Charger Replacement

  • lwg660
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      During the battery pack installation, we added leads to each battery so
      we could charge each battery individually. Initially we used the Zivan
      charger for bulk charging to 14.7Vdc on the highest battery and then
      switched to Deltran 5 and 10 bank chargers (P/Ns 021-0133 and 022-0134)
      to finish the charge. Since these chargers are only 2A, we decided to
      use a Deltran Power Tender Plus (P/N 022-0157-1) for each battery. The
      charge current with these chargers is 5A, which gives us an acceptable
      charge time. We installed six of them under the hood in place of the
      Zivan. We installed the remaining seven in the back compartment. We
      added additional cooling because the chargers can get rather warm when
      grouped in a closed space. I have added photos that show the
      installation.
    • Joe Siudzinski
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
        Thanks for the writeup and photos. I'm the happy user of a number of Deltran
        chargers in other applications.

        Do you still use the Zivan (bench mounted) for your bulk charging or in
        parallel with your Deltrans in order to speed up the whole charge process -
        the Deltrans acting as balancers?

        Any chance of Deltran making a lighter-weight and physically-smaller
        charger? Your competitors at Japlar-Schauer make a 1.8# 12A unit (JAC1212),
        but unfortunately its chassis is grounded and tied to B- and thus is
        unusable for our series application without opening up the safety ground and
        floating the chassis.

        BTW, am I the only one who opens the hood and takes out the seat when
        charging (to ensure battery ventilation)?

        JoeS.

        > From: lwg660 <larryg@...>
        > Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:28:45 -0000
        > To: <sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [sparrow_ev] Charger Replacement
        >
        > During the battery pack installation, we added leads to each battery so
        > we could charge each battery individually. Initially we used the Zivan
        > charger for bulk charging to 14.7Vdc on the highest battery and then
        > switched to Deltran 5 and 10 bank chargers (P/Ns 021-0133 and 022-0134)
        > to finish the charge. Since these chargers are only 2A, we decided to
        > use a Deltran Power Tender Plus (P/N 022-0157-1) for each battery. The
        > charge current with these chargers is 5A, which gives us an acceptable
        > charge time. We installed six of them under the hood in place of the
        > Zivan. We installed the remaining seven in the back compartment. We
        > added additional cooling because the chargers can get rather warm when
        > grouped in a closed space. I have added photos that show the
        > installation.

      • Sean Rarey
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
          That seems like a lot of weight, compexity and cost; why not just install
          an automatic balancing system?
          --
          Sean Rarey
          GPEV

          > During the battery pack installation, we added leads to each battery so
          > we could charge each battery individually. Initially we used the Zivan
          > charger for bulk charging to 14.7Vdc on the highest battery and then
          > switched to Deltran 5 and 10 bank chargers (P/Ns 021-0133 and 022-0134)
          > to finish the charge. Since these chargers are only 2A, we decided to
          > use a Deltran Power Tender Plus (P/N 022-0157-1) for each battery. The
          > charge current with these chargers is 5A, which gives us an acceptable
          > charge time. We installed six of them under the hood in place of the
          > Zivan. We installed the remaining seven in the back compartment. We
          > added additional cooling because the chargers can get rather warm when
          > grouped in a closed space. I have added photos that show the
          > installation.

        • lwg660
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
            We are not using the Zivan at all. We are only using the Deltran Power
            Tender Plus chargers. The Deltran chargers add about seven pounds over
            the Zivan charger. I do not know how much the equalizers would add but
            considering their weight along with the Zivan charger's weight, we are
            adding less than seven pounds. Considering that, plus the fact the
            Deltran Power Tender Plus has been independently tested to show it is
            one of the best chargers available to properly charge Optima batteries,
            we feel we have come up with a great solution for charging this battery
            pack. The independent test information will be released soon on our
            website, www.batterytender.com <http://www.batterytender.com> .

          • Sean Rarey
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
              In that case you are using bank charging; very effective and very
              battery-friendly _provided_ you have instrumentation such as the PakTrakr
              to warn you should a charger fail.
              --
              Sean Rarey
              GPEV

              > We are not using the Zivan at all. We are only using the Deltran Power
              > Tender Plus chargers. The Deltran chargers add about seven pounds over
              > the Zivan charger. I do not know how much the equalizers would add but
              > considering their weight along with the Zivan charger's weight, we are
              > adding less than seven pounds. Considering that, plus the fact the
              > Deltran Power Tender Plus has been independently tested to show it is
              > one of the best chargers available to properly charge Optima batteries,
              > we feel we have come up with a great solution for charging this battery
              > pack. The independent test information will be released soon on our
              > website, www.batterytender.com <http://www.batterytender.com> .

            • Richard Rettammel
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
                I love the Battery Tender products. I sell them in my store.
                How do you have this set up? Do you use 13 chargers? You say they add only seven pounds so I take it they are mounted under the hood?
                Please post some photos. I might do the same.

                Richard