Optima Trials and Tribulations

  • John G. Lussmyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2007
      Well, my luck with Optima batteries continues.
      History so far:
      Bought 13 Optima BlueTops.
      2 were bad and had to be shipped back for replacement.
      The 2 replacements showed up, and 1 of those was bad.
      The replacement for that showed up - and the shipper had dropped it.
      The replacement for that finally showed up (after an odd delay in
      shipping) and seems to be good.

      I did a few light cycles of the new battery on the bench to bring it to
      close to the rest of the pack. (only had about 6 cycles on the pack so
      far!).

      Note that the Sparrow has sat with the BRB pressed, and one battery out
      with cables disconnected for a month. The only load on the batteries
      were some MKIIC regs.
      I hooked in the new battery, and turned on the PFC40. 9 of the regs
      immediately lit up. Of the 4 "low" ones, the new one and 2 others were
      about .2v below the reg point. So I've put those on a small charger to
      top them off.
      The problem is the 4th low battery. It was QUITE low. Like at 13V or so.
      So I put 12A charger on it. (Standard car battery charger). Set to AGM
      and 12A charge rate. Charger said the battery was at 51%.
      2 hours later, it's at 65%. 3 hours it's still at 65%.

      AARRGGHH!!!