Re: Sparrow #38 - The Enerdel Adventure Begins...

  • Phil Salkie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      Some more information on the Enerdel cells and the packs they fit into:

      Davide Andrea has a very detailed teardown description on the Enerdel
      12-slice pack (which is how they're shipped from the manufacturer - Peter
      Senkowski takes them apart and re-arranges them into other configurations.)

      You can see that description with many excellent photos here:

      http://liionbms.com/cgi-bin/moin.py/CustomProducts/EDI/EnerdelBattery?highlight=%28Enerdel%29

      He has also produced a spec sheet for the 16 AH "Power" cells and the 17.5 AH
      "Energy" cells (I'm using the Energy cells):

      http://liionbms.com/php/cells.php#Enerdel

      (Note that this page has specs for many, many lithium cell manufacturers,
      it's a wealth of information for those of us who are doing conversions.)

      I've been asked about the chemistry of the Enerdel cells. Their website
      is short on information, but some digging indicates that the anode is
      "hard carbon" and the cathode is "lithium-manganese oxide spinel".

      Hard carbon is supposed to give a longer life span with less failure due
      to cracking than the graphite that's in a typical LiFePO4 cell.

      The lithium-manganese oxide spinel is neat - it's a nanostructured cubic
      lattice crystal of a gemstone-like material which allows the lithium ions
      to readily enter and leave the crystal structure. They start with lithium
      manganese oxide (LiMn2O4) and etch it with acid to remove almost all the
      lithium, while maintaining the physical crystal structure. That structure
      then serves as a cathode material which can take up and release lithium ions
      as the battery is charged and discharged.

      I've now got two packs in hand, and two are in transit. With luck I'll start
      the conversion the week of June 10th, and I plan to take lots and lots of
      pictures.

      Can't wait,

      Phil Salkie
      Sparrow #38
      Lime Green, "Falcon of Fong"
    • greg williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
        Wow,   I will be anxiously awaiting progress Enerdel reports and photos.
        My green sparrow sits in the garage with a pile of dead yellow tops outside.
        Sure would be nice if someone made a DIY kit for Lithium-izing a Sparrow.

        With over 300 of them built, it seems like a market is out there.

        Greg