Re: Sparrows and Gensets

  • Terry Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      So tell me John... Would the installation of the EU2000i be as simple
      as running a power cord from our current battery charger through the
      cabin, to the back compartment where the generator would sit and
      plugging it into the generator... Then when extra range is required
      plugging the charger into the new cord's plug, starting the
      generator, of course assuring some good method of exhaust escape....
      then going on our merry way??

      Or would we somehow have to bypass the battery pack altogether and
      just run the Sparrow via the generator in some way??

      Thanks,

      Terry

      --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "John G. Lussmyer" <Cougar@...>
      wrote:

      > Just thought I'd mention that I've continued looking into gensets
      > extend the range of my Sparrow. (Note that I am just extending the
      > range, not providing enough power to run the Sparrow full time.)
      > For the Honda gensets, http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp
      > The EU2000i looks promising. 46lbs efficient and quiet. Might fit
      > in the hatch, or on a rear luggage rack.
      > The EU3000is adds electric start, more power, but the weight goes
      up
      > to 135lbs. Most likely would require a micro-trailer configuration.
      > An alternative is the Kipor gensets,
      > http://kipor.nl/Newsite/content/blogcategory/13/26/
      > They are similar, but less expensive than the Hondas. I'm still
      > trying to find emissions info on them.
      > --
      > John G. Lussmyer mailto:Cougar@...
      > Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....
      http://www.CasaDelGato.com

    • John G. Lussmyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        At 05:59 AM 10/1/2006, Terry Shaw wrote:
        >So tell me John... Would the installation of the EU2000i be as simple
        >as running a power cord from our current battery charger through the
        >cabin, to the back compartment where the generator would sit and
        >plugging it into the generator... Then when extra range is required
        >plugging the charger into the new cord's plug, starting the
        >generator, of course assuring some good method of exhaust escape....
        >then going on our merry way??

        Depends on the variation of the Sparrow, and what has been
        modified. It MAY require disabling the safety interlock on the
        charger as well. (Which is quite easy.)

        I don't really plan on putting the generator in the hatch, I want to
        keep the noise, heat, and exhaust away from me. I've been looking at
        the structure of the Sparrow, and I THINK that I can make a rear rack
        that hangs down in the back to carry the small generator.

        >Or would we somehow have to bypass the battery pack altogether and
        >just run the Sparrow via the generator in some way??

        Not a chance. Last time I checked, a Sparrow requires about 9KW to
        cruise at 60mph, and a LOT more when accelerating or going
        uphill. This generator is only a 2KW unit, and can't supply enough
        power for that.
        Actually, if the original Zivan charger is used, a EU2000i won't be
        quite big enough, since the Zivan can't be throttled back a little,
        and has a lousy Power Factor. It also might get confused as the
        battery voltage changes while driving. It may work with the Kipor
        3000 unit, which supplies 2.6KW.
        I'll be switching to a PFC-30 charger with MKIIC regs. Faster
        charging when plugged in, and can charge from just about any outlet
        you can find. (120 or 240, can use up to 30A, but can be turned down
        if the outlet can't supply that much.)