            Hope that's helpful.
          • DrXparaMental
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
              That was Xtremely helpful Eric. Thanks!

              Is Trilogy to bass something like RMX is to drums? Those deep slap bass patches on Ethno Techno's bonus suites are tops. That should be sacrilege coming from an old slapper like myself, but I just can't help it. Those things are MONSTER to my ears. They have that real deep Tobias tone going.

              I have one last technical question that has not translated into any insurmountable problem but I would just like to get some idea whether more RAM would help the issue.

              Once in a while when I am really jamming RMX as hosted by Live, I will be flipping through the various tracks tweaking here and there on Differt VSTIs and will naturally want to return to my favorite VSTI Stylus. When I click on the track in Live that Stylus was originally loaded into, the Stylus module starts to pop up but is not completely visible. I can't adjust anything as I can usually (when this happens) just see the outline or a portion of the module's front side. I can still hear everything working like it always had & properly so. I have to delete Stylus and reload it into the track to recover control over it. Does that sound like I am out of my RAM to you? I have 2 gigs but I know that's not really anything in today's RAM demanding virtual world.

              Thanks,
              Jeff

              spectrumep <info@...> wrote:
              --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, DrXparaMental wrote:
              > ....Metamorphosis (and) Where are the bonuses?

              The bonus section is the same on all the Spectrasonics Xpanders.

              The bonus section is the same on all the ILIO Xpanders.

              > What I would like to know is about that which can be incorporated into Stylus that is
              more musical instead of that which is drum based. Are there expanders from ILIO or
              Spectrasonics that are instrument specific like Bizarre Guitar/Phat Finger/Memphis Horns?

              No. Pitched material is pretty hard to do with slicing like RMX/Recycle use.

              Live works better with pitched material, because it uses realtime time stretching. Sonically
              inferior for percussive material (compared to RMX), but more suited to pitched phases.

              The best pitched stuff is currently what's on the SAGE Xpanders and the Nine Volt libraries.

              > If not, what does buying the sample libraries mean with respect to how they
              incorporate themselves into the scheme of sequencing in a program like Live 6.0?

              You could use them with the Live sampler or use the phrases as audio files.

              > Do these libraries have to be used in Stylus RMX or are they much more diverse with
              respect to how they are applied?

              Depends on the library, but remember that none of them were designed to be used in
              RMX. The last sample library we made was about 7 years ago.

              > Why do they cost twice as much as the expanders?

              Lots of different reasons, but mainly because they are legacy products that we still sell,
              but aren't promoting. We don't sell many of them anymore, so stock is really limited. The
              material is still great stuff, but they were formatted for older hardware samplers and
              priced for a different market and business model.

              Also, sometimes there is more material on the sample library. Like the full Vocal Planet
              library is massive compared to the little bonus section on the Xpanders. But you can only
              use that material with a proper sampler.

              We have already converted the useful material from those libraries to SAGE Xpanders for
              RMX.

              > Could I purchase these sample libraries, slice them with Propellerhead's Recycle and
              then load them in Stylus?

              Yes. You could do that with something like Vocal Planet and use the samples in any sort of
              sampler.

              Some sample libraries like Burning Grooves have sections that are not included on the
              SAGE Xpanders for technical reasons. (Burning Grooves has a full kit library of playable
              drum kits that can't translate to Stylus RMX, because SAGE is not set up to do velocity
              switching kit samples like a normal sampler is)

              > Or are they already to load into Stylus?

              If you want that ability, get the SAGE Xpander versions. You won't gain anything
              immediately in RMX by purchasing the library versions of the same titles.

              > Curious minds NEED to know.

              Hope that's helpful.

              -----

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, DrXparaMental <heavyfuzzbass@...> wrote:

                > That was Xtremely helpful Eric. Thanks!

                Sure. :-)

                > Is Trilogy to bass something like RMX is to drums?

                Yes, but it's not a groove module like RMX is. In other words, you play Trilogy as a sound
                module and create your own basslines.

                > I have one last technical question that has not translated into any insurmountable
                problem but I would just like to get some idea whether more RAM would help the issue.

                Yes.
              • DrXparaMental
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                  Eric
                  Thank you so much for your help this afternoon. Guess it's time to make a choice. It's either going to be Skippy's Noise Box or one of the 9 Volt discs next. I gotta look into the 9 Volt. I have never even listened to a demo so that's a pretty solid and exciting recommendation coming from the chief. Thanks for your input concerning the RAM too.

                  Can you imagine if someone invented an expresscard slot RAM expander? A RAM dock/hub if you will. Imagine taking a topped out computer and increasing it's RAM 2-3x.

                  spectrumep <info@...> wrote:
                  --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, DrXparaMental wrote:

                  > That was Xtremely helpful Eric. Thanks!

                  Sure. :-)

                  > Is Trilogy to bass something like RMX is to drums?

                  Yes, but it's not a groove module like RMX is. In other words, you play Trilogy as a sound
                  module and create your own basslines.

                  > I have one last technical question that has not translated into any insurmountable
                  problem but I would just like to get some idea whether more RAM would help the issue.

                  Yes.

                  -----

                  As a reminder, please always search the archived messages for answers to your questions before creating a new post:

                  In addition, be sure to regularly visit the Spectrasonics Stylus RMX Community Area for the latest updates, tutorials, FAQs, patches, and help files. You may find the answer to your questions here:
                  http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Johnna
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
                    I have those Xpanders, Noise Box, Big Bad Beats, Stark Raving Beats.
                    Noise Box is the best of all of them in my humble opinion.
                    -J

                    --- In spectrasonics@yahoogroups.com, "geoffnfa" <geoffh@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there,
                    > I am looking for some great RMX add ons. I have heard the Nine Volt
                    Audio stuff, which I will
                    > soon purchase. I also read a reference to a multi pack for RMX...
                    Who sells that one?
                    > Cheers,
                    > Geoff

                  • geoffnfa
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
                      Hi again,
                      Thanks for the great replies. I will check each expander out. I also have R.A.W. which is
                      pretty comprehensive. I am gonna check out Noise Box since you recommend it. I like the
                      way the Nine Volt Audio stuff sounds on their website. Another future purchase for sure.
                      Keep 'em coming if possible.
                      Cheers,
                      Geoff