Re: Belt lubricant

  • fred_dot_u
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
      I've used a different formulation of White Lightning, but on a bicycle
      chain. The Amazon.com listing shows this product to be suitable for
      bike chains, but I had not considered that it would be useful for belt
      lubrication too.

      Please excuse the obtuse question, but is it necessary to lubricate a
      belt? Do Harvey-Jacobsen* riders lubricate their belts as well? What
      is the negative effect of not lubricating and what are the positive
      effects of using belt lube?

      thanks

      fred

      *Harley-Davidson
      --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "j_warobi" <jwarobi@...> wrote:

      > I just tried "White Lightning - Clean Ride". It works great, but I
      > don't know yet how long it lasts between applications. Available on
      > amazon.com.
      >
      > -JD

    • j_warobi
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2008
        Many Sparrow owners have experienced a "squeal" from their belts. My
        Sparrow doesn't squeal until I get around 45 mph, but then the noise
        is surprisingly loud. It can be heard from at least a block away!

        The various belt lubes (and pulley anodizing) are an attempt to reduce
        this noise issue. A toothed belt itself does not "need" lube. I'm
        not sure why belt driven motorcycles don't squeal, but I think it has
        something to do with the Sparrow's aluminum "concave" shaped rear
        pulley. A good friend of mine rides a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard with a
        similar belt drive, but the rear pulley looks like it is steel & is
        not concave shaped.

        The "White Lightning - Clean Ride" contains Teflon and liquid wax. I
        don't know if it is the Teflon or the wax or a combination of the two
        that works. (But follow this thread & read about another owner's
        candle wax fix).

        - j_warobi
      • Richard Edmonston
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2008
          I stopped my squeal running my belt loose.

          Richard
          RCEV Products, LLC

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            >Many Sparrow owners have experienced a "squeal" from their belts. My
            >Sparrow doesn't squeal until I get around 45 mph, but then the noise
            >is surprisingly loud. It can be heard from at least a block away!

            Hi, I suspect the squeal is a bad motor bearing. I had my motor's bearing
            replaced recently, now my sparrow is unbelievable quiet. Eino
          • j_warobi
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              Hi,

              Once I applied the White Lightning to the inside of the belt, the
              Sparrow is now completely quiet. No squeal at all.

              Do you think the White Lightning is flinging off the belt onto the
              bearing? I can't think of any other reason that the belt lube would
              fix my bearing problem that you diagnosed.

              -JD
            • Jim Diebley
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12, 2008
                I have tried a couple different things. I have used bees wax from old
                candles to eliminate the squeel. That works very well and it makes
                the vehicle smell nice inside when you drive if you used a scented
                candle. Before I found this method, I actually installed a windshield
                wiper pump/reservoir in the back and wired it to a push button switch
                in the front cabin. I used the small plastic tubes/zerks into the
                plastic belt guard. When up to speed and I get the belt squeel, I
                just push the button for a second or two and it squirts some soapy
                water mixture onto my belt. The squeel stops immediately. I just
                collect my old/thin bars of soap from the shower and put into the
                small plastic reservoir. You do however need to make sure the plastic
                hose has a vertical bend or all the tank water will actually cyphin
                out onto the belt. I didn't do this at first and I had a pool of
                soapy water around my rear tire when I came back out to the parking
                lot after using the technique. It really did work well. After putting
                the bees wax on a couple times, i didn't need to use this method
                again.

                Jim