Re: stuck bolt on front of sparrow

  • chewy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
      the Kroil worked! woo hooo!

      good internet deal right now, too.

      gave second can to my dad, who has a stuck wheel on milling machine...let's see if it works for him.

      when the sun comes up, I will swap in the LEDs for both running/turn signal and swap in LED tail/brake lights, too.

      got a reasonable price from premier truck lighting on ebay. $58.60 shipped, for both yellow fronts and red rears, all 3 wire, and with added wiring plugs for the front ones.

      quality is good, too, unlike some of the really cheap imports.

      --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "chewy" <ejc_1818@...> wrote:

      > any ideas how to get one of the bolts loose below the front window (holds the cover for head light and turn lights)?
      >
      > I have used triflow lubricant, liquid wrench
      >
      > the first hex key was cheapo, so I bought a good one.
      >
      > I cannot get the bolt to budge. whacked it with a piece of wood and nothing.
      >
      > it is rusty and I am afraid that either my hex key is going to break, or, more likely, the inside of the hex is going to round off.
      >
      > what to do?

    • stonewerk2000
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
        Glad to hear it! I'm curious - what do you think of the smell? I find it rather pleasant (for a mechanical fluid), some really hate it...

        Tell you're Dad that I'm disappointed - he has a mill and no Kroil? Heh.. ;)

        Danny

        --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "chewy" <ejc_1818@...> wrote:

        > the Kroil worked! woo hooo!
        >
        > good internet deal right now, too.
        >
        > gave second can to my dad, who has a stuck wheel on milling machine...let's see if it works for him.
        >
        > when the sun comes up, I will swap in the LEDs for both running/turn signal and swap in LED tail/brake lights, too.
        >
        > got a reasonable price from premier truck lighting on ebay. $58.60 shipped, for both yellow fronts and red rears, all 3 wire, and with added wiring plugs for the front ones.
        >
        > quality is good, too, unlike some of the really cheap imports.
        >

        > --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "chewy" <ejc_1818@> wrote:
        > >
        > > any ideas how to get one of the bolts loose below the front window (holds the cover for head light and turn lights)?
        > >
        > > I have used triflow lubricant, liquid wrench
        > >
        > > the first hex key was cheapo, so I bought a good one.
        > >
        > > I cannot get the bolt to budge. whacked it with a piece of wood and nothing.
        > >
        > > it is rusty and I am afraid that either my hex key is going to break, or, more likely, the inside of the hex is going to round off.
        > >
        > > what to do?

      • chewy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
          well. I was reading the MSDS to see if I could figure out the ingredients, and it says it has a "pleasant" odor.

          I must say it smells like industrial bathroom cleaner, but at least I knew that wasn't what had dribbled onto my connector today.

          dad's milling machine is complete now :)

        • theoldcars@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
            A pleasant odor I don't think so. Honestly I hate the smell but I guess it
            could be worse.

            Kroil works so well I use it a lot in both spray cans and out of a gallon
            container to fill a small hand pump oiler. The hand oiler helps keep it to
            only the area your applying it to.

            I try not to get it only where it needs to be to keep the stench to a
            minimum.

            So how long did you let it sit before you attempted to remove the stuck
            bolt?

            Don

            In a message dated 6/6/2010 4:48:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            ejc_1818@... writes:

            well. I was reading the MSDS to see if I could figure out the ingredients,
            and it says it has a "pleasant" odor.

            I must say it smells like industrial bathroom cleaner, but at least I knew
            that wasn't what had dribbled onto my connector today.

            dad's milling machine is complete now :)

            --- In _mailto:sparrow_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
            (mailto:sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com) , "stonewerk2000" <dansto@...> wrote:

            > Glad to hear it! I'm curious - what do you think of the smell? I find it
            rather pleasant (for a mechanical fluid), some really hate it...

            > Tell you're Dad that I'm disappointed - he has a mill and no Kroil? Heh..
            ;)

            (mailto:sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com) , "chewy" <ejc_1818@> wrote:

            > > > any ideas how to get one of the bolts loose below the front window
            (holds the cover for head light and turn lights)?

            > > > I have used triflow lubricant, liquid wrench
            > > >
            > > > the first hex key was cheapo, so I bought a good one.
            > > >
            > > > I cannot get the bolt to budge. whacked it with a piece of wood and
            nothing.

            > > > it is rusty and I am afraid that either my hex key is going to break,
            or, more likely, the inside of the hex is going to round off.

            > > > what to do?

          • chewy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8, 2010
              I let the "pleasant" kroil sit for 2 hours. got some movement, then squirted a bit more once the bolt threads were exposed a bit more.

              I used the plastic tube to keep the stuff from spraying all over the paint/fiberglass.

              great stuff, stinky smell. go kroil!