NEWS: CCA and WCPA Still Squabbling

  • NMarriott@sjm.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2003
      Split in curling looks like it can be healed
      Cause for cautious optimism on main player issues

      Mon, Jan 20, 2003

      Paul Wiecek, Winnipeg Free Press

      "Will there be peace in our time?"That's been the burning question in
      curling circles all season as fans, players and organizers alike wonder
      whether the Canadian Curling Association and World Curling Players
      Association can negotiate an end to the current schism.

      It has become a given that both parties want an end to the split, which for
      the second year sees the country's top teams boycotting the Brier to curl
      instead on the four-event Slam.

      But exactly what are the issues? And where is the negotiating process at?

      Here's what we know: The players presented a detailed written list of
      demands to the CCA in early December.

      The demands were then referred to the CCA's board of directors, who were
      instructed to forward their thoughts back to CCA head office by last
      Wednesday. A counter-proposal is now being prepared.

      So what do the players want? And, while it's too late for this year, what
      are the chances a deal will be done in time for the 2004 Brier? We sought
      out the CCA's Dave Parkes and the WCPA's Jon Mead for answers.

      Parkes, a Manitoba native, is the CEO of the CCA and the man who's been
      appointed their chief negotiator. He's likable and even the most virulent in
      the anti-CCA camp seem to respect him.

      And then there's Mead. The Brier-winning third for Jeff Stoughton, he's also
      the sales manager for Asham Curling Supplies and a WCPA vice-president.

      Mead's level-headed and honest, conceding the Slam has made mistakes but
      also stressing he's convinced it will all lead to the growth of the sport in
      the future.

      While neither man would reveal exactly what's in the players' proposal --
      both are understandably reluctant to negotiate through the media -- four
      central player demands have clearly emerged.

      What follows are those demands, where the CCA and players sit on each one,
      and an analysis of the immediate prospects for a resolution. z The players
      want the right to wear sponsors' crests on their provincial uniforms at the
      Brier.

      Mead: "We want to be able to give our sponsors some bang for their buck."

      Parkes: "Cresting is clearly an issue we might be able to move on."

      The skinny: This one's a no-brainer. The only outstanding issue is that the
      CCA wouldn't be able to allow such crests until the 2005 Brier because of
      current contracts. It's hard to imagine the players would allow a one-year
      delay to be a deal-breaker.

      z The players want purse money at the Brier.

      Mead: "If the event's making a million dollars, we feel there should be
      prize money... The team that wins deserves a lot more than the team that
      finishes 12th."

      Parkes: "Purse money at the Brier is a huge philosophical issue as well as a
      business issue. Whatever we do will be good for the sport and not just a few
      teams."

      The skinny: This one sounds like a throw-in. Even Mead acknowledges that
      while there's no purse money, winning the Brier is already worth huge bucks,
      with all the other opportunities -- and Sport Canada funding -- that goes
      with it. If the players insisted on it, it's hard to imagine the CCA
      couldn't find $100,000 in purse money to placate them. Either way, this one
      sounds like it will go away.

      z The players want a standardized provincial playdowns system, with berths
      to the defending champs and/or top cashspielers.

      Mead: "We'd like our events to stop conflicting with CCA events... and come
      up with a system that allows players the opportunity to spend more time
      sharpening their skills on the tour."

      Parkes: "We've been working with the provinces to try and come up with a
      system that makes sense across the country."

      The skinny: Quebec's already changed their playdowns system, Saskatchewan's
      talking about big changes, while Ontario and Manitoba are looking at
      tweaking. Even in Alberta, where the southern and northern curling
      associations don't get along, they're at least talking.

      This could take a year or two to finally hammer out, but it would be hard
      for the players to blame the CCA for not trying. The question for the
      players will be whether a commitment to change is good enough.

      z The players want Olympic Trials berths for at least some of their Slam
      events. Mead: "You can't argue with the results of the last two Trials
      (where many teams had earned their berths via World Curling Tour events).
      The teams that were there were, for the most part, the teams that should
      have been there."

      Parkes: "That's an area where I think the players are going to have to wait
      and see what's in our counter-proposal."

      The skinny: The CCA is believed to want the 2003-05 Brier and 2003-05 Canada
      Cup to be Trials berth events. And there are also hints that they might be
      looking at staging another Trials qualifier or two. That wouldn't leave many
      berths for the Slam if the Trials are kept to a 10-team field, and they
      almost certainly will be.

      The Slam needs the credibility Trials berths would give it. But the CCA
      seems to be increasingly leaning another way. This one could be a problem.

      So put it all together and how likely are we to get a deal done?

      "I'm as optimistic as I've been in three years," says Parkes. "but I
      wouldn't bet the farm on it.

      "Our counter-proposal will be fair and in the best interests of the sport.
      And hopefully that's good enough. But if it isn't, we're not going to bend
      over so far backwards that we break."

      And from Mead: "(Slam underwriter) IMG isn't concerned with exclusivity and
      they'd like to see us back out there playing in everything again. They see
      there's more to be gained from that. But they'll take their lead from us.
      "As a group, we'll have to sit back and say, 'We didn't get everything we
      wanted, but we did get a lot. Is that enough?' "

      This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged,
      confidential or legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not a named
      addressee, you are notified that you are not authorized to read, print,
      retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the
      sender and that doing so may be unlawful. If you have received this
      communication in error, please notify the sender via return e-mail and
      delete it from your computer. Thank you. St. Jude Medical, Inc.