range estimates

  • Steve Theodore
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Are a lot of people consistently managing better than 30 miles on a
      single charge? After looking over the battery threads from the summer
      it seems like a lot of people couldn't manage that range
      consistently...

      On a related note, has anyone experimented with replacing the
      Sparrow's batteries with NiMh cells? from looking at other cars (eg
      the Th!nk) it seems like the nickel-metal batteries give longer
      ranges and longer lifespans (or is that just hype?)
    • CorbinSparrow@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
        In a message dated 10/1/01 9:28:23 PM, steve@... writes:

        << Are a lot of people consistently managing better than 30 miles on a
        single charge? >>

        i consider 30 the absolute upper limit in a sparrow.
        peter
      • Noel Adams
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          On Mon, 01 October 2001, "Steve Theodore" wrote:

          > On a related note, has anyone experimented with replacing the
          > Sparrow's batteries with NiMh cells? from looking at other cars (eg
          > the Th!nk) it seems like the nickel-metal batteries give longer
          > ranges and longer lifespans (or is that just hype?)

          Actually the Th!nk has NiCads not NiMH and they do give a better range (and Weigh less). When they launch the US version in 2003 they are going to use PbA.

          The problem with NiMH is:
          1. Getting them
          2. Paying out the $11,000 - $15,000 that it would cost for a set to power the Sparrow.
          3. Adding a cooling mechanism, if you think that the YT's overheat you should try NiMH in an enclosed space. The EV1 had to run the air conditioning during charging just to keep them cool.

          If you could get them and do all the mods to make them work you would just about double the range on the Sparrow.

          http://www.shopping.altavista.com
        • dmatonak@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
            I saw some info on the Evercel nickel-zinc batteries and they look
            pretty good except that their MD-100 12 volt battery is 13 inches
            long. They will not fit in the Sparrow I. I have not talked to them
            about making a battery that could fit (they make several sizes) but
            if anybody is interested their website is "www.evercel.com".

            Daniel

            p.s. their MD-100 12 volt battery weighs 40 lbs with 85 amh at C1

            --- In sparrow_ev@y..., Noel Adams <anbausa@a...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 01 October 2001, "Steve Theodore" wrote:
            >

            > > On a related note, has anyone experimented with replacing the
            > > Sparrow's batteries with NiMh cells? from looking at other cars
            (eg
            > > the Th!nk) it seems like the nickel-metal batteries give longer
            > > ranges and longer lifespans (or is that just hype?)
            > >

            > Actually the Th!nk has NiCads not NiMH and they do give a better
            range (and Weigh less). When they launch the US version in 2003 they
            are going to use PbA.

            > The problem with NiMH is:
            > 1. Getting them
            > 2. Paying out the $11,000 - $15,000 that it would cost for a set to
            power the Sparrow.
            > 3. Adding a cooling mechanism, if you think that the YT's overheat
            you should try NiMH in an enclosed space. The EV1 had to run the air
            conditioning during charging just to keep them cool.

            > If you could get them and do all the mods to make them work you
            would just about double the range on the Sparrow.

            > Find the best deals on the web at AltaVista Shopping!
            > http://www.shopping.altavista.com
          • Tom Morrow
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
              I was reading the EV1 mailing list regularly before GM flat out said I
              had no chance of getting an EV1. While the NiMHs give great range,
              they were known to be much more finicky about overheating and
              generally not as reliable as the lead acid. The Gen2 lead acid
              batteries (Panasonic) got almost as much range as the NiMHs, and were
              much more reliable and much lower cost. So the sentiment there seemed
              to be that the new lead acid batteries are currently preferable.

              I think this is generally the case... NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries
              have a lot of promise and will likely beat out Lead Acid as they are
              developed, but for now in our sparrows with limited cooling and
              unsophisticated chargers, lead acid is probably the only practical
              choice. But of course there is nothing wrong with being impractical;
              some would say anyone driving an EV is being impractical :-)

              -Tom