Motor covers

  • Phil Salkie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004

      > That was not the only odd thing about my motor, though. It only has one
      > set of brush-end mounting holes, and they are in the advanced position.

      I'd want to check that - if memory serves, Corbin bought a batch of
      motors with a single brush mounting hole, but I thought they were
      neutral position and required drilling to advance the timing.
      (For what it's worth, #41 had the three-hole setup.)

      > Also, my motor had no dirt in it. He's been inside 3 (or so) other
      > Sparrow motors, and found them to always be filthy with road and brush
      > dust.

      I think that's a result of your next observation...

      > Also unique about my motor was that the brush end is surounded by a
      > fiber-glass cowling that makes a kind of plenum around the vent holes.
      > In most sparrows these vents are covered with foil tape, in mine they
      > are kinda piped together with this cover. The cover is then connected
      > by an air duct to the controller compartment. Presumably this allows
      > air intake into the motor from the controller compartment instead of
      > from the surrounding (dirty) air.

      This cooling cowl is actually shown in the parts lists, and is one of
      the parts I tried to buy from Corbin - unfortunately, it was after
      they basically stopped bothering to sell parts to people. The idea
      was to use the motor's fan to help move air through the controller
      compartment, while keeping road junk out of the motor. I'm definitely
      going to have to fab something like this up for my bird.

      Phil Salkie
      Sparrow #41, Lime Green, "Falcon of Fong"