Sparrow narrow tires and wheels

  • Kenneth Winter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      I have seen photos of some sparrows that had narrow tires.

      I have a few questions:

      1. Why did they make the tire/wheel larger?
      a. performance
      b. safety.. prone to roll over or skidding?

      2. Can the narrow tires still be purchased?

      3. If the goal was efficiency, wouldn't the narrow tire offer less rolling resistance?

      4. Were they dangerous?

      5. What brand and size were they?

      Any information will be appreciated.

      Sparrow dreaming
      Kenneth Winter
    • jeff james
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
        The early Sparrows with the Narrow,19" tire & wheel package were considerably more unstable. These wheels were a limited production run and the tire not much more than a motorcycle tire. The CG was way too high and the first one that I drove when starting my employ spent alot of time on two wheels. The speed capability was too fast for the untrained driver based on the instability of the vehicle. Lower rolling resistance was the concept but safety was the key issue. The suspension parts,geometry and center of gravity were quickly changed to convert to a smaller,slightly wider, less expensive package. The rolling resistance changed very little and the tire life increased tenfold. I my humble opinion,YES,they were dangerous!!! Jeff James Former VP OPS