Re: [sparrow_ev] Re: New to list, with Questions

  • Jonathan Frieman
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1 12:34 AM
      >From: Jonathan Frieman <yogi@...>
      >
      >.................. I still don't understand the electric meter beyond the
      >use of the percentage reader which is the only gauge upon which I rely,
      >
      >NO!

      Pweeth don't thcweem at me. Thniff thniff. I'm thenthitive.

      #225!!

      > > Third, how does one get the overhead light to work? It did
      >> once and then stopped.
      >
      >Might have a blow fuse.

      I'll look for that. Does that fuse also run the laundry or
      the dishwasher? ;)

      > > Fourth, the brakes screech. Bad. How to alleviate that crying?
      >
      >When you first start your drive, press firmly on the brakes. This usually
      >warms up the brakes enough to stop the screeching.

      I've heard WD40 does the trick...?

      >There is information about charging, using timers, maintenance, and other
      >important information in the archives. Read them. You got a ton of
      >homework now.
      >Good luck and welcome aboard Sparrownaut!

      Thanks.
      And are archives those things that go in Ceasar salads....?
      --
      Jonathan
    • Mark Bonney
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1 7:57 AM
        My e-meter used to reset on a regular basis. It hasn't done so in
        months now. I always roll the windows up one at a time and very
        quickly release the switch when they get to the top. I also turn off
        the CD player before turning off the key so there is no sudden pull
        of juice when I go to start it.

        Good luck - and welcome!
        Mark in MI
        Firefly #164

        --- In sparrow_ev@y..., Jonathan Frieman <yogi@w...> wrote:
        Second, any way to keep the percentage meter from resetting?
        > The other day, when it was around 67%, I had stopped in town to run
        > quick errand. I got back in, lowered the windows and I noticed the
        > Dwd/RVrs light dimming and the meter reset to 100. I understand I
        can
        > turn off some sort of transistor...?

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jonathan Frieman
        > San Rafael, CA
        > 415-721-7397
      • Sid Lloyd
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1 11:37 AM
          --- In sparrow_ev@y..., usmcf4driver@y... wrote:
          > I agree about the metal strips in the vacinity of the head. I am
          > very careful when cornering over a gutter or known bump. I got my
          > bell rung twice. I am in the the thinking process for a
          > solution. Been looking at materials to secure to the metal as a
          pad
          > without having it look cluttered. Best idea so far is that foam
          > material that is put around pipes or sometimes used on bike racks,
          and
          > having it covered with material that matches the interior.
          Probably
          > secure it with velcor.
          > "Anyone thought about this?

          I'd recommend a product called Temperfoam. It was/is used by NASA
          and also in the aviation industry to absorb impacts. It's kind of
          pricey, but a few strips wouldn't cost much. In comes in different
          colors and you could use spray adhesive to attach it. I've thought
          of doing this too. While riding is a Sparrow may be like riding "in
          a big motorcycle helmet," this big motorcycle helmet has no padding,
          just a shell!

          Sid

          Sid
        • Deryl Dantzler
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1 2:35 PM
            From: Jonathan Frieman <yogi@...>

            > #225!!
            Greetings from your "litter mate", #224.

            > > > Third, how does one get the overhead light to work? It did
            > >> once and then stopped.
            > >
            > >Might have a blow fuse.

            Could also be a blown bulb. Cover removes by slipping a blade into one end
            and pressing gently.
          • Chris Worthington
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1 2:39 PM
              Jonathan,

              There has been much, very much discussion on this list about screeching
              brakes. The only solution seeming to be long-lasting is a replacement to a
              softer brake pad done by Joe Fawkes. If you search the archives or look back
              around April/May you should find his info.
              Since your vehicle is new, you might take care to brake lightly for a month
              or so, then give it a little more time to see if it goes away on it's own.
              Although the experience of others indicates it probably wont.

              Chris

            • jsaun@offworld.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1 11:21 PM
                --- In sparrow_ev@y..., Jonathan Frieman <yogi@w...> wrote:
                > All,
                > I am new to the list as of a couple days ago. I perceive a

                Welcome!

                > Second, any way to keep the percentage meter from resetting?
                > The other day, when it was around 67%, I had stopped in town to run
                > quick errand. I got back in, lowered the windows and I noticed the
                > Dwd/RVrs light dimming and the meter reset to 100. I understand I
                can
                > turn off some sort of transistor...?

                The windows draw a lot of current at the upper or lower
                limits, and the window wires are too small. They can dim
                the lights and cause the 12v system to reset. Search the
                group for threads on changing the wires to larger gauge,
                and also on E-meter resets. There's a nifty trick with
                capacitors that saves the E-meter for a few seconds.

                > Third, how does one get the overhead light to work? It did
                > once and then stopped.

                The bulb may be loose. Pry the entire fixture out with a small
                flat blade screwdriver, then open it up and check that everything
                is seated well. Sometimes the wires get loose.

                > Fourth, the brakes screech. Bad. How to alleviate that crying?

                Lots of recent threads on this. The fix seems to be to change
                to brake pads for a Karmann Ghia.

                > Lastly, bike helmet. I wear one more often than not--the
                > metal sides of the door are right next to my head and for safety
                > reasons I think it's a good idea. Anyone else in on this idea with
                me?

                I think that would look pretty silly. I got my clock cleaned
                several times in the first 30 days or so, then learned to lean
                with the suspension as it moves. Pay attention to going up
                curbs and going over speed bumps. If you can get both front
                wheels to take the obstacle at the same time then you won't get
                the lean. See early messages in the group (< #500 or so) on
                this topic. Some of the adhesive backed hot water pipe insulating
                foam is not a bad idea.

                - Jeff Saunders