Trouble-free Sparrow?

  • Scott Broadbent
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
      I almost bought a sparrow. I had #101 reserved for over a year.
      After seeing the posts here, I'm glad I didn't. I am wondering:
      does anyone have a Sparrow that has no problems? Also, a Sparrow
      passed me on the freeway (it was in the HOV lane) and I couldn't
      believe how loud the screeching/whining sound was. Is this normal
      for all of them?
    • DirecPC
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
        Scott:

        we are all test pilots for the Sparrow. there are problems, we all know
        that. but we also know how much fun it is, how good it is, how economical
        it is...a small company with a handful of employees and a lot of desire and
        passion are trying to create a new way we look at transportation, and it
        will not be without some growing pains.

        my early production Sparrow makes NO noise !! I just received #90 as my
        second personal vehicle, and have not had time to drive it yet.

        reconsider !! get back your number and join in the party !! there is
        nothing better than a drive along a quiet winding road in a little electric
        Sparrow !

        emillio
      • Edward Ang
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
          Absolutely right!

          I don't think the Ford Model-T was quiet, but, listen to the cars today. A
          286 personal computer wouldn't do much for a person, but, look at the
          Pentium III's today. A first-generation cell phone was like a brick, but
          you can put a Motorola StarTek in your pocket now. A first generation TV
          ...... My point is that there is always a starting point for everything.
          If you take a look at the mailing list of the GM EV1, the drivers are having
          a lot of problems too. But, no one is willing to return it to the factory
          because of to great feeling of driving an EV. These kinds of problems are
          expected in first-generation products, especially in a complex product like
          a car. Well, some one has to start buying these cars and test them out
          before they have a chance to improve things. Why not me? Otherwise, the
          vision of everyone driving an EV might never come through. Also, do you
          know for how much you can sell a Ford Model-T now?

          Your children or your grand children or your great grand children might one
          day ask: "How could you drive a polluting vehicle and not think about us?!"

          Edward Ang
          Delta Flyer (white #82)

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
            On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 07:18:48AM -0000, Scott Broadbent wrote:
            > I almost bought a sparrow. I had #101 reserved for over a year.
            > After seeing the posts here, I'm glad I didn't. I am wondering:
            > does anyone have a Sparrow that has no problems? Also, a Sparrow
            > passed me on the freeway (it was in the HOV lane) and I couldn't
            > believe how loud the screeching/whining sound was. Is this normal
            > for all of them?

            I think mine's quieter now that all the gunk the former owner put on
            the belt has worn off, but on the other hand, my friend following me
            last night said it was pretty noisy to him.

            A Sparrow isn't for everyone --- you have to look at it as a Beta test
            vehicle. For me, it's so fun to drive and at last I'm free of the gas
            pump that I can overlook a lot of little stuff. I would hate to give
            it up for a trip back to the factory. And maybe I can help make a
            difference --- either by helping to improve the Sparrow itself, or
            simply by being visible and showing that an electric car *is* practical,
            if only the car companies would get off their duffs and make them.

            --
            Alan Batie ______ www.rdrop.com/users/batie Me
            batie@... \ / www.qrd.org The Triangle
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
              An electric car is eminently practical and a whole lot of fun to drive.
              Just ask any Sparrow, EV-1, Honda, RAV-4, or Altra driver. I have and
              everyone I have spoken to has been extremely affirmative. Some vehicles
              have more problems than others but I'd never switch unless forced to.

              Gar Harris
              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Elaine
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2000
                I just want to say that although I'm having lots of problems with my
                Sparrow right now, I don't know what I'd do without it. Living in
                San
                Francisco, it's the IDEAL vehicle. There are lots of places I can go
                now that I wouldn't even bother trying before, because there just
                ISN'T any place to park!

                It's a pain having problems, but it's TOTALLY worth it. I'm also
                encouraged by the fact that when I got my Sparrow, there were no
                noise
                problems for the first several weeks, so I know that a quiet Sparrow
                is a possibility. The brakes were silent, and there wasn't the
                drivetrain noise there is now. (I don't take my Sparrow on the
                freeway, though, because I don't feel comfortable doing 65 in
                something so small-- I barely feel comfortable in my Toyota! I'm
                sure it would be noisy going that fast, since it doesn't have gears.)

                Just a little something I like about my Sparrow: I get the
                "thumbs-up"
                and smiles from people all the time. And when I pass a bicyclist, I
                feel good that unlike everybody else, at least I'm not giving them a
                faceful of exhaust as I go by! Bicyclists are the ones using the
                TRULY non-polluting form of transportation, and I like that I'm not
                making their life any harder than it needs to be. Compared to what
                THEY face every day, I'd take the troubles of a Sparrow owner any
                time!

                - Elaine

                ------
                ---------
                ----------
              • Mitch Williams
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2000
                  --- In sparrow_ev@egroups.com, "Scott Broadbent" <scott@b...> wrote:
                  > I almost bought a sparrow. I had #101 reserved for over a year.
                  > After seeing the posts here, I'm glad I didn't. I am wondering:
                  > does anyone have a Sparrow that has no problems? Also, a Sparrow
                  > passed me on the freeway (it was in the HOV lane) and I couldn't
                  > believe how loud the screeching/whining sound was. Is this normal
                  > for all of them?

                  I've had #70, Silver, since June 1 and just finished passing the 1000
                  mile mark. My only problem has been that I broke the hatch door when
                  I took my briefcase out and put it down and my glasses fell out of my
                  pocket. When I bent over a little further to pick them up, I pushed
                  the door a littl too hard with my posterior and the hinges ripped
                  away from the composite material. I shall be more careful in
                  future. As for the screeching/whining sound, well, since visiting
                  this site, I've found that if you spray a little silicon or use belt
                  dressing before your trip it is amazingly quiet. I've had it on the
                  fwy at 80 mph and felt just fine. People pacing me just shakin their
                  heads and mouthing the word "WOW!" It handles just fine at 70 on a
                  regular day to day basis for the most part.

                  One other problem I had with the controller cutting out on me after
                  getting too hot, imagine that here in Phoenix, but I've found that if
                  I drive conservatively in the afternoons here, the light comes on but
                  it hasn't cut out since that 1st time.

                  Too bad you decided not to get #101, you're going to miss a lot of
                  fun!

                  From the middle of the 'Stinkin Desert'
                  Mitch Williams
                  #70, Silver, flying solo in Phx, AZ
                • petercarp@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2000
                    scott@... writes:

                    << does anyone have a Sparrow that has no problems? Also, a Sparrow
                    passed me on the freeway (it was in the HOV lane) and I couldn't
                    believe how loud the screeching/whining sound was. Is this normal
                    for all of them? >>
                    i have #73 and it is trouble free with 850 miles on it; the whine goes away
                    at about 500 miles but factory has found a way to treat lywheel so that thw
                    whine is no longer present even on new sparrows. i own a MBZ S500 and use the
                    Sparrow much more often than the S500.
                    Peter Carpenter
                  • Jim DeLaHunt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2000
                      At 7:18 AM +0000 7/1/00, Scott Broadbent wrote:
                      >I almost bought a sparrow. I had #101 reserved for over a year. ...

                      And my wife and I are so glad you gave it up, Scott, because we took
                      over the number and we're delighted to be getting our Sparrow sooner.
                      Quick, call Darwin Moters and take our #137 while you still can!

                      I think the yellow sparrow visible in the Webcam today might just be
                      our little Eleduck!
                      --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh@...-alto.ca.us,
                      www.jdlh.palo-alto.ca.us, tel +1-650-327-1721