Bleeding the brakes

  • eino_lindfors
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2011
      Hi, I noticed my brakes were squealing too much... so decided to bleed the brakes... Seems I have made the brakes spongy...somehow must of gotten air in the system. The rear brake seemed to bleed easily. The front brakes do not seem to bleed much at all, when I try to pump the brake petal. Any suggestions on how to get the front to bleed out? Or do I have something wrong with the master cylinder? thanks, Eino.
    • Phillip
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2011
        Hi Eino,

        I recently bled the brakes on my Sparrow as well. My Sparrow had been sitting unused for most of the first 9 years of it's life though, so there was corrosion internal to the brake lines and calipers, and the master cylinder had failed.

        The front breaks should bleed easily though, if you loosen one of the bleeder screws (can't remember if you're supposed to do the top or bottom screw) fluid should squirt right out as you pump the brakes. I would think no flow is possibly due to a failed master cylinder (an aftermarket replacement part number can be found somewhere in the Sparrow forum). The master cylinder has a seperate front and rear brake line tap, so the rear brake may work and the front part may have failed.

        If you're replacing the master cylinder (which is rather difficult, but can be done in about two hours) it's not a bad idea to clean and rebuild the Wilwood brakes. New seals and cylinders for the disk brake calipers can be purchased from http://www.summitracing.com/, and you just have to take the brakes apart, clean them, and pop in the new cylinders and seals.

        The squeaking is likely due to your Sparrow still having the original brake pads, which are a bit to hard for the Sparrow. There's a replacement number for softer pads on the Sparrow forum as well. You can use a product called disc brake quiet on the original pads, but I tried this and my brakes still squeak.

        It's not so easy to have a quiet EV!
        Phil

        --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "eino_lindfors" <elindfors@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I noticed my brakes were squealing too much... so decided to bleed the brakes... Seems I have made the brakes spongy...somehow must of gotten air in the system. The rear brake seemed to bleed easily. The front brakes do not seem to bleed much at all, when I try to pump the brake petal. Any suggestions on how to get the front to bleed out? Or do I have something wrong with the master cylinder? thanks, Eino.

      • Jacob Oshins
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
          I've never been able to get the Sparrow's brakes to bleed the way that all
          my other cars did. A few years ago, a master mechanic on this list
          recommended a different way to do it, which worked like a charm for me.

          Go to a medical supply store and buy the biggest syringe they sell. Attach
          a hose to it and fill it full of brake fluid. Connect the other end of the
          hose to the loosened bleeder screw nipple. Squeeze the syringe so that
          fluid is forced up through the brake line from the bottom. Tighten the
          screw.

          You have to use the syringe to remove excess fluid from the reservoir, but
          other than that, it works perfectly and you are left with no bubbles.

          - Jake Oshins

          --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sparrow_ev%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "eino_lindfors" <elindfors@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I noticed my brakes were squealing too much... so decided to bleed the
          brakes... Seems I have made the brakes spongy...somehow must of gotten air
          in the system. The rear brake seemed to bleed easily. The front brakes do
          not seem to bleed much at all, when I try to pump the brake petal. Any
          suggestions on how to get the front to bleed out? Or do I have something
          wrong with the master cylinder? thanks, Eino.

        • Clarence Tan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
            Brilliant !!! sounds like a good idea... is the brakes the wilwood
            ones ???

            Clarence

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
              Yes.