Life of the Drive belt

  • srwils
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
      Just had my first drive belt break today. It was 5 years old with 7600 miles on it. What are others getting for life and how often are people replacing the belts? On time or Miles or both?????

      Scot
    • rbolstadfamily@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
        I just passed 23,000 miles in just under 3 year on the original belt.

        Just had my first drive belt break today. It was 5 years old with 7600 miles on it. What are others getting for life and how often are people replacing the belts? On time or Miles or both?

        Scot

      • Randles, Rex
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
          I really miss my "bird", but this sounds about right from my experience after 2 years and replacing 2-3 belts. Age and sitting idle takes its toll. My bird sat idle for a couple of months because of batteries. I wish I had spun the wheel and therefore the belt by hand occasionally just to get it off the small motor drive gear. After about 2 months of sitting because of the batteries, my belt broke the first night I drove it with the new batteries and I think it's because it was just sitting. Then again just general wear and tear plays a large part too. Once there was someone who had some info on a temporary/spare belt that could be installed when the main belt broke and another one (temporary) could be installed quickly with a belt and a coupler to get you home where you could replace it with the prescribed belt. I never had a chance to figure it out or try it.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
            > What are others getting for life and how often are people
            > replacing the belts?

            > On time or Miles or both?

            Having broken several belts, in only 6000 miles, I can tell you that it
            was always due to my gunning my Sparrow. Yes, wear and tear may be a
            cause, but certainly a single impulse of torque will break even a new belt.
            Davide
          • Richard Clester
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
              Belts have been a huge issue.  If belts continuously break, the cost to replace
              offsets the benefit of driving electrically very quickly.  One of the reasons R
              Bolstad's belt is lasting longer is due to a Inner Belt Guard installed.  It is
              difficult to make an inner belt guard for the Corbin Swing arm because the Arm
              is round.  On the Myers Motors Swing arm which is rectangular tube, it is much
              easier to make an inner guard that decreases the possibility of slinging stones
              or debris when putting the vehicle in reverse.

              We were noticing quite a few belts breaking about 6 years ago and the Gates Belt
              and our pulley distributor told us he was having problems with close to a 50%
              break rate... he quit supplying Gates... we looked for a different belt.
              Fortunately, Goodyear came out with the Falcon HTC  8GTR-1600-36 belt that we
              believe is better and quieter.  So that is now what we've been using.

              Later on, Gates changed their belt and it now has a blue inner color tooth
              material... supposedly it is better.... but I have no proof.  But when we did
              use it I had no major breaking being reported... and belt sales has decreased on
              our web.

              Another contributing factor is that we have changed the front pulley and rear
              pulley to different sizes.  We are now a 4.194 gear ratio.  The front pulley has
              31 teeth and the rear pulley has 130 versus the 24/135 that the Corbin Sparrow
              has.  This has reduced the small diameter that the belt sees and has reduced the
              extreme torque that the Corbin has had.

              Rick

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
                Richard Clester wrote:
                > Belts have been a huge issue....

                That was a great report, Rick; thanks!

                I hope you don't mind, but I added it to the Belt page in the Sparrow wiki:
                http://enviromotors.com/wiki/index.php/Sparrow/Belt

                To all Sparrownauts:
                Please do add your Sparrow know-how to the Sparrow Wiki.
                The password is: Sparrownaut

                Davide
              • rcurieljr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 19, 2012
                  Just to add another data point. I bought sparrow #116 back in 2000 and received it in 2001. Checking the odometer I got 15K on my original belt. It broke when I took an off ramp it bit too fast with wet conditions and did a 180 ending up on the side of the off ramp out of the way. Vehicle has been idle since...

                  Ray

                  --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, davide <web@...> wrote:

                  > > What are others getting for life and how often are people
                  > > replacing the belts?
                  >

                  > > On time or Miles or both?
                  >
                  > Having broken several belts, in only 6000 miles, I can tell you that it
                  > was always due to my gunning my Sparrow. Yes, wear and tear may be a
                  > cause, but certainly a single impulse of torque will break even a new belt.
                  > Davide

                • Sandy Harmon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012
                    Hey Rick.

                    Sandy and EVita here. I have a question about my voltage reading (the first reading on the e-meter). What should it be when fully charged? I charged overnight and the last green bar is blinking, indicating a full charge, but my first reading is only 95-96. Shouldn't this be higher?

                    Thanks for you help and advise.

                    Sandy and EVita