Updates on #207 and questions about battery pack replacement

  • griffmar7
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2012
      Update on #207:

      We are having a blast! Brakes are working so much better after sanding rotor, cleaning and lubing slide pegs and spraying copper coating over shoes and lubing contact points. I also replaced the old brake fluid. We have acquired a new windshield washer bottle thanks to Rick at Myers Motors. I had a loose steering wheel, and found out it was attached without lock washers. I am not sure if one of the past owners may have removed them and not reinstalled them, or if they were not part of the original assembly. I just added 6 mm lock washers on under the mounting bolts and found another to put under the main nut as well. Will continue cleaning and adjusting. If anyone has pointers or advice please reply. I have installed the same 6mm lock washer under the screw for the piloting post in the outside mirrors to stop the drooping of the mirrors: it was a big help. I filed down the latch for the pizza butt trunk to enable the latch to catch correctly. The original never latched correctly.

      We are planning to install a complete pack of new Batteries in the spring. After the last posting about the optimum yellow tops, I would like to get some feedback on the Excide marine deep cycle as an alternative. Wish we could upgrade to lithium, but not in our budget. I know, I will need to make sure they are all fully charged before installing them, and I know all cables must be tightly secured to prevent electrical problems. I plan to inspect, replace and secure the brake lines as needed; any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Another question, while I have everything out, has anyone installed the sound deadening mats in their sparrow while changing out battery packs? If so, was it worth the effort?

      I still need to fix the brake light switch but in time.

      Thank you all for helping and sharing your advice.

      Martin
    • Joe Siudzinski
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
        Martin, thanks for the update and delighted your work on the brake
        system paid off. I'd never heard of spraying copper coating over the
        brake pads...

        The brake light switch is very easy to replace.The one that failed on
        both my Sparrows is located behind the little panel on the left under
        the dashboard. Need to remove the door panel first, IIRC, but that is
        very easy and quick, also. The brake light switch is readily available
        at any old auto parts store - check the parts cross-reference list.

        Before you replace the whole battery pack, have you done any
        measurements? Perhaps you have only one or two dead Optimas and the
        rest are ok? There are two schools of thought: replace the entire
        pack with batteries hopefully from the same manufactured batch for
        identicity, or replace them individually as they fail.

        In my case, I've been successful at only replacing individual
        batteries ... some needed replacement even though I only put a couple
        of thousand miles on them since I previously replaced them, whereas
        others just keep on chugging along seemingly endlessly. Perhaps more
        time consuming overall, but certainly less hits on the wallet.

        I had added 13 small individual chargers to each of my Sparrows:
        http://www.batteryspace.com/leadacidsmartcharger08afor12vleadacidbatterywith3stagesfloating.aspx
        which I activate before my main charger drives any of the Optimas over
        15v. (I cut down the leads and made a daisy-chain on their power leads
        to reduce bulk).
        Using a PakTrakr to monitor the batteries.

        I prefer the marine blue-top Optimas (still the gray case) as the
        additional terminals make it easier to tie in the PakTrakr and
        individual charger and individual battery breakout wiring.

        I'd also like to hear from others about other battery brands for use
        in our Sparrows. Are Exide Orbitals the only other ones with this form
        factor?

        Yes, Lithium is the way to go for the future - Davide's terrific book
        on BMS is an eye-opener on the complexities of managing those things
        compared to our crude attempts with these Optimas.

        Have fun,

        JoeS.

        On Feb 5, 2012, at 14:29, griffmar7 wrote:

        > Update on #207:
        >
        > We are having a blast! Brakes are working so much better after
        > sanding rotor, cleaning and lubing slide pegs and spraying copper
        > coating over shoes and lubing contact points. I also replaced the
        > old brake fluid. We have acquired a new windshield washer bottle
        > thanks to Rick at Myers Motors. I had a loose steering wheel, and
        > found out it was attached without lock washers. I am not sure if
        > one of the past owners may have removed them and not reinstalled
        > them, or if they were not part of the original assembly. I just
        > added 6 mm lock washers on under the mounting bolts and found
        > another to put under the main nut as well. Will continue cleaning
        > and adjusting. If anyone has pointers or advice please reply. I
        > have installed the same 6mm lock washer under the screw for the
        > piloting post in the outside mirrors to stop the drooping of the
        > mirrors: it was a big help. I filed down the latch for the pizza
        > butt trunk to enable the latch to catch correctly. The original
        > never latched correctly.
        >
        > We are planning to install a complete pack of new Batteries in the
        > spring. After the last posting about the optimum yellow tops, I
        > would like to get some feedback on the Excide marine deep cycle as
        > an alternative. Wish we could upgrade to lithium, but not in our
        > budget. I know, I will need to make sure they are all fully charged
        > before installing them, and I know all cables must be tightly
        > secured to prevent electrical problems. I plan to inspect, replace
        > and secure the brake lines as needed; any other advice would be
        > greatly appreciated. Another question, while I have everything out,
        > has anyone installed the sound deadening mats in their sparrow while
        > changing out battery packs? If so, was it worth the effort?
        >
        > I still need to fix the brake light switch but in time.
        >
        > Thank you all for helping and sharing your advice.
        >
        > Martin

      • Martin Griffith
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
          Joe,

          Sorry, for the confusing.  The copper disc brake spray is for the back of the of the shoes and NOT the pads!

          Our battery pack is made up of different years. 2007, 08, and 09.  We are getting 12-15 miles per charge in 40 degree weather.
          When it is fully charged it cycles through a high of 205 to 196. Thanks for the input, I will have to check out each battery.
          Our sparrow is stock, and it has low mileage 2591 with very little wear.

          Thank you for the advise, any and all is more than welcome.  We got our bird the Tuesday right before Thanksgiving day.

          Thanks again,

          Martin