Re: Zilla and batteries

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Scott,

      I presume you are upgrading a hatchback, not a jellybean. Is the
      DC/DC living in the controller compartment?

      For batteries, best to stick to D34 Yellow Top single posts. The
      D34/78 dual posts have problems with the side posts creating too
      much bulk. The D34M Blue Top with the second posts can work, but
      need to keep the posts from touching any of the hold-down frames.
      The Chemistry is the same for all of the Blue/Yellow Tops. But my
      experience with the D34/78 is that they seem to die sooner.

      The D31 Yellow Top is too large for the Sparrow, unless you are
      willing to install fewer batteries. The battery space is optimized
      for the Optima D34. The current only substitute is the Exide Orbital
      (slightly larger size, rounded corners, 6-pack design, slightly
      lower capacity), but requires some modifications due to 3/4" taller.

      I'm working on an "upgrade" with 20 D51 batteries in a Sparrow, but
      will provide only minor improvements while increasing the pack
      voltage to 240v (x41ah). Slight weight increase, but different
      installation issues due to the battery height and need to notch one
      area under the seat.

      Best to stick to the tried and true on the battery layout. If you
      can move the charger out of the hood, you can install a 14th battery
      (extra on the upper level). But need to protect the DC/DC by having
      it off during recharge as the peak voltage is above the range of the
      stock DC/DC.

      -Ed Thorpe

      --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "fixfxs" <bonedoc@d...> wrote:
      > Hi all
      > My new Zilla controller should be here next week and it will be
      time to start
      > working on my Sparrow which brings up 2 issues.
      > first... any suggestions on the best methods for adapting to Zilla?
      > Jamie I noticed earlier posts from you that you had re wired to
      improve things.
      > Did you happen to draw up any diagrams or take pictures that would
      help a
      > newbe like me?
      > Anyone else with experience in using the Zilla in our sparrows?
      > Second I am pretty sure I will need a new battery pack. I see
      optima yellow
      > tops are original equipment but looking at the optima web site it
      looks like there
      > are different yellow tops?? ("dual purpose" vs commercial?) Anyone
      know which
      > ones I want? DT31a? DT31 b? DT31T?? To quote the optima web
      > site: "OPTIMA's?/B> YellowTop battery comes in several different
      sizes and fits
      > almost any application."
      > Also any suggestions as to the best place to get them?
      > thanks much
      > Scott Hutson
      > Walla Walla WA
    • Jamie Marshall (GAMES)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
        I didn't tale any pictures, though I wanted too. When I set a chance
        I'll get some posted. The one diagram I made was for my wiring harness.
        I'll get a picture of that posted first. It may be some amount of help.