Repainting part of the Sparrow

  • darrylyee
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
      I just purchased a Sparrow that needs part of the front and rear
      repainted. The paint was rubbed off the front and rear when the
      previous owner had the vehicle shipped. I saw the PPG paint codes
      listed on this site. I plan on doing the painting myself.

      My question: Does the Sparrow have a clear coat over the paint? Or
      do I just use PPG paint listed?

      Thanks, Darryl
    • yellow_motors
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
        Darryl,
        I painted the front three fenders on my Sparrow, first I put on just
        the PPG paint and it was dull. So I took it to a shop and they gave me
        some stuff to buff it with. I buffed it and it looked better, but
        didn't match. I ended up taking it to a local shop and they put a clear
        coat on it, and it looked great. So I think it does have a clear coat.
        Good luck!
        YM

        --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "darrylyee" <yeedarryl@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a Sparrow that needs part of the front and rear
        > repainted. The paint was rubbed off the front and rear when the
        > previous owner had the vehicle shipped. I saw the PPG paint codes
        > listed on this site. I plan on doing the painting myself.
        >
        > My question: Does the Sparrow have a clear coat over the paint? Or
        > do I just use PPG paint listed?
        >
        > Thanks, Darryl

      • Edward Ang
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
          The easiest way to find out if it has a clear coat is to look at the
          first-layer dust coming off when you sand paper it. If it matches your
          paint color, it does not have a clear coat. If it is white, it has a clear
          coat.

          --
          Edward Ang
          President

        • SRWILS
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
            I assume it is not clear coated because when I have
            taken wax/cleaner to it comes off red in my rag (color
            of my bird).

            Scot

            --- Edward Ang <EdAng@...> wrote:

            > The easiest way to find out if it has a clear coat
            > is to look at the
            > first-layer dust coming off when you sand paper it.
            > If it matches your
            > paint color, it does not have a clear coat. If it
            > is white, it has a clear
            > coat.
            >
            > On 11/4/06, darrylyee <yeedarryl@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just purchased a Sparrow that needs part of
            > the front and rear
            > > repainted. The paint was rubbed off the front and
            > rear when the
            > > previous owner had the vehicle shipped. I saw the
            > PPG paint codes
            > > listed on this site. I plan on doing the painting
            > myself.
            > >
            > > My question: Does the Sparrow have a clear coat
            > over the paint? Or
            > > do I just use PPG paint listed?
            > >
            > > Thanks, Darryl
            > >

            > --
            > Edward Ang
            > President
            > AIR Lab Corp

            > removed]

            Sponsored Link

            Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service
            http://www.getpacket8.net/yahoo2
          • nicykathryn
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
              These are all good ways to test for a clear coat, and you do need to test yours, because
              various Sparrows had various paints and coatings. Mine (#189) is Cadillac "pearlescent
              white" with a clearcoat; many others had custom paint too, perhaps with or without
              clearcoats.
              Happy painting!