Blinking e-meter

  • w_satterfield
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      My e-meter has started resetting. It resets as I turn the key from
      off to on, but not from on to ignition, or from off to acc. A few
      times the meter has reset while turning on the turn signal.

      It seems likely that the 12 volt supply is dipping too low. Is it
      easiest to test this at the cigarette lighter?

      I have a meter that can lock on the low voltage that it sees, but I
      don't know if it polls fast enough to catch the voltage drop.

      I tried to search the archive, but didn't find the solutions I
      remembered. Someone has used a 14th 12 volt battery for the
      accessories? Someone else used a 9 volt battery and a diode in the
      cigarette lighter?

      Any advice?

      Wade
    • wellis66
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
        you should check for loose connections, but it sounds like you might
        be where i was, and my dc unit quit after a couple of weeks.

        We
        --- In sparrow_ev@yahoogroups.com, "w_satterfield" <wade@s...> wrote:

        > My e-meter has started resetting. It resets as I turn the key from
        > off to on, but not from on to ignition, or from off to acc. A few
        > times the meter has reset while turning on the turn signal.
        >
        > It seems likely that the 12 volt supply is dipping too low. Is it
        > easiest to test this at the cigarette lighter?
        >
        > I have a meter that can lock on the low voltage that it sees, but I
        > don't know if it polls fast enough to catch the voltage drop.
        >
        > I tried to search the archive, but didn't find the solutions I
        > remembered. Someone has used a 14th 12 volt battery for the
        > accessories? Someone else used a 9 volt battery and a diode in the
        > cigarette lighter?
        >
        > Any advice?
        >
        > Wade
      • Peter Carpenter
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          In my experience this is a very common problem which frequently occurs
          when a load is put on the 12v side of the DC/DC convertor and it cannot
          put out enough volts and the e-meter momentarily drops off line.
          Claire put a small rechargeable 12v battery in my sparrow which helps
          and i think there is a capacitor solution posted somewhere.
          Peter
          208