Solar Sparrow

  • DavideA
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hello Sparrownauts,

      It's my great pleasure to present to you:

      <<< The Solar Sparrow >>>

      The panels are in 4 sections, and fold like a map.
      For charging, the panels are unfolded, and leaned against the front of the Sparrow, at an angle that is appropriate for my latitude.
      For driving, the panels are folded down in a cradle, in place of the bumper.

      Pictures:

      Eleven PV panels produce 18 V each, for a total of 200 V, at a peak current of 500 mA. That is the only charging source: there is no AC powered charger.

      Range is about 60 miles (Li-Ion battery), and full charge time is about 3 weeks. In other words, I get 3 miles for every day of solar charging.
      That's more than I need: I work 1 mile from home.

      Davide
      Zark
      VIN 29
    • Joe Siudzinski
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        Love it! And your timing is perfect... :-)

        JoeS.
      • Dan Bortel
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          That has to be the most expensive front bumper that I've ever seen!! ;)

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            <<< The Solar Sparrow >>>

            Very Cool!  Congratulations!

            Have you figured out how many miles you'll need to drive to payback the costs
            involved?

            Rick

          • DavideA
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
              > It's my great pleasure to present to you:
              > <<< The Solar Sparrow >>>

              There is a long tradition in this group to present absurd posts on the Sparrow on April Fools' day.

              Yesterday, April 1st, when I introduced the "Solar Sparrow", I couldn't tell whether you all thought it was a joke (complete with a high quality Photoshopped images) or for real.

              In case you're still wondering: it's for real.

              Davide
              Zark
              VIN 29
            • Brad
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
                Davide,
                Amazing,I finally thought I made it through April 1, without being fooled. Now to find out I was actual fooled!

                Brad Sparrow 172 51,058 miles and still charging off the grid.

                --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "DavideA" <web@...> wrote:

                > > It's my great pleasure to present to you:
                > > <<< The Solar Sparrow >>>
                >
                > There is a long tradition in this group to present absurd posts on the Sparrow on April Fools' day.
                >
                > Yesterday, April 1st, when I introduced the "Solar Sparrow", I couldn't tell whether you all thought it was a joke (complete with a high quality Photoshopped images) or for real.
                >
                > In case you're still wondering: it's for real.
                >
                > Davide
                > Zark
                > VIN 29

              • Joe Siudzinski
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2011
                  Your math was in the ballpark and I had done something similar for an
                  Earth Day demo a couple of years ago using four large panels, 12v
                  regulator, 12v battery, and a 120vac inverter all separately lugged to
                  the exhibit (I was running my Sparrow at 72v at the time and with
                  individual chargers could set the power draw to match the solar
                  output). Although you may starve first, at least with your portable
                  system you can demonstrate that you'll never be stranded (when
                  answering all those range-anxiety-related questions). :-) Can't
                  imagine you going to the trouble of setting this up on a daily basis -
                  besides, with a one mile commute walk/bike makes for a healthier
                  lifestyle :-) Thank you for the show and tell.

                  JoeS.

                  On Apr 2, 2011, at 8:43, DavideA wrote:

                  >> It's my great pleasure to present to you:
                  >> <<< The Solar Sparrow >>>
                  >
                  > There is a long tradition in this group to present absurd posts on
                  > the Sparrow on April Fools' day.
                  >
                  > Yesterday, April 1st, when I introduced the "Solar Sparrow", I
                  > couldn't tell whether you all thought it was a joke (complete with a
                  > high quality Photoshopped images) or for real.
                  >
                  > In case you're still wondering: it's for real.
                  >
                  > Davide
                  > Zark
                  > VIN 29
                • davide
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2011
                    Hello Joe,

                    > Can't
                    > imagine you going to the trouble of setting this up on a daily basis -
                    > besides, with a one mile commute walk/bike makes for a healthier
                    > lifestyle

                    Your point is well taken: as a matter of fact, I do bike or walk to work
                    every day, and have done so for many years.
                    (Many of you made your commute more environmentally friendly by buying a
                    Sparrow. I made it environmentally friendly by arranging my life in such
                    way that the commute is too short to need a vehicle.)

                    Hello Rick,
                    > Have you figured out how many miles you'll need to drive to payback
                    the costs
                    > involved?

                    I look at myself in disbelief, wondering whatever possessed me to
                    convert my Sparrow ("Zark") to solar. I don't need a car, and an EV that
                    is good for only an average of 3 miles per day is extremely impractical
                    (not to mention the 1000s of dollars I plunked into it).

                    I don't have a regular car (which is a bit ironic given that I make
                    Battery Management Systems for large traction packs for a living).
                    I belong to a CarShare: if I ever do need a car, I can have one on a
                    moment's notice. I believe that now, with my Solar Sparrow, those few
                    times I need to make a longish trip I will use the Solar Sparrow instead
                    of a CarShare car. But that can only be once a month.

                    I suspect I will mostly park Zark, facing South and with its solar
                    panels open, in places where it will make a statement.

                    It's crazy, I know. But as you shake your head, so am I.

                    Davide
                    Zark VIN 28
                    "Battery Management Systems for Large Lithium-Ion Battery Packs"
                    http://book.liionbms.com/