Fawkes Belt Broke

  • Joe From Tampa Fl
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
      Well like the rest the belt on my Sparrow broke today after only
      3,250 miles.
      I was hoping mine would be different then everyone elses. I'm not
      sure why I felt mine would be different since my batteries are about
      shot even with all the care. When Tom mentioned the other day that
      his belt started getting quiet I relised mine hadn't needed the usual
      application of Radio Shack teflon lube lately. My situation was a
      very normal sunny day I just stopped at my local Harley dealer to
      check out bikes and show off. I just started leaving the parking
      space going very slow because of the crowd when the belt snaped with
      a bang and the motor reved slightly so I immediatly turned the switch
      to neutral and the key off. Since I wasn't positive what was
      happening I also hit the BRB. This was not a good showing for the
      Sparrow which I had to sit by for 2 hours till a tow truck showed up
      then I got to parade the Sparrow through town on the tow truck. I'm
      very glad I had the eye bolt in my trunk for this emergency. It sure
      made hoisting the Sparrow up onto the back of the truck very easy
      plus added a great tie down. I hope it won't take too long to get my
      new belt. Does anyone know if Corbin has improved the belts since
      this started happening?

      -JOE (FAWKES #154)
    • Edward Ang
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001

        May I suggest that everyone does a detailed belt visual inspection if your
        belt has more than 3000 miles? Look for any cracks, dirt, or signs of
        damage. Mine has more than 9500 miles now. This really worries me.

        Also, anyone knows a second source to get the belt? I believe $85 is way
        too much of the belt. If it is less than $30, I would be glad to have mine
        replaced every year.

        Ed Ang
      • David Bock
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
          For belts contact Pfeifer industries, there usa based, they also
          supply the large sprockets.
          http://www.pfeiferindustries.com/
          Regards

          Dave Bock
          E2V.Ltd
          www.e2v.co.uk
        • Davide Andrea
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
            --- In sparrow_ev@y..., "Edward Ang" <EdAng@m...> wrote:
            > anyone knows a second source to get the belt? I believe $85 is way
            > too much of the belt. If it is less than $30, I would be glad to
            have mine
            > replaced every year.

            The cheapest I found it for is $ 130. So, getting it from Corbion (I
            paid $ 110) is cheaper.

            The labor in changing the belt is such that I wouldn't change every
            year just 'cause. And, I am on my 5th belt in less than 2 years, so
            once a year would't be enough in my experience.

            Davide
          • Davide Andrea
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
              --- In sparrow_ev@y..., "Joe From Tampa Fl" <clubjoe@g...> wrote:
              > Well like the rest the belt on my Sparrow broke today after only
              > 3,250 miles.

              Just a remonder that there's a belt service bulletin at:

              While this bulletin has lots of info and pictures, do refer also to
              Corbin's instructions, which may be harder to read, but are
              applicable to more recent Sparrows.

              20from%20owners/corbinbeltchg.txt

              Davide
            • wagnle@jea.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
                Davide, have you had any break since the new sprocket was installed?
              • Davide Andrea
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
                  --- In sparrow_ev@y..., wagnle@j... wrote:
                  > Davide, have you had any break since the new sprocket was installed?

                  No. But I haven't driven Zark that much, now that my batteries are
                  more for ballast than for energy storage. :(

                  Davide