Re: Hissing sound and acceleration symptom

  • eino_lindfors
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012
      I diagnosed the problem this afternoon. It appears that the S1 copper lug on the motor had broken (probably from road bumps, and maybe the cable is not very flexible). The rubber boot held it in place, the hissing sound was the intermittent connection and arcing whenever the connection was broken. I guess I will try to get another cable made that is more flexible.
    • Jeff Saunders
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
        If you do get a new cable made, it's probably worth a bit of extra expense to make it a bit heavier gauge.  Lower resistance, less heat, and more durable are all good things.
        Remember that stranded cables (twisted or braided) are more flexible than solid.  If you have lugs on the end, crimped and soldered (with acid flux) will give you the best conductor.

        Cheers,

        Jeff

      • Jeff S
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
          Someone replied to me questioning the point of crimp and solder, versus just crimp alone, and asked me to back it up.

          I'll just say this: follow the manufacturer's instructions for your connectors. If they say crimp, crimp them to the proper spec. If they say solder, do that to spec.

          Cheers,

          Jeff

          --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Saunders <saunderj@...> wrote:

          > If you do get a new cable made, it's probably worth a bit of extra expense to make it a bit heavier gauge. �Lower resistance, less heat, and more durable are all good things.
          > Remember that stranded cables (twisted or braided) are more flexible than solid. �If you have lugs on the end, crimped and soldered (with acid flux) will give you the best conductor.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Jeff�

        • Dan Bortel
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
            The problem with saying crimp and solder is that someone will do a so-so job
            of crimping and think they can make up for it with solder. That is a sure
            way to get a fire. It is a poor connection and it will heat up. When it
            heats up it melts out the solder, and then you have an even poorer
            connection. Then it gets really hot and melts the lead battery terminal. At
            this point you get sparks and a big fire.

            The terminal needs to be crimped, with the proper crimper (not a pair of
            vice grips or anything else makeshift), and to the proper torque. The
            finished crimp should be solid, and no amount of tugging should be able to
            pull it out. Once that is done, then you can solder it, if you want, but
            only to add corrosion protection (contact grease, sold for battery
            terminals, is a lot easier and works just as well).

            Dan

            _____

            --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sparrow_ev%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Jeff Saunders <saunderj@...> wrote:

            > If you do get a new cable made, it's probably worth a bit of extra expense
            to make it a bit heavier gauge. �Lower resistance, less heat, and more
            durable are all good things.
            > Remember that stranded cables (twisted or braided) are more flexible than
            solid. �If you have lugs on the end, crimped and soldered (with acid flux)
            will give you the best conductor.

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Jeff�

          • Greg Fordyce
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
              On 06/03/12 04:29, Dan Bortel wrote:
              > <snip> Once that is done, then you can solder it, if you want,<snip>

              Also consider that if the wire/cable needs to be flexible, then
              soldering it will make it rigid and more likely to break again.

              Greg

              --
              "The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones.
              The Oil Age will end not because we ran out of oil,

              --

              Greg's Garage (Galashiels) Ltd
              Unit 4, Waukrigg Mill

              Greg's Garage (Galashiels) Ltd is registered in England.
              Registered office; 34 Bertie Road, Cumnor, Oxon, 0X2 9PS.
              Company number; 5239466.